Topic: Road Atlanta Recap

Our car owner will likely chime in later with a full race summary, but I'll get the ball rolling with an executive summary:

1. Friday was miserable. Cold, wet, typical RA in December  : )
2. The rest of the weekend was perfect for racing.

Congratulations to the Save the Ta Tas "Cadillac" for winning overall, and to all of the class winners and other trophy winners.

Special thanks to the Lemons staff for a well run event, and to the Road Atlanta Corner workers.

Extra special thanks to the amazing guys in the tow/ramp trucks who put themselves in harm's way to keep us racing. I wonder where they would have finished in the race with the amount of laps they turned while retrieving busted crapcans and keeping us safe. 

Peter
Hong Norrth Racing

Peter St Pierre             #63 Hong Norrth "C" Supra
     5th Place: 2016 CMP Fall
     6th place: 2015 Autobahn 24 hour
     2nd place: 2014 CMP Fall : 17th place: 2014 CMP Southern Discomfort Spring

2 (edited by Klayfish 2019-12-16 06:12 AM)

Re: Road Atlanta Recap

I'll give a bit of a different perspective.  I had the chance to volunteer for Lemons at this race.  I was the "new" guy working gear tech on Friday and pit road on Saturday and Sunday. I've run 36 races as a driver and always wanted to see behind the scenes and try working a race.  It was fabulous.  Don't get me wrong, I still like being on track more, but I had a great time.  All of the Lemons staff is nothing but first class.  I fully plan to work more races when I'm not driving, and am hoping to be at Barber to work.

Thanks to all of you drivers.  Everyone showed patience with me and was very friendly, which made my job so much easier.  When I was working pit out I did my best to get you on track as quick as possible while still checking everything I needed to.  Thanks for cooperating with me, especially those in containment seats as it's hard to see your HANS hook ups...leaning your head forward made it SO much easier.

Congrats to all the winners, and to all the new cars too.  If you're at Barber, stop by and say hello!

Three Pedal Mafia

Jack of all trades (???) Lemons staff

Fast lap of the race for Hong Norrth.  Damn fast lap and still a bit of traffic.  So proud of the guys this weekend.  It was a ball!

https://youtu.be/3BHgBpzOekI

1:45.598

Mark G. Davis - Hong Norrth Mazda MX3
https://www.facebook.com/#!/hongnorrth
www.e3storage.com

First time at Road Atlanta and only second Lemons race (CMP 24 2019) and had a blast.  Man that is a fun track.  The elevation change is spooky at first but very fun once you get comfortable.  Also very impressed with the spectator seating and various locations.  Wish we had two races a year here!

Congrats to all the winners and thanks to everyone who helped put this show together.

We had a blast and were so thankful for the dry weather this year.  Saturday was cold and windy. but Sunday's weather was absolutely perfect for racing.

I hated to see the Rod Throwin' Fools MR2 drop out after leading almost the entire race.  The were extremely courteous for a team that fast IMO.  During my stints I never saw a single asshat-type move from them.  I can't say the same for the TaTas.

I had a lot of fun on Saturday racing nose to tail with the #42 Surreal Racing Civic.  We ran really close for about 15 laps until I was finally able to use the old pick-n-roll to get by.  I have a lot of video of the back of your car if you'd like to see it.  smile

We ended up 7th overall, which was pretty good seeing that we visited the penalty box four times.  After two races with lots of engine problems, we didn't turn a wrench on our car all weekend.  Road Atlanta was so easy on tires that not only did we not change ours, we didn't need to even rotate them. That's almost unheard of in a FWD car.  We still have enough tires and brakes left for Barber.

I will say that Tech is getting petty on some little things, while seemingly letting more dangerous stuff slide.  Also somebody needed to tell the Kone Killer's Solstice that the pace lap didn't need to be 15 MPH.  Seriously, I've seen faster cars in the paddock.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

VKZ24 wrote:

Also somebody needed to tell the Kone Killer's Solstice that the pace lap didn't need to be 15 MPH.  Seriously, I've seen faster cars in the paddock.

FYI: We usually say "20 mph" to the first car in line so we can get everybody on the track in one line to get a nice, orderly transponder check for the timing crew. Adding any additional complications to that order like "You can go faster on the second pace lap" is asking for trouble. Simple instructions get results in Lemons (and most racing).

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

VKZ24 wrote:

I will say that Tech is getting petty on some little things, while seemingly letting more dangerous stuff slide.  Also somebody needed to tell the Kone Killer's Solstice that the pace lap didn't need to be 15 MPH.  Seriously, I've seen faster cars in the paddock.

You literally just said tech is letting dangerous stuff slide without providing any details.

Do you think it might be a good Idea to point those out if they're actually dangerous?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

(Note: links to Sunday video are in the pics/vids forum section. Saturday video is…unusable)

Licensed To Ill (Central Operations) had a great race at Road Atlanta. Indeed, it felt like #808 was the belle of the ball. Most Lemons folk on the West Coast already know this truck – it’s Jesse Cortez’s 1985 Chevy S10 done up 80’s mini-truck style. The truck now resides with yours truly in the Louisville, Kentucky area. It’d been to two races already this year: Pittsburgh and June’s Gingerman affair, where it happened to win class B.

We made the tow down in the Porkchop Express, my very lemony 1986 Western Star toterhome with 1996 S&S Welding stacker trailer. Fortunately, with the Jake brake and recent upgrade to self-adjusting drums at all corners, the tow through the mountains near Chattanooga went without issue. What didn’t go without issue: arriving Thursday at 7 PM into Atlanta rush-hour traffic in the 36° ceaseless downpour. Fuck that traffic straight to hell. 

Having been duly apprised of the extreme likelihood of terrible weather conditions at Road Atlanta and the historical basis for same, Jesse decided that bouncing out for the race didn’t fit his – or any other reasonable person’s – M.O.. Blame could not find him in that regard, but we were nevertheless saddened at marshalling the effort without his presence. The ad-hoc driver’s roster for the race consisted, then, of Cameron Kurth, Ben Dawson, and yours truly. 

Cameron’s an experienced 808 operator, but had never raced at Road Atlanta. In addition to being an excellent driver, Cameron’s a super-smart engineer who worked as a consultant with Falken on the very tires we were running (and also patient with my non-stop jokes about how the 615K+ is better because it has extra potassium). I handed him the pressure gauge and let him do his thing. Don’t ask me what pressures we were running – I don’t know. And I couldn’t remember even if I had once known. Get it?! OK just kidding we started at 35 psi cold.

Ben’s quite well experienced at Road Atlanta, but had never driven 808. In addition to being an excellent driver, Ben is…he’s…um…probably beautiful like on the inside, if that makes any sense.

Testing day was almost literally a wash, with the standard Lemons-at-Road-Atlanta 36-degree day-long downpour. Cameron was able to turn some laps in the wet to refamiliarize himself a bit with the track. I took like five practice laps to make sure everything felt OK and called it good.

Next it was tech time! Always a pleasure to head to tech and see John Pagel, who himself built the cage on 808. The body-on-frame construction requires a different cage building technique than unibody, something a tech inspector earlier in the year didn’t appreciate as he pointed out that the “spreader plates in the floor aren’t fully welded.” At BS inspection, we were given a choice as to whether we wanted B with laps for having won Gingerman, or Class A. We went with the former, as it’s felt that, as equipped, 808 cannot be competitive for an A win. So we started in Class B with six penalty laps.

By race start Saturday, the rain had mostly passed. The track started out wet and misty, but eventually dried out. The painted curbing, not surprisingly, remained extremely slick for the better part of the day. All of the 808 drivers had clean stints, and I think all of our pit stops coincided with either a double yellow or just before the black flag on Saturday. We’d managed to claw our way back to P2 in B, a lap down on the leader and 11th overall, by the end of the day Saturday.

Sunday’s schedule at Road Atlanta is unusual, with a 1.5 hour sprint happening from 8:30 to 10:00. Then jesus hours 10 to noon, with racing resuming noon to five. We sent arguably our most agro driver out for the sprint: Ol’ Benny Boy. His stint Saturday was (ostensibly) slowed by directive from pits to reel it in a bit and make two hours on fuel no problem. But now TEH ALABAMAH SLAMMAH Ben Dawson hisself was “weapons free” on an hour-and-a-half rage through traffic. In the first half-hour he’d not only passed P1 to get on the lead lap, he was comin’ on to take the P1 position shortly thereafter. That is, until he ran out of brakes at the end of the straight and went two-off saving a spin. He was flagged for four-off and reported to the penalty box, dick firmly stomped. Who amongst us hasn’t been there?  But no huge deal, these things happen, we can get it back, etc. etc. Ol’ boy goes back out and is immediately flagged again “for what I don’t know.” Turns out, mechanical BF because the brake lights were staying on. Quick trip to the pits and a bungee cord later, Ben went back out, but we’d already been set back quite a ways by the end of the sprint. This wasn’t how it was supposed to go! 

After noon, we kept fighting on, expecting the leader to break down or dick-step, either being likely scenarios in Lemons. But with about 1.5 hours left under FCY, 808 made a bad clanging noise that might be a rod, might be the clutch coming apart, might be something else. But in any event it was enough to cause me to shut it down immediately and get towed in. Womp womp.

During my 5.5 hours of driving 808, it seemed like most folks were driving pretty OK. I personally didn’t see a lot of scary moves, and I think only one BMW aggressively tried to block me rather than succumb to the reality that a leaf-spring Chevy truck was gonna eat its lunch. Surprise, dummy. This POS didn’t just materialize like some truck-consciousness Q on your BMW Enterprise. It’s going faster than you and will get by you. Just relax and let it happen.

Thanks for a great race y’all! Congrats to all the winners. Condolences to all the teams with cars that got stacked into a wall. Thanks again to the Singer clan for the bomb jambalaya, and everyone who made chili for the cook off.

Pittsburgh is likely next for 808.
(my statements are my own and should not be imputed to either of the fine gentlemen who drove with me this weekend)
xoxo

808 was hauling ass!

I was behind it a while going this truck is blocking me up, then realized we were doing very respectable lap times. Nice job guys.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Thanks, man! The truck worked _surprisingly well_ at Road Atlanta. I figured our fast lap might wind up to be a 1:53, but we could regularly run 1:52-1:53 and had a 1:50 flier. I was out first on Saturday and seem to recall knocking through traffic for quite a while with #35.

Troy wrote:

808 was hauling ass!

I was behind it a while going this truck is blocking me up, then realized we were doing very respectable lap times. Nice job guys.

Had a blast in the #287 Bunch of Idiots miata. Aka the purple pop copy one. Played hard with the Porshatt on Sunday afternoon. A good 50? minute battle or more. Wish the camera stayed running but it cut off one lap in. Anybody know those guys I would like to say hey to the driver as that was a ton of fun. Looked for them after the race but could not find them. We pushed hard with our 189k 1.6. Could out run a lot of people from turn 10a to turn 5 but after than we had no straight line speed. I pulled a lot of sub 2 mins on Sunday as I got better with traffic and started making more passes with a best time of the weekend of a 1:54.8. Loads of fun. Now to just find a little more power on the straights and get our other drivers average laps down some. Was interesting making passes in places I said I would not like to pass.

As for safety stuff we got tagged for speeding in the paddock on Saturday. Driver said speedo was at 10mph or less as he was dealing with foot traffic. Even a friend of ours on another team was like you got hit for speeding going that slow as he had watched us come in. It was hard to see the speedo in the video from but it looks to be at 10mph or even less due to the foot traffic in the area. Oh well it is what it is. They lets us off with the car going back out and the team getting to do a 10mph sign. We kept it at 5mph the rest of the weekend as well as our buddies. There was another miata that had come flying  into the paddock right before us going to black flag so who knows. Maybe Lemons needs to drop it to 5mph if you want walking pace?

Either way fun weekend and will see yall at barber with the 189k 1.6 Miata.

Thank you Lord for the fine weather.  Lucky win for us, fully expected the Rod Throwers  to make it all the way they were running so well.  We try to be clean on the track and was very disappointed that the 411 team saw us as "asshats".  We normally hear from other teams that we race clean.  Without knowing the details (we live streamed every minute of the race) and after reviewing our video we can't identify what prompted the comment from 411.  We did have a rookie (but experienced NASA) driver who made contact but that was an isolated incident which did not affect any other team.

From the BumbleBee team we thought you guys had a good clean race. We watch for the TaTas and about a half dozen other cars and try to stay out of the way when we can. But we are running fast enough that we are not driving in our mirrors. Your closing rate is so fast that you will sometimes catch us by surprise and cause us to check up or unexpectedly leave the race line. That is just racing, no contact and cars staying on the track.

rmarc7828 wrote:

Thank you Lord for the fine weather.  Lucky win for us, fully expected the Rod Throwers  to make it all the way they were running so well.  We try to be clean on the track and was very disappointed that the 411 team saw us as "asshats".  We normally hear from other teams that we race clean.  Without knowing the details (we live streamed every minute of the race) and after reviewing our video we can't identify what prompted the comment from 411.  We did have a rookie (but experienced NASA) driver who made contact but that was an isolated incident which did not affect any other team.

Let's just say that IMO you are a little too aggressive for having the 2nd fastest car in the race.  Even when I pointed you by, I never got a thank you wave.  That's no big deal, just a pet peeve of mine. The Hong Horrth guys are also really aggressive, but they drive a momentum car, so they kind of have to be, but you don't with your huge HP differential.  On the back straight, we could only hit 115MPH in 5th gear, and that's all we've got.  With your V8 power, I'd expect you to be hitting 140, which makes sketchy moves unnecessary IMO. 

All that said, I'm not saying I'm perfect either.  Not like I've never made a sketchy move myself.  I also drive a momentum car, but have only had contact twice in my 10 years in Lemons, only one of which was my fault.

Actually I thought most of the overall driving at this RA race was pretty good, especially considering how man cars ended up in the wall.

I don't recall the specific incident, and I'm sure it made me frustrated at the time, as we all get sometimes during a race.  I will say if you can't at least give me a "thank you for getting the f*ck out my way" wave in the future, I'll just stop being so courteous.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!