Topic: modifying floor/trans tunnel

I assume this is fine? I bought a car and (foolishly) put a grand of wheels and tires on it before I test fitted my seat  and am pretty sure to get enough clearance from the cage I'm going to need to cut out and replace the front floor stiffener/seatmount. I'm assuming the floor is fair game since I feel like 've seen builds where there was no factory floor at all....

Re: modifying floor/trans tunnel

As far as I know it’s fine, just make sure it is sturdy and no holes to the outside

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I had to cut my trans tunnel out and replaced with aluminum "dog box" no drama with tech but next time I will make more effort to seal it as we had a lot of condensation issues and I think it was in part due to water getting in and sitting on the floorboards, it also got louder so considering sound deadening.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Dog House, If you replaced your transmission with a dog box you'd be a cheaty bastid.

And you'd shift really well.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

yeah the more I think about this the more I think there's no problem. Talked to a couple of cage fabricators and they said they've done things like this before to fit seats for many different race orgs and not had any problems. Emailed John Pagel just in case.

I would ensure the seat is attached to your cage and not the floor.  Build a seat frame that’s attached to the cage.

You don’t want the seat to ever be separated from the cage.  Then the floor is just a floor.  I’ve seen seat bolts even with large fender washers  rip holes in floors

7 (edited by stickman 2020-02-28 11:08 AM)

fab shop did this. Pagel approved smilehttp://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1iJUPgTXXWScdcPpXKRlwQX3QNv8gwXIL

Hey Stickman, I'm running an NX2000 out of NJ.  Let me know if you have any questions with it.  Where are you out of?

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix