Re: Limiting Speed Creep - Formalizing Penalty Laps?

Our full time 9 year old Lemons E30 has a 2:04 at HPR.  We have about  35 races of development with several tweaks and changes.  Ultimately it was built by checkbook rules that Lemons allows.  With that many races it means I have 150+ hours of endurance racing in it.  That lap time was during a WRL race where traffic is much faster and you have some freedom to push it hard. So probably not comparable to a Lemons race with slow traffic to deal with. 

To give perspective, we are only a second or two faster than the other fast teams in the Midwest.  So maybe a fringe Lemons car, but not really absurd compared to others. 

So, again, don’t feel bad about being fast if you want to be fast.   

But it’s fun to think about building a reliable slow car too.   I smiled a lot driving our Geo back in the day.

fschlottau wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

I’m not saying this to change your mind, but you have a reliable car that is close to winning a race.  Don’t take it for granted what it is teaching you every time you get to the track and are able to churn laps.  Broken cars that you can’t drive and just spend all weekend wrenching on certainly amuses the judges, but it doesn’t make you any better at racing.
To give perspective on whether your current car is in the “spirit of Lemons” ... and you definitely are... When we were at HPR with WRL I ran a 2:04 in our Lemons car.   You are NOT the issue.  We probably are. 

Good luck on your car building.

Thanks for the feedback - a lot of it resonates. We've been tossing around a bit - we definitely don't want to drive a car that is constantly breaking, but if we do build another one, it better be entertaining AND mostly reliable.  That would be ideal. 90% entertaining racing, 10% lemon-zest.  Delicious. A pint of lemon juice (90%) with a crumb of racing (10%) is not my idea of a good time.

As for winning outright, this last race we checked a box of winning A (barely), which was a lot of fun, but also somewhat stressful.  Hats off to egesledder - they have built a hell of a machine, and deservedly won overall! I think a "C" car is in our future.  We'll keep the other one nearby, jsut in case. 

BTW, what Lemons car runs 2:04??  that's ridiculously fast! (too fast for Lemons, as you stated?)  I guess WRL is a better match there.

Cheers

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

TeamLemon-aid wrote:

That lap time was during a WRL race where traffic is much faster and you have some freedom to push it hard.

Translation: "That lap time was during a WRL race where there's barely any cars on the track compared to a Lemons race."

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Quote for truth.  Only 22 cars that race I think.

Guildenstern wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

That lap time was during a WRL race where traffic is much faster and you have some freedom to push it hard.

Translation: "That lap time was during a WRL race where there's barely any cars on the track compared to a Lemons race."

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Guildenstern wrote:
TeamLemon-aid wrote:

There were 32 at Daytona when we ran with them... we finished 4th in GP2 behind three MX5 Cup Cars.... had a shot at third

whatever it was i didn't do it
dorifto dogs E30 - gone but not forgotten

Lee Ho Fook's Racing E36

We have the fast lap time in the Lemons race at Texas World Speedway in 2012 of a 2:02! That was 100% that driver and I don't think a Chump/Champ Car ever beat that. It was faster than most WRL cars too but I think the Boxsters beat that. No one else in my car has ever come close to that lap time we're maybe 2:07ish.

We were pretty active with WRL up to 2017 between my car and my Frank's 240Z. Our last WRL race was the 3rd and actual Final Checker at TWS where we finished 2nd in GP2 with Frank's 240Z. Lower car counts probably accommodate for more speed but somehow there is more contact. Since that race Frank fixed all the body damage on his car. Now we don't feel like we'd be competitive and don't want to risk the body damage so we're focused on racing my car with Lemons.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Pick your car wisely. If you grab a 95 corolla don't expect to keep up with a Gen 3 V8 F-body.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Troy wrote:

We have the fast lap time in the Lemons race at Texas World Speedway in 2012 of a 2:02! That was 100% that driver and I don't think a Chump/Champ Car ever beat that. It was faster than most WRL cars too but I think the Boxsters beat that. No one else in my car has ever come close to that lap time we're maybe 2:07ish.

We were pretty active with WRL up to 2017 between my car and my Frank's 240Z. Our last WRL race was the 3rd and actual Final Checker at TWS where we finished 2nd in GP2 with Frank's 240Z. Lower car counts probably accommodate for more speed but somehow there is more contact. Since that race Frank fixed all the body damage on his car. Now we don't feel like we'd be competitive and don't want to risk the body damage so we're focused on racing my car with Lemons.

you can't compare lap times at a Champ event with Lemons. Lemons there are 100+ on the track. It is WAY harder to compete with a Lemons car in Champ than the other way around. The reason for more contact is Champ is more aggressive and 90% of the cars are fast. Not bashing either series. This is our old 84 305 Trans Am (RIP) this car was one of the fastest at Lemons events but mid-pack at a Champ/Chump event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpZHzZYXhJQ&t=254s

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Troy wrote:

you can't compare lap times at a Champ event with Lemons. Lemons there are 100+ on the track. It is WAY harder to compete with a Lemons car in Champ than the other way around. The reason for more contact is Champ is more aggressive and 90% of the cars are fast. Not bashing either series. This is our old 84 305 Trans Am (RIP) this car was one of the fastest at Lemons events but mid-pack at a Champ/Chump event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpZHzZYXhJQ&t=254s

I do not believe a Chump Car ever beat our Lemons lap record at Texas World Speedway set in 2012.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

34 (edited by Mr.Yuck 2020-01-10 08:16 AM)

I do not believe a Chump Car ever beat our Lemons lap record at Texas World Speedway set in 2012.

Have you run in Chump/Champ lately? You want to talk about Speed creep. The points have been dropped to almost nothing. Our car was around 480 in 2014-15. The same car now w/ intake and carb is around 400.

Mr.Yuck wrote:

The reason for more contact is Champ is more aggressive and 90% of the cars are fast.

There's more contact in Chump, because they allow it. (even intentional contact doesn't get flagged)

There are just as many cars on track with Lemons with much greater speed differentials, yet there's very little contact. That's because Jay and Company Do. Not. Allow. that shit. A decade or so ago, there was much "rubbin' is racein'" in Lemons, but they started flagging and parking people, and that shit stopped.

Duff Beer Civic (#128) -- 2014 Sebring - Class B (#1 of 7), 2016 Barber - Class B
1981 Jet Electrica 007 [Plymouth Horizon TC3] (#128) -- Mk.1 - Index of Effluency Eco (IOEe) @ 2016 Lemons South Fall, Mk.2 - Judges' Choice @ 2017 'Shine Country Classic, Mk.3 - Index of Effluency @ 2017 Southern Discomfort

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Have you run in Chump/Champ lately? You want to talk about Speed creep. The points have been dropped to almost nothing. Our car was around 480 in 2014-15. The same car now w/ intake and carb is around 400.

No, I have never raced in Chump. I was pointing out that I believe Lemons fast lap at Texas World Speedway from 2012 may be faster than any Chump race there. WRL did beat it high dollar Boxsters.

WRL is quite fast today, some is the cars and a lot may be the reduced traffic. Yesterdays race at MSR had fast laps in the 1:40s across the field but only 25 cars.

jfbeam wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

The reason for more contact is Champ is more aggressive and 90% of the cars are fast.

There's more contact in Chump, because they allow it. (even intentional contact doesn't get flagged)

There are just as many cars on track with Lemons with much greater speed differentials, yet there's very little contact. That's because Jay and Company Do. Not. Allow. that shit. A decade or so ago, there was much "rubbin' is racein'" in Lemons, but they started flagging and parking people, and that shit stopped.

Agreed, we are faster than a LOT of the field in Lemons with a much greater differential than many other organizations. We don't run into people or get run into.

I don't think speed differentials are the problem. If other organizations actually enforced their contact rules like Lemons, there would be less contact.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

jfbeam wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

not really sure about that, there are way more cars at Lemons events, The Chump guys take it more seriously and most run hard (we do not) And as far as I know anytime you make contact you come in....AMHIK.

I was at the Champ race at Laguna Seca, and what they say is NO CONTACT.  But they understand that minor incidental contact can happen and essentially no harm, no foul.  The miatas guys are used to running bumper to bumper like nascar, so they bump each other.

Mr.Yuck wrote:
jfbeam wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

not really sure about that, there are way more cars at Lemons events, The Chump guys take it more seriously and most run hard (we do not) And as far as I know anytime you make contact you come in....AMHIK.

You must have never run a Chump event at VIR or Watkins Glen.  I've seen more contact in one hour than an entire Lemons weekend.  Penalties for contact are super rare in my experience.  They absolutely believe in the "rubbin is racing" mantra.  Don't believe it?  Go to the VIR 24 and see if you can find a contending car with a straight body panel.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

I'm not too worried about speed and budget creep at the pointy end.  It seems the judges only scrutinize budgets for fast cars.  I think it works fairly well.  They've certainly never scrutinized my budget.  We have a middle of the road B class car, and we have gotten better at this during our 11 races or so. So we've gone from finishing barely in the top half to the top quarter when we don't break.
BUT...

I do think there is room for improvement.  My complaint is that B and C class are way way too inclusive.  I do not believe I have been in a race where there were fewer than 3 B class cars in the overall top 10 (out of 150 or more).  We have also never been in a race in which our B class car beat all the C class cars.  I think the classing is off when you have to finish in the top 10 overall to have a shot at a B class win and the top 15-20 overall to have a shot at the C class win.

Class is about build and team philosophy not speed.

B class teams end up in the top ten because A class teams fail, not because the B class team’s car is too fast for B.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

VKZ24 wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
jfbeam wrote:

You must have never run a Chump event at VIR or Watkins Glen.  I've seen more contact in one hour than an entire Lemons weekend.  Penalties for contact are super rare in my experience.  They absolutely believe in the "rubbin is racing" mantra.  Don't believe it?  Go to the VIR 24 and see if you can find a contending car with a straight body panel.

We have done VIR twice w/o incident... one of my fave tracks. Meanwhile we have been hit twice at Lemons in NJMP (by the same car no less in the same spot)

Mr.Yuck wrote:

Meanwhile we have been hit twice at Lemons in NJMP (by the same car no less in the same spot)

Twice during the same race, or different races?

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

Meanwhile we have been hit twice at Lemons in NJMP (by the same car no less in the same spot)

Twice during the same race, or different races?

2 times same spot same team 2 different races. ratty 300zx maybe 280

Been off the board for a bit so catching up.

Seems that "speed creep" has been a buzz word through the Lemons community recently.  I throw out two points...

1: "Speed creep" exists in production cars.  As years progress, the cars need to as well.  Reality, look at 0-60 times (yea, I know, it's a loose qualifier)

1983 Mustang 7.0 sec
1996 Mustang 6.6 sec

2006 Rav4 6.4 sec

Oh, and it got better gas mileage too.  How would you class a hooptie build Rav4 versus a SN95 Mustang?  And what's the reality for speed differential?  Yea yea, $500 my @$$ on the Rav; it's still a compact SUV, not something touted as a "performance" sport coupe.

2: I only want to hear "speed creep" from teams that;

a. Ran 1.5~2 hours minimum per stint
b. Got zero black flags
c. Had zero mechanical issues
d. All of their driver's have seat experience and can turn laps +/- 2 sec of each other
e. Aren't taking 10 min per pit stop because Bob forgot he was supposed to be filling the gas.
f. failed to finish top 10 meeting the above criteria

TeamLemon-aid is/was our benchmark.  Are they fast, yes.  Are they on the edge of cheaty, sure.  But they did A through E 9 races out of 10.  Plus they were courteous driver's that made smart decisions on track.  And they win because of it.  Kudo's to your team.

I'm not for punishing teams that win because they're clean and fast.  Now, if teams that get 3 black flags and can still beat a solid car that gets zero in the same class, maybe there's some handicap required.

What about the numbnutz who try to be as fast as the top of the pack and just end up crashing other drivers out because they don't know how to drive a fast car, but bought one anyways because that's how you "win Lemons" and/or "That's how other racing brand the car was built for races."?

Can you hear from the people who are victims of them?

What about the Joyless Paddock hogs who never participate in the evening, eat up all the space around their paddock, hide their car overnight while they eff off to the hotel before sunset, generally fowl either the hot pit or the paddock lanes with a miss parked car and 5 or 6 people trying to stumblebum their way through a quick driver change, And clog up the airways with constant jibber like a NASCAR spotter (some times with a garbage chinese radio leaking signal all over the channel band) all so they can still end up in the lower half of the top ten behind a Class B car, or again crash out and take collateral damage with them?

Can you hear from the people who have to park next to them all weekend?

I just want to know what we are or aren't allowed to say in your presence about this.

Hardrvin wrote:

Been off the board for a bit so catching up.

Seems that "speed creep" has been a buzz word through the Lemons community recently.  I throw out two points...

1: "Speed creep" exists in production cars.  As years progress, the cars need to as well.  Reality, look at 0-60 times (yea, I know, it's a loose qualifier)

1983 Mustang 7.0 sec
1996 Mustang 6.6 sec

2006 Rav4 6.4 sec

Oh, and it got better gas mileage too.  How would you class a hooptie build Rav4 versus a SN95 Mustang?  And what's the reality for speed differential?  Yea yea, $500 my @$$ on the Rav; it's still a compact SUV, not something touted as a "performance" sport coupe.

2: I only want to hear "speed creep" from teams that;

a. Ran 1.5~2 hours minimum per stint
b. Got zero black flags
c. Had zero mechanical issues
d. All of their driver's have seat experience and can turn laps +/- 2 sec of each other
e. Aren't taking 10 min per pit stop because Bob forgot he was supposed to be filling the gas.
f. failed to finish top 10 meeting the above criteria

TeamLemon-aid is/was our benchmark.  Are they fast, yes.  Are they on the edge of cheaty, sure.  But they did A through E 9 races out of 10.  Plus they were courteous driver's that made smart decisions on track.  And they win because of it.  Kudo's to your team.

I'm not for punishing teams that win because they're clean and fast.  Now, if teams that get 3 black flags and can still beat a solid car that gets zero in the same class, maybe there's some handicap required.

We meet these requirements without an overall win but many near misses. The TMMI Camry won at NOLA and Barber. We got burned at NOLA when they got off easy on their fueling penalty then they got away with a spin that the corner workers called but never black flagged them for it. We have since upsized our fuel cell and could have given them a good run for the win at Barber had our car not been "retired" at Road Atlanta.

We're also guilty of lots of radio chatter and using Chinese radios. I think our paddock etiquette is good.

We're on the verge of 300hp being the norm as early 2000 cars are tanking in value. 2008's E30 is today's E46 or even the next Gen 3-series. As already mentioned, they get better fuel economy too. Winning ain't getting easier.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

48 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-02-07 01:02 PM)

I haven't seen an E90 3 series yet!

Me either but they are getting cheap.

Ginger is doing well with e34s too.

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Guildenstern wrote:

What about the numbnutz who try to be as fast as the top of the pack and just end up crashing other drivers out because they don't know how to drive a fast car, but bought one anyways because that's how you "win Lemons" and/or "That's how other racing brand the car was built for races."?

Can you hear from the people who are victims of them?

What about the Joyless Paddock hogs who never participate in the evening, eat up all the space around their paddock, hide their car overnight while they eff off to the hotel before sunset, generally fowl either the hot pit or the paddock lanes with a miss parked car and 5 or 6 people trying to stumblebum their way through a quick driver change, And clog up the airways with constant jibber like a NASCAR spotter (some times with a garbage chinese radio leaking signal all over the channel band) all so they can still end up in the lower half of the top ten behind a Class B car, or again crash out and take collateral damage with them?

Can you hear from the people who have to park next to them all weekend?

I just want to know what we are or aren't allowed to say in your presence about this.

Majority of that has little to do with speed creep; sounds more like a personal attack directed at pretty specific teams.

I can see validity in that speed creep can create more dangerous conditions for drivers less prepared.

Or is your primary point that Lemons overall direction should be 1: entertainment 2: camaraderie and 3. racing?