Topic: Sunroof closure

New to Lemons, obviously. We have an open. Sunroof and are debating how to close it and not fail tech. Can we use copoly plastic or does it have to be sheet metal? Thanks in advance.

Re: Sunroof closure

To be "right" I'd use a piece of sheet metal (steel) in 20-24 gauge and just pop rivet it in place. You can also add some sealer before you do this to keep any rain/water out. The weight of that piece of metal isn't enough to be concerned about.

According to the rules:

3.J.6 No Open Sunroofs. All sunroof openings must be covered by either the original sunroof panel; a new panel securely fixed into place; or securely fixed mesh with openings no larger than 1/2-inch each. Glass T-tops or moonroof must be replaced with sturdy non-breakable material, or all drivers must wear arm restraints.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Before you close it up, consider welding in a helmet bar across the halo to extend the height of the cage. The bar will have one bend in it that puts the top of it up in the opening of the sunroof. It will create more distance between the top of the drivers helmet and the upper plane of cage. Then cover the sunroof hole with sheet metal.

Know that whatever you do, it's going to make a racket.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

The previous owner was just welded the metal part in four spots.  Given it is at the top, I considered replacing it with a sheet of aluminum instead, or at least cutting out the internal structure like I did with the hood and doors.   However, when thinking of getting in a rollover, seems it be safer to keep it stronger so if you rollover something it doesn't punch through it into your helmet.  So I am being lazy and saying it is safer.  Works for me.

My previously built car came with the original sunroof mechanism gutted and the metal sunroof welded/bolted into place.  There were significant gaps around it which we found was perfect for dripping water all over our driver in the rain.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to practice your bridging technique with the welder.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Covered it with a piece of sheet metal and welded it all the way around. Has never leaked and makes no noise.

rb92673 wrote:

My previously built car came with the original sunroof mechanism gutted and the metal sunroof welded/bolted into place.  There were significant gaps around it which we found was perfect for dripping water all over our driver in the rain.

Yep, duct taped the seams on ours.  I bought some caulk to fill it as tape is not a permanent solution.

Guildenstern wrote:

Know that whatever you do, it's going to make a racket.

No it won't. Our saab has a piece of 20gauge riveted over the opening with caulking sealing the whole thing. The only time it makes noise is when you smack it with something. It's never made any noise at all when racing/driving. When you rivet it down and force it to bend slightly in each direction you stiffen the panel a lot and it no longer vibrates and resonates like a free standing sheet.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Reading the rules makes it sound like a breakable sunroof needs to be closed up so driver and driver limbs don't go flying out.

Can we leave the glass panel in place but attach something non breakable and solid say sheet metal to the underside?

sommmatt wrote:

Reading the rules makes it sound like a breakable sunroof needs to be closed up so driver and driver limbs don't go flying out.

Can we leave the glass panel in place but attach something non breakable and solid say sheet metal to the underside?

You would need to cover the glass panel on the outside as well as the inside in order to contain the glass if  it should break if you were to roll the car over.

But the rule states that glass panels must be removed so your question may be moot.