Topic: The curb weight rule

So my family has had this 2007 Mercury Mountaineer since it was new. She's worn out and has over 220,000 miles. Big V8 automatic transmission in it. The value of it is scrap weight alone. Looking over the rules and trying to weigh out if this would be a candidate for something like this lead me to the curb weight rule (under 4200lbs curb weight as stated by the manufacturer) this thing weighs 4600-4900 as stated by Mercury. Right afterwards it says that wavers may be granted. Now me and my brothers all want to run the wheels of this beast and see if we can put her in the grave properly. How can we get approval for this vehicle before we strip it for every nickel it's worth and weld in a cage?

Re: The curb weight rule

Waivers are not uncommon for this rule...but to be honest, they want a plan to make it safe, or team they know have done so in the past.  This one straddles the John Pagel, Jay "that guy" Lamm border but Pagel is the right call to email.  All of them are listed somewhere here on the website.

There is no compelling reason to get an exception for that vehicle. 
I'm certain without any doubt you can find something better.  Where do you live?

nimblemotorsports wrote:

There is no compelling reason to get an exception for that vehicle. 
I'm certain without any doubt you can find something better.  Where do you live?

Oh we could definitely get something better but this is the old family car and it's been decently reliable. The idea is this would be a great way to end it with a good memory. Run it till it blows up or wins something. This kind of race also let's everyone take a turn behind the wheel as we push it to the breaking point.

I can appreciate  wanting to extend the utility of ye ole family transporter to racecar, but
heavy cars are not allowed because they are dangerous to the other drivers.
The high COG of this truck also makes it dangerous to its own driver.

You might be able to strip it down to bare minimums and lower it down to make it viable.
There are trucks and vans that have done this in Lemons racing.

But do be aware it is thousands of dollars to build a racecar even if the base vehicle was free.
If you don't expect to continue racing it, it is a rather expensive proposition for a one-race experience.
If you do continue to race it, the fuel and tire and brake expenses will easily be double that for other lighter cars.

OnkelUdo wrote:

Waivers are not uncommon for this rule...but to be honest, they want a plan to make it safe, or team they know have done so in the past.  This one straddles the John Pagel, Jay "that guy" Lamm border but Pagel is the right call to email.  All of them are listed somewhere here on the website.

/agree

Waivers for overweight cars are given as long as you have a plan. SUVs tend to have a high center of gravity and like to roll over at race speeds, which I think is the bigger concern for something like a mercury mountaineer. We've had Ford Explorers and a Dodge Durango out here so a Mountaineer should be doable.

As others have said, make sure this is what you really want to do because it isn't "cheap" to build a race car. Make sure your team is on board and go for it. I am not one to talk someone out of a bad decision.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

As someone who raced an Explorer in a Lemons Race, you need to do this. It's stupid and fantastic!

Had a blow out too, guess what didn't happen? It didn't flip because Lemons drivers are mildly more competent than the kind of people that somehow managed to flip an explorer.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

Lemons drivers are mildly more competent than the kind of people that somehow managed to flip an explorer.

You mean us city yuppies??

88 Festiva  -  Damn Tree!!!
"We Are Not Really From Iran" Festiva  -  Motor and Trans to be anounced

Huh?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport