Topic: Pontiac Sunfire Race Car

Has anyone ever used the GM j-body type cars in the Lemons racing series. Just wanted to see if anyone ran into some of the issues i have been dealing with.

Re: Pontiac Sunfire Race Car

Here are some pictures of the project can some people with build experience chime in about the  roll cage and give me some input on whether or not they see issues. Thanks
https://s1152.photobucket.com/user/YankyReb77/story

3 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-02-07 01:00 PM)

Yes there have been some J-bodies in Lemons. Hopefully one of the teams can give you a hand. What problems were you having?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Just ensuring that i have the roll cage properly installed to pass tech. I was having issues with the wiring until i got smart and pulled everything and started from scratch. i also installed a 3100 V-6 engine to give a bit more torque out of the corners. also was wondering what they may have done to suspension to firm it up short of replacing all the struts and shock assemblies.

YankyReb77 wrote:

Just ensuring that i have the roll cage properly installed to pass tech....

The rules are fairly self explanatory, but even with that said there are times where you have a situation you run into that can complicate things.  You can post photos and ask here to get some basic guidance to get you in the correct direction, and you should do this first. After that emailing Pagel is where you would go next.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

I did send the pictures to Pagel and he was very helpful But i have never went through a tech inspection the more seasoned racers that have may be able to see something that i haven't. When the cage was installed i had the rules and the how not fail tech and did everything that i could to follow the letter of rules and guidance. Again maybe i am overly nervous but i would like tech inspection to not be a race killer before we even get out on the track. My thought was the more people that had experience could give some guidance on what they have had issues with so perhaps we wouldn't be in a bind when we got to the track.

7 (edited by OnkelUdo 2020-02-07 06:24 PM)

YankyReb77 wrote:

I did send the pictures to Pagel and he was very helpful But i have never went through a tech inspection the more seasoned racers that have may be able to see something that i haven't. When the cage was installed i had the rules and the how not fail tech and did everything that i could to follow the letter of rules and guidance. Again maybe i am overly nervous but i would like tech inspection to not be a race killer before we even get out on the track. My thought was the more people that had experience could give some guidance on what they have had issues with so perhaps we wouldn't be in a bind when we got to the track.

Car itself is unimportant (with excetions..J-body is not one of them) for passing tech.  Where are you?  Could we send a seasonned Lemons idiot...er, team captain your way to help (drink your beer)?  Seriously, we are everywhere and the few of us still on the forums have been here since Hector was a pup...if there is a long-time, helpful team in your area, we likely know them.

Our team is located in Houma La. southwest of new orleans. I have plenty of beer if anyone is near and could take some time to come look over the car. We are trying to make the Cant Git Bayou race in march.

9 (edited by mthew_m 2020-02-12 10:21 AM)

Didn't Anton (X-args) used to run a J-body?  Albeit, the older, squarer one, and a wagon, but it's GM, they can't be that different, right? 

Glad to see another 3100 car - hopefully we can race against y'all at some point (older A-body Buick Century w/ aforementioned 3100 and strong, durable, efficient, smart-shifting 4L60E).

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"It's got a van motor, a 220 cubic inch plant, it's got van tires, van suspension, van shocks. It's a model with the catalytic converters ripped out so
     it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it a racecar or what?" - Blues Brothers, Probably

mthew_m wrote:

Didn't Anton (X-args) used to run a J-body?  Albeit, the older, squarer one, and a wagon, but it's GM, they can't be that different, right? 

Glad to see another 3100 car - hopefully we can race against y'all at some point (older A-body Buick Century w/ aforementioned 3100 and strong, durable, efficient, smart-shifting 4L60E).

Yes, Anton has run 2 J-bodies in Lemons, the wagon that flipped at Sears Point in 09 or so and the Cavalier with the Cimarron kit that is now in Montana I believe..  The OP should look him up, has more insight into the J-body than any person alive (should have).  His forum name is X-args.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

I thought Anton raced three of them? Two wagons and a coupe?

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Maverick74 wrote:

I thought Anton raced three of them? Two wagons and a coupe?

Correct - two '87 wagons and an '89 Z24 convertible that was rebadged into a Cimarron. They can be top 10 cars with a little work.

2x Volvo PV544 (RIP '63) B20 power!
2007/2012/2013 Driver's Championship (what was I thinking!?) 142 races and counting.
2/25/24