Topic: Practice / shake down

My rookie team is going to CMP for the Lemons block party in September. Is there any practice time on Friday? Also how do you suggest we get the vehicle, unregistered, out and about in order to practice, shake down here in Raleigh?

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Re: Practice / shake down

There is normally practice on Friday at CMP. You'll need to sign up for that through the track itself.

Taking the unregistered car out onto the road is a risk. Your best bet is to trailer it WAY out into the country if you want to drive it around. Alternatively if you know someone that can get you into a local track such as orange county speedway you may be able to put some miles on it.

I test mine at a local high performance driving event (HPDE). If there are any tracks near you, usually there are a couple of companies that will do that. It is always fun running your Lemons cars with Porsche’s, BMWs, and super are. You could also try autocross, but that is a relatively short run.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

An alternative is to go to an industrial park.  I have a few in my area that are quite dead on a Sunday or a holiday. They're usually out by themselves away from homes, etc.  There's even a couple of "dead" housing developments near by that never were built on. The streets are there but no homes.