Topic: 2020

What are the odds of Rallys happening this year?

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

Re: 2020

Well, one did, so 100%?

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

squirrel wrote:

What are the odds of Rallys happening this year?

I think any event with large gatherings of people will be iffy until May when the weather warms up. I've never done the LeMon's rally but that may not matter if people are just driving around. The issue is if the government starts putting people/states on lock down. NYC is close to a "shelter in home order", 

California has been locked down and it wouldn't surprise me if N.Y followed them. A NY lock down would drastically affect our ability to race because we can't finish the car for April.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I don't see any value in speculating since even once the various measures in place are lifted, we don't know how long it will take people to recover. For now, everything is as scheduled, but if anything changes, we'll give as much notice as we can. I will tell you that rallies are much easier to reschedule than races, so if we can't hold one (or more than one), it very likely can be moved to new dates.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Rallies are easy to reschedule, Time off to attend the rally, less so.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

I'm signed up for Stockton to Stockton. It's an excuse to drive on nice roads with other fools, what more do you need?

Well a Universal or at least high bandwidth Anti-Viral for one, short of that a vaccine?

Guildenstern wrote:

Well a Universal or at least high bandwidth Anti-Viral for one, short of that a vaccine?

If wishes were horses we'd be knee-deep in shit.

Oh wait, we are.

Yeah.

AND we don't even have a damn horse!

10 (edited by tomicdesu 2020-08-04 11:04 AM)

Umm... erm... it's awful quiet in here.

What's the situation? Do we have sufficient perps? Are the logistics on the ground in the places we're likely gonna end up conducive to getting our rally shit on? Or should we pack in for 2020.

Looks like things are still working, a bit differently, but still working.

Since I got the WEDGE, I guess I need to plan on the Rt 66 run again.

squirrel wrote:

Looks like things are still working, a bit differently, but still working.

Since I got the WEDGE, I guess I need to plan on the Rt 66 run again.

You don’t seem like a TR7 kinda guy. What other wedge is there?

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

this is one of a kind...home built by a GM employee in the late 70s on a 63 LeMans chassis, with a Buick aluminum V8 between the seats.

currently on stands with the transaxle out, awaiting gaskets for the TempesTorque transmission. They're hard to find...one year only.

http://selectric.org/77wedge/jacks.jpg

Speaking as the owner of a KV, that Wedge is one fine looking automobile.

https://live.staticflickr.com/6030/5981253185_c16f8722c8_z.jpg

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Look like the same design school!

That would be the "I have an old metal brake in my garage" school of design?

Guildenstern wrote:

That would be the "I have an old metal brake in my garage" school of design?

In the case of KV (later KVS) the company consisted of one director and three employees in a small shop in the town of Chassieu, just outside of Lyon. They were indeed equipped with very little beyond a brake, yet managed to construct a few hundred of these cars over the span of several years, right down to making their own engines and attaching their own distinctive tread to tire carcasses they purchased from Michelin.

Mine, however, is now equpped with Cushman scooter tires. There just aren't that many DOT options these days in 4.00 x 8.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Fall Fail-age Rallyists:  Any thoughts about what to do with Vermont?  I'm coming from NJ, which currently doesn't meet VT's standards for free travel without quarantine.  In order to stay in overnight lodging, I need to sign a statement that I've self-quarantined for two weeks at home (which I can't realistically do) or am committing to staying in that lodging for a 2-week quarantine, which I'm definitely not gonna do. 

I'm not seeing an elegant way around this. 

I suppose since we'll be staying there one night, I can sign that I'll be quarantined during my stay, but just leave the next day.

I read that VT website, and associated documents.

Then I wrote a long, detailed, supporting post. Then I recognized it was really, really long.

But suffice it to say, I think you're good to go, as long as you don't show any of the listed symptoms, and you haven't come into contact with a "confirmed" case of COVID-19 before you go, and only check in & check out at the hotel as the expected contact with other persons "in" VT.

And that you wear a mask.

If you want the long version, send me a pm.

It revolves around 'definitions', and, clear enough for the  'least sophisticated consumer'.

I'd be more worried that your Rally still doesn't have a starting point.

sleeping in the car is allowed, perhaps? My initial plan for the 66 rally was the bread truck...so I'd have a bed, small kitchen, bath, etc. But the engine was fighting me (two flat cams), so I gave up on it.

I have slept in rally cars at rest areas a few times, for a few hours.

22 (edited by black_flamingo 2020-09-28 06:09 PM)

Re: Fall failiage & VT -- if you're not "certifiable" to stay in VT there are a fair number of other jurisdictions near Bennington. Williamstown/Pittstown/N. Adams MA or Hoosick Falls/Troy NY.  Hoosick doesn't have a motel as far as I know so that may be a non-starter.  Speaking as someone who lives around the parts mentioned above, Williamstown is closest and it's perfectly fine.

If Williamstown try Coyote Flaco for dinner.  If Bennington, you want Man of Kent which is an English style pub.