1 (edited by King 1 2020-03-10 12:14 PM)

Topic: Ranger Build Thread

Our team has recently acquired a 1991 Ford Ranger to be turned into a race car!
Thank god it's a Ford Ranger too, because the judges would never believe the seller was real.  This guy had every indication of being a car flipper.  The title was in the previous previous owner's name, filled out with a sale date of 2/__/2020, there was a handwritten bill of sale, also from the past owner, with blanks where the buyers name should be, and more blanks in the date.  So the guy I bought it from seemed to have only owned it about a month.
Then he showed me receipts, and this is where it becomes unbelievable.  This guy spent over $3000 having the head gasket, water pump, radiator, timing belt, plugs, wires, complete rear brake rebuild, hoses, etc done, less than a month ago.  When I was cleaning it yesterday, I found the receipt for the tires too.  Another $675 on BFGoodrich Radial T/As less than a month ago.  These receipts have the name of the guy I bought it from so I know he paid for this himself.  Then he sold it to me for $1000.
The only thing I can figure is that the bent front bumper and left fender must have been his doing.  So he blew all this money on a mechanic bill, then crashed into something and didnt want to drive it anymore.  Either that or this is the world's absolute worst car flipper of all time.
We're clearly way over budget at $1000.  It included a canopy to sell, but even if we sell everything possible I can't see getting this down to $500, which is why I'm glad we've chosen a Ford Ranger.  Hopefully no one cares if our budget comes out around $800.  But on the other hand, I won't need to spend any gray money on freshen-up parts because it's all been done already!

Re: Ranger Build Thread

Nobody cares about how many hundreds you spent on a Ranger. An M3, OTOH...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

3 (edited by Fishah 2020-03-09 12:43 PM)

Yea, what Rob said. Nobody cares what that guy, or you spent on a Ranger. Just send it and have fun!

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

4 (edited by King 1 2020-03-10 01:32 PM)

I think I'll just turn this into a build thread, since I already started it talking about our new rig.
I hope at least one person will find it informative and/or amusing.  Really I just want to document the process somewhere and this seems like a good place.

We haven't done much to it yet.  Emptied out all the junk the previous owner left in the cab.  Found $2.75 in loose change so far, but we haven't pulled up the carpet or removed seats or anything yet.
An inventory of other junk we found:
Bottle of brake fluid
Bottle of Wash&Wax
Stanley box cutter
*4* usb cords of various sizes and types
Master Lock steering wheel lock (like The Club)
    this didn't come with keys, but we found a sticker in the glove box from this saying how to get new ones. 
bottle jack
bumper jack
cigarette lighter
3 extra-large zip ties
fake wood grain steering wheel cover
several feet of ~1/4" vinyl tubing
mostly unused bag of cheap microfiber shop towels
2 extra "Ranger XLT" fender badges (the exterior is only missing one)
fancy vaping device
   a teammate tells me this is an $80 unit when new, so maybe I can get $10-20 for it, assuming someone would pay money for a used vape.  ew.
In addition to loose crap in the cab, there is a canopy on the back, with Yakima rack bolted to it, also with no keys (I'm not sure what the keys do anyway... lock the rack onto the roof?)
the bed was empty except for the spare, which includes a fancy chrome trim ring!
there's also a pair of small banged up box speakers poorly wired into the cab, looking like they came from a home "shelf" stereo.
I already sold 2 of the usb cords that were usb-c for a dollar each.  This puts our official spend currently at $995.25

https://i.imgur.com/agxSYcx.jpg

Yesterday we pulled out the front bumper so it wouldn't rub on the tire.  We used a come-along and hooked it in the holes behind the mismatched trim rubber, with the other end on another vehicle.
When that was done, the fender was still kinda folded outward so we pushed on it with the other vehicle.  We started with hammer and 2x4 but that wasn't getting the job done and the other vehicle's bumper was just the right height so we figured what the hell.

https://i.imgur.com/glWF2L0.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/jKhUCiK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/3utH83i.jpg

I love build threads, Rangers are cool, I'm tuned in to see what you guys come up with.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

7 (edited by wilmon 2020-05-06 06:59 PM)

Looks like a nice project! Keep us posted. I had a '92 Ranger and it was a fun truck. It was not a race car but a weekend off-road machine. I remember I bought a lift kit, new shocks, winch and other parts from 4wheelonline to make it more off-road capable.

You are going to put a V10 in it right?  That would be ok.

I guess I better update this thread, since we bought another vehicle!

The green ranger above has been relegated to "backup" race car because it's too nice to do all the modifications I want to do, and I've started daily driving it to work.  I'm still going to gut and cage it (it's not THAT nice) and add all the required safety equipment, but it might not ever spend any time on a track.

Our latest acquisition is much more in the spirit of Lemons.  It's a 1988 Ranger and it was legitimately $500.  Subtract the whopping $4.04 in loose change we've found and we're at $495.96.

The plan is to find a late 90's Explorer and take its rear axle and suspension and everything else attached to the axle.  This swap gives us our choice of gearing (3.73 or 4.11 -- there's other choices too but one of these is what we're going for), disc brake upgrade, limited slip differential, 3 inches width increase, and 4-5 inches rear lowering because the explorer is spring-under-axle but otherwise is a bolt-on replacement.  There's some trickery involving a shock mount in this swap but it can be accomplished with factory parts and no welding.
Then we put some cut springs in the front to level out the vehicle and we're ready to dominate!

https://i.imgur.com/8U5ZYlE.jpg

<<buys truck #1>>

<<hammers on truck #1>>

"Truck #1 is too nice for Lemons"

<<acquires truck #2>>

have you considered a 2-truck team? economies of scale, and whatnot....

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?