Topic: Anti-sub belt - Need to cut seat base

Hi,

In order to comply with the anti-sub rule, I need to cut a hole in seat.

Any issues with doing this to pass tech?

Re: Anti-sub belt - Need to cut seat base

What seat are you using?  Most race seats already have a hole for the anti-sub belt.

I had to do that to an old Momo FIA seat.  The had an area in the frame where you could see where the belts should go.  I have used that seat for many races.  If a newer seat does not have a hole, you might want to post a picture here or check with Lemons tech to make sure they won't fail the seat.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

https://app.box.com/s/5olbvtrrk62txd52b5503ni4zio5oksy

https://app.box.com/s/67vmn30j5tschh4hnk1q669qs3emv890

6 (edited by jpz3 2020-03-24 12:02 PM)

Sparco Fighter

Before you cut it I would call Sparco USA support. They have a phone number under "contact" on their website. A seat that is made to be cut for a sub belt is usually sold with a sub belt option. They might sell the same shell with a sub belt under a different name. Give them a call. Maybe you can find out where to cut it so it maintains structural integrity. Made for a small driver so reselling it and buying another seat might be tough.

Thank you!

Yes to clarify, I only cut a hole in fabric, not a hard material like fiberglass, metal or plastic.  I would check with Sparco.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Turns out the seat we purchased is not FIA certified.
It is a street model from sparco - fighter.

We are purchasing a new seat - thanks again!

I don't see any requirement for the _seat_ to be FIA certified. One piece, and other requirements, yes.

Harness, yes.

Did I miss something?

Sparco said they could not guarantee the integrity of the seat if we drilled a hole to accommodate the anti-sub belt.

All sparco seats with the anti-sub belt hole are FIA certified per Sparco tech support.
        Sparco does not illustrated the hole for the anit-sub belt hole in any of their docs.

The seat on the Lemons store is FIA certified - e.g Pyrotect Sport Lemons-Legal FIA-Rated Racing Seat

What I have found is that competition seats with a sub belt hole are FIA Certified.

I assume there are seats out there with a anti-sub belt hole, and not FIA certified.

I'm playing it safe to get a new seat and sell the street model I have on craigslist.

jpz3: Thanks. The integrity of the seat is the main thing for me; I wouldn't necessarily care about the certification if the seat did its job. Harness, though, definitely.

Let me specifically mention a thank you for the additional detailed information in your last post.

It answered a few questions I didn't even get to yet, it is information dense, and the structure is direct and concise.

It makes this thread a great resource.