Topic: Disable steering wheel lock?

Do I need to disable the steering wheel lock to race in the 24 Hours of Lemons?

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

2 (edited by gus 2020-03-12 12:48 PM)

Re: Disable steering wheel lock?

I'm sure there used to be a rule about disabling the steering lock a few years back, but it's since disappeared if it did ever exist.

There's nothing in the current rules about disabling a steering lock.

Yes. I don't think it is on the tech sheet but for your safety and the safety of the other cars on the track disable it. You can typically find instructions  online for your specific car. For most it means drilling out a rivet and removing the mechanical internals of the switch mechanism. Don't just try to drill into the lock to destroy the mechanism (or worse hit it with a punch) which typically leaves bits floating around that will eventually jam.

The latest wrapup video illustrates what happens when you try to disable the column lock and do it wrong (hint: you're hella gonna crash). Do it properly.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

Chumpcar (and maybe others?) require the vehicle's steering lock to be removed, but Lemons does not. As we all saw from the Barber wrap up video, the cure can sometimes be worse than the disease.

The Pentastar whisperer

When you turn the car ignition key to the on position, isn't the steering wheel lock disabled?  Have you ever heard of that failing?

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

When you turn the car ignition key to the on position, isn't the steering wheel lock disabled?  Have you ever heard of that failing?

That's what I've done.

Here's what Pagel said in 2017. As far as I know, this is still HQ's position on the subject:

Evil Genius wrote:

Here's our take on steering locks: We don't require that they get removed. Indeed, there are very few instances of stock steering wheel locks locking up in Billions of miles of street driving, they are very fool-proof.    We don't want LeMons-grade mechanics screwing with it in a half assed manner.  Either disassemble your steering column correctly and remove ALL PARTS of the lock mechanism or leave it the hell alone.     This includes the strong-arm-break-the-lock method. Who knows how much shrapnel is floating around in your steering column after that kind of treatment.

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … 71#p309471

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

The problem isn't the failure of the stock steering wheel lock. The problems happen when the driver uses the stock ignition switch while on the track, intentionally or unintentionally. Car stalls so the driver attempts to restart while racing by turning the key off and back on not realizing there will be a momentary wheel lock.

The other thing I have seen happen is the driver bump the key with a knee cutting the car off and locking the wheel without realizing what has happened. Car left the track at speed with a locked steering wheel.

Agree that if you are going to disable it you need to take the time to do it right and remove all the mechanical internal parts of the steering lock.

Its not REQUIRED in Lemons.  But its a good idea to disable it.

1.  If you want to play/test in other places a lot of those series/clubs require you to remove it.

2.  We have seen them jam AFTER an impact in our stock car racing.

As many others have said, do it right.   Don't just break it, or hammer it into the column.  You don't want shrapnel or loose parts falling into the bowels of the column and jamming it up.

I'm not sure what car you guys have, but its normally not that big of a deal to disable it.  We race GM junk, and pulling out the lock ring will do the trick in most cars if you don't want to mess with the pin.  Our Corvette had a (busted) telescoping column so I gutted the whole thing to remove potential points of failure.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

The important thing to remember is, nobody wants to steal your crappy race car. Get rid of the whole ignition tumbler and go to panel switches.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

The important thing to remember is, nobody wants to steal your crappy race car. Get rid of the whole ignition tumbler and go to panel switches.

Agreed. 

Make it easier for them to steal the trailer you store the car on, chances are they will leave the car if they can just get in and drive it off the trailer.

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Guildenstern wrote:

We just take the (removeable) steering wheel out of the car. If someone figures out the kill switches (we have two), the master power, and the starter, I suppose they could drive it with vice grips if they're determined (and psycho).

The car got stolen! YEA, time for a new car!!!

14 (edited by Limonaid 2020-03-14 10:02 PM)

rb92673 wrote:

Yes. Many times. Late C5 Corvettes have serious problems with the column locks, including locking while driving.  They went through three versions of the recall and never really got it right. As me how I know.

Bayley wrote:

Chumpcar (and maybe others?) require the vehicle's steering lock to be removed, but Lemons does not. As we all saw from the Barber wrap up video, the cure can sometimes be worse than the disease.

Yes, that video is what prompted my question.

Thanks to everyone for the good discussion here. I'll look into disabling it on my car.

Limonaid wrote:

yes

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Limonaid wrote:

yes

I think you misspelled "No".

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Fishah wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
Limonaid wrote:

yes

why wouldn't you? If you want to race in another league or even do practice at some tracks it has to be disabled? It isn't hard.

Mr.Yuck wrote:
Fishah wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

yes

why wouldn't you? If you want to race in another league or even do practice at some tracks it has to be disabled? It isn't hard.

Umm, it's explained above in great detail why you might choose not too.

Also, the OP asked if it was required in Lemons. The answer is not Yes. The answer is No.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Fishah wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
Fishah wrote:

Umm, it's explained above in great detail why you might choose not too.

Also, the OP asked if it was required in Lemons. The answer is not Yes. The answer is No.

Ok try and run at another event.

https://youtu.be/ohDB5gbtaEQ

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

That wasn't funny at all.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Yes it was...….

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

24 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-03-26 08:58 AM)

-SDR- wrote:
Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Yes it was...….

No it wasn't....

[h/t > cheseroo]