Topic: COVID-19 UPDATES THREAD

Hey all, I figured one thread here from HQ covers what needs covering. Here's the email you should all have just gotten from Jay. I'll add more info as we get it. If you have any questions or anything, feel free to shoot me an email (eric@24hoursoflemons.com)

Hi Again, Lemons Racers:

Just like you, we've watched COVID-19 hit American cities and med centers all week. So while we still think outdoor car racing is probably not a big vector, that's really no longer the point.

We want to be racing. But we also need to accept our responsibility, and right now it appears that means keeping people distanced so that med workers, first responders, test kits, and other resources have a chance to keep up the crisis. I don't wanna get sick, and you don't wanna get sick, but what we really don't want is everyone else getting sick and then not having the resources they need to get better.

Starting today, Lemons will stop racing for a month--ie Willow Springs, NOLA, and Autobahn are affected. We're talking to tracks as I write this in hopes we can get quickly rescheduled.

In the meantime, teams in Willow, NOLA, and Autobahn can do three things:

1) Move the entries to a future race right away.
2) Wait a few days until any rescheduling gets resolved (that way, if the revised date works for your team, you won't have to do anything else).
3) Give up and get a fee refund.

Team captains in the three affected races will get an email shortly with detailed instructions and links. Only team captains can indicate their team's choice, so please work together (even if that's the only time you work together) before deciding.

Thanks for being part of all this. It sucks, but at least we've got friends.

Best regards,

Jay Lamm
Chief Perp, 24 Hours of Lemons

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Re: COVID-19 UPDATES THREAD

Eric, can we now assume there won't be an easy reschedule for these races (Option 2 in the above email)?

The email I got about 45 minutes after this one (which I presume is the previously-mentioned "Team Captain" email for NOLA) has RACE CANCELED in the subject line and only mentions the options of getting a refund or signing up for another race.

The 5% refund fee, really dug the knife just a bit deeper.

I can't see letting the credit card company make 5% since we will race when events are again available. Just don't go bankrupt on us! We have signed up for the other races in California & filled out the Race fee transfer application. We left the Race application destination unknown since we are not sure if Thunderhill will be happening but we are hopeful for ButtonTerrible & ArseFreeze.

Tired Iron Racing, Class A Winner of 2023 Days of Thunder & the Hooptie-Con Engine heat Cooking Competition, otherwise just a 50x loser, which is somehow able to finish in the top ten, if we don't step on our own dicks.

SpaceFrank wrote:

Eric, can we now assume there won't be an easy reschedule for these races (Option 2 in the above email)?

Long story short, no. The tracks have varied greatly in their ability to respond to any incoming request so there's been some real delay in getting rescheduling possibilities. We've got another angle to work with the track staff, hopefully will have an update in the next couple days.

Thanks for being patient; we're trying to get the plan assembled before we make announcements so we don't have to keep making 800 announcements that will get lost in your Inbox because every company in the world has sent you 2-9 emails about how they're monitoring the COVID-19 situation.

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

6 (edited by Spank 2020-03-18 10:10 PM)

therood wrote:

We've got another angle to work with the track staff, hopefully will have an update in the next couple days.

[sniff sniff] I smell mid-week races as a proposed alternative...

(pure speculation on my part with a hint of trying to be funny---- not trying to start another panic buy on toilet paper or guns or anything)

Spank wrote:

[sniff sniff] I smell mid-week races as a proposed alternative...

That'll make it difficult for parents with school-age children

Not in the summer.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

9 (edited by fleming95 2020-03-18 06:48 PM)

And for some of us in Washington, it _is_ the summer - school's out, and there's no distance learning curriculum to replace it.

Time to lock 'em in the garage and teach 'em to turn wrenches -

My attempt at humor was clearly unsuccessful - I apologize.

One of the great things about Lemons is that it can find humor is so many places...
And of course, none of it is meant to offend anyone...
But sometimes any humor might be offensive to someone...and that is the risk you take (I've gotten in trouble at work....I should know...)
Sometimes your humor might be an IOE level, sometimes it is more like the IGS (I Got Screwed) level....
Buy hey, you could always apologize...

So, chill out, and listen to some music....(m-m-m-m-my Corona!).... The Knack....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uo7HB-slsm4

(THEME!!!)

or if you like country music----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDFkQ8FTTgw

there must be more good stuff out there

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

There _will_ be themes coming out of this, no doubt, thanks to the collective idiocy of this hive's minds.

Best I can do is something like an Oprah-style 'you got screwed - and you got screwed - you all got screwed!' now that we've dropped three races -

Or something involving pangolins and bat soup.

MORE UPDATES HERE. You should be getting an email if you're registered for any of the affected races. Sorry everyone, just keep helping out in what ways you can.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/blog/covid- … e-changes/

Eric Rood
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

14 (edited by chaase 2020-03-27 12:50 PM)

therood wrote:

MORE UPDATES HERE. You should be getting an email if you're registered for any of the affected races. Sorry everyone, just keep helping out in what ways you can.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/blog/covid- … e-changes/

We appreciate the update. We were still working as best we could on getting ready for Pittsburgh but being located in NY, the lock downs were making it harder on us to get needed parts and install them. I am just sad that the race was completely cancelled. We were really looking forward to it. We look forward to seeing everyone at NJMP though.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Any possibility of sending that email again to Unit32? I want to apply our autobahn fees towards june Gingerman.

Any idea on Cmp. Trying to plan our stuff. Also working with a few new teams who might need to make a deadline.

How about Thunderhill? I've read that California intends to leave bans against large gatherings in place through summer.

#323 Sawzda

While we are at it, do you know what the winning numbers for the power ball are going to be?

It Ain't My Fault

Just 5.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

So I just noticed that the Lemons web site posted some racing Covid track rules:

Face covers required
Social distancing aggressively enforced
Symptomatic and/or high-risk entrants must stay home
Streamlined gate, tech, and check-in processes
No HQ desk–all functions move to front gate or tech area
Transponders distributed and re-collected at tech
Come to Gear Tech fully suited–your gear gets checked while you’re in it
Timed stop-and-go penalties only
No hot pit fueling
Drivers meetings and awards ceremony held online
Socialize within your team only; no inter-team meals or parties
Paddock spaces to be separated as directed onsite

Seems reasonable, but
"No hot pit fueling"?
Seems to me that hot pit fueling is going to be safer than a bunch of idiots on the lawn, under a tent, or in front of their garage, where they know no one is looking and will fuel "as is" with their buddies, spilling fuel, rushing, etc.
And certainly the tracks will not have enough fuel for everyone at the pump
And in the hot pit, your face is in a helmet!  So much better protection from Covid than a dirty rag on your face, probably already saturated with Covid viruses held on to your face with an bungee cord...?  How much more protection do you need than a full body fire suit?

Maybe I'm missing something...

Sonoma and Buttonwillow always have pit space fueling. Gingerman, too. it's not the free for all you describe. We sort of patrol one another and HQ sends around people to police as well.

MZAVARIN wrote:

Seems reasonable, but
"No hot pit fueling"?
Seems to me that hot pit fueling is going to be safer than a bunch of idiots on the lawn, under a tent, or in front of their garage, where they know no one is looking and will fuel "as is" with their buddies, spilling fuel, rushing, etc.
And certainly the tracks will not have enough fuel for everyone at the pump
And in the hot pit, your face is in a helmet!  So much better protection from Covid than a dirty rag on your face, probably already saturated with Covid viruses held on to your face with an bungee cord...?  How much more protection do you need than a full body fire suit?

Maybe I'm missing something...

None of the California races have a hot pit and I have not see anything that you describe. Fueling is done exactly the same was as the hot pits.  Full gear and fire extinguisher.  I have spilt just as much fuel in the hot pits as I have in my paddock space, plus you don't have to lug fuel around the paddock.

Well maybe for the bunch of idiots, but I see those at both types of races and when I look in the mirror.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

No concerns with paddock fueling here. If it can work at Sonoma, and it does, it can fly anywhere. I dislike rolling all those jugs around.

The other stuff is fully understandable, but takes away enough of the fun of the weekend that I think I'll be sinking the cost of entry fees into the cheaty repower of the Benz and maybe some actual suspension for the Passat instead of entering a second race this year. Spend the rest of 2020 in the bat cave building cheatonium in hopes of a less fearful future...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

24 (edited by MZAVARIN 2020-05-15 05:25 PM)

ok, sorry, my incorrect assumption, I just don't know any better, I've only attended the North East tracks and they all require fueling only in the hot pit....which has its pluses and minuses...but certainly quicker than fueling in the paddock so more track time...
In any case, all I was thinking was that hot pit fueling would not contribute to the spread of the COVID virus and increase the risk of getting infected relative to fueling in the paddock....
Although now that I think about it, maybe the process of getting to the hot pit, which people do without their full gear and helmet on, would make it difficult to stay 6 feet apart...?  Although people don't tend to mingle, since its so damn hot in the fire suits...
I dunno....not that big of a difference...no big deal...Not my circus....

(and I hear ya...I feeling pain of the "new re-build" on the Prelude...and I could use the time (and money) right now....)
But dang, the racing itch is itchy....

Type44 wrote:

No concerns with paddock fueling here. If it can work at Sonoma, and it does, it can fly anywhere. I dislike rolling all those jugs around.

Has been the norm at both our home tracks in the Midwest...we find hot pit fueling odd and inconvenient when we do our destination races.