Topic: Need harnesses that don't suck ass?

Has it really been 5 years? Our Schroth Profi II has timed out and it's time to get a new one. We bought the expensive Profi II because it was "the best" but our experience was different, it took tons of manhandling to get the lap belt tight. Loosening was fine, and tightening the shoulder straps was fine obviously. Adjusting and tightening the lap belts cost us minutes per race, if we could fix only the lap belt tightening that we would be happy!

Now, we might could be too picky, we've won 2 races, lost 1 by a lap and lost another by a can't-counter-steer rental driver crashing our dreams. So we're more sensitive to wasted time than a lot of folks. I want a harness that's like a diode, you pull the tightener at any weird ass angle with a few pounds of force and it cuts off your circulation. Our old Profi II we had to wrangle at a +/- 5* angle or it wouldn't cinch up.

In a perfect world, since we race Gingerman and Autobahn a lot, the driver could tighten things themselves after they roll out of the paddock. We absolutely can not tighten the Profi II enough ourselves, we need a team of 2 tighteners. We can loosen the heck out of this harness once we've entered the paddock, so no issues there.

MUST BE FIA LABELED, our seat is impossible to take in/out and we ain't doing this shit again for another 5 years.

2 (edited by gus 2020-03-13 05:04 PM)

Re: Need harnesses that don't suck ass?

The general advice around these parts for the gold standard is the Schroth Enduro: https://www.schrothracing.com/products/Enduro
We have this belt and after a few other ones we are pretty happy with how easy it is to loosen and tighten.

The Schroth Enduro is pricey but you can get a bit of a discount by buying it from the UK. For those who are more cost sensitive with their safety gear the other advice is usually to contact Crow Enterprizes who can apparently custom make one like the Schroth for you.
Edit: Looks like Crow lists their Schroth Enduro clone on their website now: https://www.parts123.com/parts123/dynde … uKeY=AAAOG

For many years I used cheap belts and always just suffered through.

We just recently installed the Scroth Euro in our new car, and I can say they really are that good. We haven't even raced with them yet but I'm not sure I could ever go back to anything else.

#33 Ford Festiva - We Are Not Really From Iran (Retired)
#928 Porsche 928 - West German Pushrodders (Retired)
#3 BMW E36 - The Internet says this is correct

Okay new question sorry, is Schroth Enduro really better than Schroth Flexi (new name for Profi)?

I bought a new set of the Crow Enduros (or whatever it is that has the lap belt adjusters at the latch). Totally worth it. Piece of cake to loosen and tighten.

That guy

The new Crows are very nice and similar to the Schroths.  The Crows can be rewebbed and recertified.  All you can do with the Schroths is bin them after 5 years.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Safecraft 5010.  I like them better than the Schroth Enduros, the adjusters are more compact, they can be configured however you like with respect to terminations and number of anti-sub belts, and my last reweb was $75.  My first reweb was free.  I don't know if they still do that or not.

Also known as Safecraft Spec Miata harnesses and available from various sources, but I'd suggest contacting Safecraft directly and having a chat about which features you want.

https://www.safecraftracing.com/

I originally bought the same Schroth set that you are complaining about. Same issue, the lap belts were hard to tighten and you had to pull at a very specific angle. I called Schroth and their customer service was great. He knew exactly what my problem was and had a solution for me. They sent me new Enduro lap belts (just the lap belts) to use with my existing shoulder and sub belt profi set. They matched the FIA only homolugation of my existing profi belts on the Enduro lap belts. That was several years ago and I have been extremely happy with the belts. A driver can easily strap in alone and get shoulder and lap belts really tight.  If I were ordering new belts today I would order a complete Enduro set.

MDG wrote:

Okay new question sorry, is Schroth Enduro really better than Schroth Flexi (new name for Profi)?

I just took delivery of a Schroth enduro and it looks to solve every complaint I've ever had in a set of belts. Shoulders are pull down, and the laps pull out from the CENTER

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

moparfan wrote:

I originally bought the same Schroth set that you are complaining about. Same issue, the lap belts were hard to tighten and you had to pull at a very specific angle. I called Schroth and their customer service was great. He knew exactly what my problem was and had a solution for me. They sent me new Enduro lap belts (just the lap belts) to use with my existing shoulder and sub belt profi set. They matched the FIA only homolugation of my existing profi belts on the Enduro lap belts. That was several years ago and I have been extremely happy with the belts. A driver can easily strap in alone and get shoulder and lap belts really tight.  If I were ordering new belts today I would order a complete Enduro set.

yes. this.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

derekste wrote:
MDG wrote:

I just took delivery of a Schroth enduro and it looks to solve every complaint I've ever had in a set of belts. Shoulders are pull down, and the laps pull out from the CENTER

Woot, mine arrive tomorrow, fingers crossed!

Finally got around to opening the box, the reports are true- the Schroth Enduro is very good. It will tighten up at basically any angle. It will solve the slow belting issue that we've had for 5 years. They're so much better than the slightly less expensive Schroth it's not even funny. Hopefully we never need them.

13 (edited by Troy 2020-04-04 03:44 PM)

A little late to this topic.

RaceQuip and G-Force both make very nice FIA belts similar to Schroth now for $300.

RaceQiup: Black     #855005 
                 Red       #855015

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

I may as well add my two cents;

I ordered a set of Sparco Endurance 6 Point FHR from Demon Tweeks in the UK. $230 shipped, and it took 9 days to receive them. They are also FIA belts like the Enduros, meaning they can't be re-certified. However, they are 1/3 the cost of the Scroths. The adjusters aren't as smooth as the Scroth's buy I'm otherwise very happy wit them .

The Pentastar whisperer