Topic: I Scored a Free Abandoned Car, does that count?

So I managed to acquire an abandoned car that literally did not require an exchange of cash money. As in I got it, it's sitting in my driveway. No dollar bills left my coffee can. I didn't lose any net kind of worth acquiring it. My marriage might be suffering a little but I'm not divorced yet!!! It's a crapped out 56 Bel Air rolling chassis. But the price was right!!!

I've begun building it for 24 hours of Lemons. I've spent 493 dollars on an engine and a trans, a radiator, u-joints, and an alternator. And now it runs!!! But now the question is sticking in my head, "will they call BS and not let me race since I'm quote-unquote over budget for getting it running again?"

2 (edited by chaase 2020-03-16 07:11 AM)

Re: I Scored a Free Abandoned Car, does that count?

The rule is even if money doesn't exchange hands, there is still value to the car. You would use the amount you would've paid for that car in the same shape. I don't know the value of a '56 Bel Air roller but my guess is if its in terrible shape and you don't go nuts with things the judges won't care.

At worst you would get penalty laps, but I doubt you'll even get that because it's a 65 year old car that will likely be slow and handle terribly. I would give it a good theme and not worry about the budget.

EDIT: I just saw the video you posted. The car is terrible and it looks like you put in an ancient straight 6. Don't worry about the budget and have fun.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Your Bel Air is magnificent!

Thanks!!! You can follow the progress on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzPpjWDy7LU

chaase wrote:

I would give it a good theme and not worry about the budget.

No theme necessary, though maybe a faded Rust-eze theme would be appropriate.
https://www.bikeheros.net/ebay/rus.png

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

If you care, send to Judge Phil for a valuation.  I don't think he will care what you spend.  His email is listed under contacts.

My advice is spend money on stuff to keep it running such as cooling, a clean fuel tank, working carb, working electrical, etc.  If you can keep that turning slow laps for an entire race, that is IOE gold.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

DelinquentRacer wrote:
chaase wrote:

My response was before I saw the pictures and the "patina", and then I saw it but yeah, that emblem would be cool on the car.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Make sure the brakes and steering are all good!

In theory, a complete Tri-5 like that is still worth like $2,000. In reality, we are never going to care about that and it's another great opportunity for "$500 KAR MY A55!!!1!!!!!"

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

nimblemotorsports wrote:

Make sure the brakes and steering are all good!

I put on a brand new stock master cylinder, and all new components for the front brakes. That should help the old gal out.

The ball joints are tie rods seem tight enough. That factory manual steering box is so mint its practically a BMW rack and pinion!

therood wrote:

In theory, a complete Tri-5 like that is still worth like $2,000. In reality, we are never going to care about that and it's another great opportunity for "$500 KAR MY A55!!!1!!!!!"

I suppose haha! But I tell no lie the car was free for me. And aside from safety equipment I have only spent 493 dollars and it will now move under its own power.

VinnyMartello wrote:

So I managed to acquire an abandoned car that literally did not require an exchange of cash money. As in I got it, it's sitting in my driveway. No dollar bills left my coffee can. I didn't lose any net kind of worth acquiring it. My marriage might be suffering a little but I'm not divorced yet!!! It's a crapped out 56 Bel Air rolling chassis. But the price was right!!!

I've begun building it for 24 hours of Lemons. I've spent 493 dollars on an engine and a trans, a radiator, u-joints, and an alternator. And now it runs!!! But now the question is sticking in my head, "will they call BS and not let me race since I'm quote-unquote over budget for getting it running again?"

I cannot imagine getting crap for running a 56 rust bucket 56 Chevy, unless you put some cheaty 350 in it. Just make it safe and put some decent brakes on it.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

^I cannot imagine a 56 Chev being dinged for anything even if it has a blown rat motor in it.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

DelinquentRacer wrote:
chaase wrote:

The RUST-EZE is a great idea I'm doing it.

therood wrote:

and the ever proverbial "Why u RUIN Klassic!?!?"

You must have good neighbors to keep that eye sore parked in the front of your house.
But yeah do what ever you need to get it to the race, you won't have a problem with the judges.

jimbbski wrote:

You must have good neighbors to keep that eye sore parked in the front of your house.
But yeah do what ever you need to get it to the race, you won't have a problem with the judges.

I live in Sumter SC. Down here people LOVE classic cars. My neighborhood isn't full of HOA ass kissing, soybean based t-shirt wearing, Starbucks drinkin', soccer practice takin', manager askin' complainers. My neighbors stop by all the time an ask what I'm building next. I have the coolest neighbors ever.

Emmaculant!

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

V8!

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z

Vinny--

Saw the stock car cage you have.

Hate to be a buzz-kill, but please go look at this:  https://24hoursoflemons.com/wp-content/ … 040419.pdf

That cage you have is going to fail on several counts, lack of a diagonal in the main hoop and lack of continuous bars at the windshield being the first two that I see. It DOES NOT MATTER if it came out of a Hendrick Cup car, if it doesn't follow the Lemons rules, you're gonna be cutting it out and starting over.

This project is AWESOME, but I'd hate for you to be disappointed and show up with a cage that isn't going to pass tech.

Best of luck, stay clear of the virus...

I paid nothing for my car too! It was a come get it before it’s crushed ordeal.  I kept track of gas and tolls to show I do have a legit 96.00 in it.

I can already see the internet meltdown.

This is awesome

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!