Topic: Brakes

A couple more noob questions. We will be driving a 96 Mustang V6, and any advice on after-market brakes would be greatly appreciated. The first question of course is are they necessary? If so, can someone point me in the right direction? Lastly, about how much money should we think about investing in brakes? Respond to this post or email me at anewman0623@gmail.com if you have information, thank you.

2 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-04-23 12:56 AM)

Re: Brakes

If you use the site search function (above, right between 'Rules' and 'Profile'), using the term ST43, most of your questions will be answered in the first one or two posts in the result list.

I'll also suggest this Lemons Newcomers 'Sticky' post:

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … hp?id=7415

We run a 1988 Thunderbird Sport which uses the suspension they then put in the SN-95 Mustangs like you have.
We run an Upgrade to the early 2000's (the origami looking SN-95 mustangs) PBR aluminum 2 pot GT front brakes. Don't recall if the 96 V-6 has rear discs, if not upgrade to those there's only one flavor of rear disk brakes for SN-95 all years.

For pads we use Porterfield R-4E all around, get a couple races per front pad set and three or four on the back. We just use cheap bendix smooth rotors. They only go about one race, but at $25 each, better to wear those than the brake pads.

We use AmsOil Race brake fluid which we flush every race. Never had brake problems, but your front caliper piston dust covers will disintegrate but they do that on the street too. As long as the piston seal is still good no need to worry about em.

And if you do have Drums in the back, don't forget to either change the distribution valve, or replace it with an adjustable like we did.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

There are so many 'Brakes' threads on here.  Basically there seems to be common answers such as ST43 or similar pads, a good brake fluid like Motul 600 or ATE typ200, blank rotors (drilled will crack), and many have ducting to cool their front brakes.

For examples of real race pads, see the https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/ website.  If they don't have a pad listed for your car, they will make it.  They are about $260 for a set of fronts for my Volvo, but they never fade and last a season or two.  I run cheap blank rotors.

If you run a non-race pad, bring a second set and please check them at the end of the first day if they haven't failed already.  Its never fun to get to the end of a straight and find out you are out of pads or your brake fluid boiled.

Front pads are much more important that rears.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

For examples of real race pads, see the https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/ website.  If they don't have a pad listed for your car, they will make it..

Just to add a personal anecdote that I think will be valuable since I just went through ordering with them for the first time.

If you have ANY trouble finding the exact pair of pads for your car... DEFINITELY email or call. Their website is not amazing, but their customer service is. They'll definitely help get you what you need.

aaron.vogel wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

For examples of real race pads, see the https://www.porterfield-brakes.com/ website.  If they don't have a pad listed for your car, they will make it..

Just to add a personal anecdote that I think will be valuable since I just went through ordering with them for the first time.

If you have ANY trouble finding the exact pair of pads for your car... DEFINITELY email or call. Their website is not amazing, but their customer service is. They'll definitely help get you what you need.

Adding to the above. We have used Porterfield brakes since our team formed in 2013.

Agree that their customer service people are top-notch and super helpful.

HOWEVER, we received the wrong pads 2 different times. The pad size was correct, but they didn't have the little springs on the top that help keep the pads in place in the caliper bracket. The first time this happened, we didn't realize it until it was too late to get replacements, so we ended up cutting off springs from an used set and welding them on to the new ones. Now we check as soon as they arrive and I remind them of this when I place the next order.

Also note that even if the pads are listed on their website, they don't keep everything 'in stock'. Much of the oddball stuff (i.e., Lemons cars) don't get fabricated until you place your order, so there can be several weeks delay in getting the parts. Make sure you leave enough time to get them.

We use the R4 or R4-E pads on our FWD, 2300lb (estimate), Audi Coupe GT but we are lucky to get 2 days from these pads. I'm surprised to see others say they get multiple races out of them.

We Audi Be Faster
'85 Audi Coupe G(in &) T(onic)

7 (edited by DelinquentRacer 2020-04-24 01:01 PM)

For your SN95, upgrade to the SN95 Cobra brakes.
They fit and the 13" rotor stops great.
You'll need Cobra calipers and brackets - RockAuto $113 ea.
Rotors - RockAuto $55 ea.
Brake lines - RockAuto $10+ ea.
Better Pads - Your choice

I don't think you can outgrow these brakes on 200 TW tires, and the parts are cheap compared to aftermarket.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

We're heavier than them and still haven't needed to go to cobras. Even got big enough wheels for em. But, just never got any fade and still end up locking up the 200 T.W. tires. With the V-6 they'll be hard pressed to over run the GT brakes.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport