Topic: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

Preparing for your first race can be a bit daunting, but Lemons competitors have built a pretty supportive and broad community capable of helping new teams and captains get to the racetrack and have a good time there. Here's just a really quick way to find some help in your area.

(1) Post here in the Lemons Newcomers section and include your general location in the subject line. Something like "New Team in Seattle Looking for Local Help" should suffice. In the body/text, include the kind of car (or maybe which car you're considering if you're not there) and what kind of help you're looking for (cage builder, preparation advice, or just someone in the area who knows what you're going for and can help with things you haven't even thought of).

(2) Check out the Teams Looking for Drivers section of the forum if you need drivers. People are always looking for cars to drive.

(3) Ideally, ask for help more than like two weeks before the race. Other teams are also thrashing to get their veteran cars to the race, too, and more time will give them some flexibility. Yeah, we know sometimes that's not super easy.

(4) If you're not getting anywhere on the Forum after three or four days, drop me a line (forum mail here or eric@24hoursoflemons.com) and I'll see if a trusted local team can help out. The Forum members are quite good at getting you help, but if you're striking out, I can try a bit of matchmaking.

Cheers!

Eric Rood
Lemons Media Stooge/Cat Herder

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

Hello.  I'm a driver for one of the teams.  I'm staying at the Quality Inn & Suites Millville but won't have a car.  The rest of my team is camping at the track.  Is anyone else is staying at this hotel or nearby with whom I could catch a ride to/from the track?  Thank you.

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

kseo wrote:

Hello.  I'm a driver for one of the teams.  I'm staying at the Quality Inn & Suites Millville but won't have a car.  The rest of my team is camping at the track.  Is anyone else is staying at this hotel or nearby with whom I could catch a ride to/from the track?  Thank you.

There's a thread going for people going to the NJ race....You may want to post up there as well....

https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=36345

I'm sure someone can help you out...

40+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

Thank you.

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

Hi new team in the Fallon NV area looking for cage builders. 

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

New team. In Fallon NV looking for help with roll cage.

7 (edited by edthefanman 2019-01-24 07:16 PM)

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

I have an E38 740il 2000 that I bought with a bad engine a few years ago.  Toying with the idea of getting in on the action in California.  Also taking a welding class to build a cage for another off road truck in Feb - sounds like this might be right up my alley for the late year race.  I'm in Riverside CA (River-tucky!).  This car would fit right in direct from the track.

Anyone interested in helping?  I can get some help for the race (drivers and crew) but thought if someone wants to help and become part of it locally that would be awesome - then also become driver or crew.   (My buddies live all over the place) 

Questions:

1) I noticed the curb weight max was 4200lbs.  This sled weighs around 4288 curb - any problem?  Or can I just add inflatable dolls filled with Helium?  Or cut the roof off and add cage/arm straps?
2) Mandatory engine parts count towards mods?
3) Roughly how many laps per 100 bucks? 

I don't want to kill the plan as I know what this would cost to get back on the road.

Would this car qualify  (assuming it gets a cage etc)

Edit:  Had not thought of a theme yet, but "James Pond" would fit, or something along the "Hugh Hefty-er" perhaps - tons of inflatable hussies either way....

Thanks
Ed

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

I wouldn't sweat much of anything with an E38, you'll be fine.  Document your costs.  You know you can sell non-essential bits like interior to help offset your $500 budget, right?  Do not cut off the roof as that will likely be a tech DQ.  Request a weight waiver from HQ but be aware that other E38's have run without issue.  In general, they like large luxury cars that drove off the depreciation cliff so you'll get a lot of leeway in your repairs.  Dont be surprised if they dont even look at your documentation.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

Thanks!  Now to see if we can get it running! 

I do visit LKQ monthly and they have tons of them, which is handy.  Also have an old Land Rover Discovery which might fit the bill, although thats heavy and slow before we even start adding cage weight.

10 (edited by thecost 2019-01-25 06:49 PM)

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

Newbie in Birmingham, Just heard of this "24 Lemons" thing today!

Looking to get involved.

Fast learner.

If you need help at Barbers,

I'm your man.

Rick C.

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

thecost wrote:

Newbie in Birmingham, Just heard of this "24 Lemons" thing today!

Looking to get involved.

Fast learner.

If you need help at Barbers,

I'm your man.

Rick C.

Post up in the help wanted section.  Lots of teams make Barber a destination race (because it is an awesome track) and are looking for crew, team mom, gopher, etc.  In our case when we did it years ago we paid the entry for the guy, fed and housed him for the weekend.

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

Looking to start a team. Have drivers and mechanics but looking for a car. Now after looking at a bunch of other cars they are all collectively over 500 bucks.  How do the handle this and is it really reliant on bsf?

I’m in North Jersey

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

The suggestion was to _post_ in the Newcomers section. Sometimes responses to others' posts can get buried pretty quickly by aging out. If you post a _new_ topic, it'll get its own attention, and answers should be more directly on point to your question, though thread drift is always possible.


The $500 budget is thoroughly covered in the "Prices and Rules" section of this forum, and numerous threads go into even greater detail. And, it's an entertaining read.


Safety equipment doesn't count toward the $500, and the defined safety equipment is covered in the "Prices and Rules" section. Apparently you can spend an unlimited amount on safety equipment if you wish.
 

Download the "How To Not Fail Lemons Tech Inspection" document. Several threads on cages will refer back to that document - sometimes repeatedly.


There's plenty of support in your area.

Welcome!

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

So I'm posting a reply so I can post a topic. Sheesh, gotta do this a second time. Where's the puke emoji? LOL

15 (edited by benspeeder 2020-03-14 04:39 PM)

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

Maybe this will work, posting again so I can post a topic and get some input.

Thanks

It worked!

16 (edited by chaase 2020-03-14 05:49 PM)

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

HavocNChaos wrote:

Looking to start a team. Have drivers and mechanics but looking for a car. Now after looking at a bunch of other cars they are all collectively over 500 bucks.  How do the handle this and is it really reliant on bsf?

I’m in North Jersey

Lot's of cars available and racers in the NY metro area. The amount that the judges care about the budget is directly proportional to how nice the car is. If the car is completely terrible, they don't care. If it's something like a newer  BMW, you will get a lot of scrutiny. Unless you go hella cheaty, the worst thing they'll do is give you penalty laps but those won't matter because you are not winning your first race anyway.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

Good day! I'm in the process of building my car and getting it ready for Southern Discomfort in September. I'm a newcomer and look forward to any pointers for passing tech and any ideas going forward. I posted in another thread but I scored a free abandoned 56 Bel Air. I look forward to building my team and racing with you all!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzPpjWDy7LU

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

Please, whatever you do, don't paint that magnificent automobile. That exterior needs absolutely nothing beyond a set of numbers and some labels for the kill switch and tow points.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

HavocNChaos wrote:

Looking to start a team. Have drivers and mechanics but looking for a car. Now after looking at a bunch of other cars they are all collectively over 500 bucks.  How do the handle this and is it really reliant on bsf?

I’m in North Jersey

Send me an email.  I'm in SJ but right off the Turnpike.  I also have a car for sale if you are interested.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

New to Lemons and racing! Always thought it was financially impossible, but it just might be with a lemon. I live  Wenatchee, Wa east of the Cascades. It's about 2.5-3 hrs from Seattle and Spokane. I wouldn't say it's remote but everything around it is. Looking to get into my first race as a driver optimally but very willing and happy to be a pit bitch if it gets me a part of the event!
   As they say, if you want something done do it yourself, I am also considering putting together a team and have been looking at some potential Lemons. One that I have my eye on is a 93 Acura integrity (no title but has bill of sale) for $600. Any advice or red flags here?
   If anybody is or knows someone in the area who wants to race, has a team or wants too build one let's talk!

Ryan J

21 (edited by BigBird 2020-04-26 01:09 PM)

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

RyanJ wrote:

New to Lemons and racing! Always thought it was financially impossible, but it just might be with a lemon. I live  Wenatchee, Wa east of the Cascades. It's about 2.5-3 hrs from Seattle and Spokane. I wouldn't say it's remote but everything around it is. Looking to get into my first race as a driver optimally but very willing and happy to be a pit bitch if it gets me a part of the event!
   As they say, if you want something done do it yourself, I am also considering putting together a team and have been looking at some potential Lemons. One that I have my eye on is a 93 Acura integrity (no title but has bill of sale) for $600. Any advice or red flags here?
   If anybody is or knows someone in the area who wants to race, has a team or wants too build one let's talk!

Ryan J

This would fall into the advice category.....The easy button is to buy someones used Lemon...
The initial cost to build a car is waaaaay more than the cost to buy used...Great way to get your feet wet.
Just my 2 cents,YMMV,offer void where prohibited,etc.......

40+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Re: First-Timers Wanting Local Help? Click Here!

BigBird wrote:
RyanJ wrote:

New to Lemons and racing! Always thought it was financially impossible, but it just might be with a lemon. I live  Wenatchee, Wa east of the Cascades. It's about 2.5-3 hrs from Seattle and Spokane. I wouldn't say it's remote but everything around it is. Looking to get into my first race as a driver optimally but very willing and happy to be a pit bitch if it gets me a part of the event!
   As they say, if you want something done do it yourself, I am also considering putting together a team and have been looking at some potential Lemons. One that I have my eye on is a 93 Acura integrity (no title but has bill of sale) for $600. Any advice or red flags here?
   If anybody is or knows someone in the area who wants to race, has a team or wants too build one let's talk!

Ryan J

This would fall into the advice category.....The easy button is to buy someones used Lemon...
The initial cost to build a car is waaaaay more than the cost to buy used...Great way to get your feet wet.
Just my 2 cents,YMMV,offer void where prohibited,etc.......

That would be much more convienent! And probably a very wise way to go. Thanks for your 2 cents!