1 (edited by fleming95 2020-05-08 03:38 PM)

Topic: Returning to racing - is this the year for Laguna Seca?

Hey ya'll -

Just read through Jay's well-considered (he _cares_ about our safety?!?!? smile ) e-mail summarizing how we'd go about figuring out how to return crapcan racing to the meatspace track -

-  and just saw that NASCAR dropped the Sears race next month

- which got me thinking that the same might be true for Laguna Seca, and that Lemons might be able to take a slot with less lead time than some of the other more ...formal... racing organizations that need to draw a crowd

- which means that the track rental may be affordable (although I have even less idea than usual what two days would cost the organizers)

- and with no Pebble Beach we'll need a support event for the Concours d'Lemons. . . .hint, hint .. .

Re: Returning to racing - is this the year for Laguna Seca?

fleming95 wrote:

..we'll need a support event for the Concours d'Lemons...

Nope. Already officially cancelled for California this year. There's still the Lemons Rally, though.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

3 (edited by cheseroo 2020-05-09 04:51 PM)

fleming95 wrote:

Hey ya'll -

- which got me thinking that the same might be true for Laguna Seca, and that Lemons might be able to take a slot with less lead time than some of the other more ...formal... racing organizations that need to draw a crowd

Jay has stated on several occasions that Laguna doesn't really work for him.  You probably would have better luck with Lucky Dog there.  I also recall him saying the Monterey Rally is off since car week got cancelled.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

If he's gonna do it, it's gonna have to be an all Class C (and even D) IOE invitational slugfest.

Borgward
SIMCA
ToyoHog
Humber
Studebaker
That DodgePickup
KCar
Anything from NSF

and so on.

If you're going to defile that place, make it count

...and make it something that can't be washed off.

5 (edited by fleming95 2020-05-10 04:15 PM)

Last weeks IRacing 'event' was a good start in the defilation, if you're into those kinds of things... and a Worst 10 race, including the K, especially if it were on Pebble Beach weekend, would be worth getting out of the house for.

I was thinking more charitably, though, given that Laguna Seca (and Sears moreso, for that matter) are going to have a tough time paying the bills, and a Lemons race _should_ be able to fill either or both of those tracks on relatively short notice -

Laguna Seca limits number of cars to 45.  Maybe a no miata, no bmw race might get the car count to 45.

https://i.imgur.com/3VZl4lw.gif?noredirect/

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Another vote here for a Laguna Seca race.

I would pay a higher entry fee to race there.

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber