Topic: Has anyone rented a Lemon?

I have heard on a couple of youtube recaps, that ocassionally teams bring their old, previous car in addition to their race car.
Either to have a 'spare' car, or rent it out to unfortunate teams .

I know its very rare.

My questions.
1. How much did they charge?
2. If you rented or borrowed a car, what was the agreement like?

(I love this idea, and may want to bring a "spare" car, just in case)

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Re: Has anyone rented a Lemon?

Bumppity bump bump

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Most if not all Forum pages have a 'Search' link at the top near the 'Login' or 'Logout' links, which brings you to a form where you can enter a search term.

I've only been successful with a single word search term, as more than one brings up too many off-topic posts.

I haven't attempted to use logic operators in the field. I think the default logical operator is 'OR'.

Lemon_Newton-Metre wrote:

Most if not all Forum pages have a 'Search' link at the top near the 'Login' or 'Logout' links, which brings you to a form where you can enter a search term.

I've only been successful with a single word search term, as more than one brings up too many off-topic posts.

I haven't attempted to use logic operators in the field. I think the default logical operator is 'OR'.

Google site specific searches yield better results.  Type into Google "site:forums.24hoursoflemons.com" followed by your search words

As to the original poster, the dollar value highly depends on the type of car and the services you are looking for.  It can range from a C class car where you are on your own to an A class car where everything is included, including someone to keep it running all weekend.

I have not seem formal contracts to rent a seat or a car, I think most are handshake deals where if you break something you are typically responsible to replace what you break.

If you are serious about renting a seat or car, I would suggest you post in the Looking for Teams forum for the type of car you are looking for and the specific race you wish to participate in.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

bobnowoc wrote:

(I love this idea, and may want to bring a "spare" car, just in case)

We've brought a spare car before and had to use it.  Don't expect HQ to make it a priority to tech the second car and don't bring it through during the regular tech on Friday.  Basically, your car breaks, you attempt to fix it, you CAN'T not you won't, then you unmothball the second car.

--Rob Leone Schumacher Taxi Service
We won the IOE at Southern Discomfort.
We got screwed at The Real Hoopties of New Jersey  and we took cars down with us.
We got the curse at Capitol Offense but they wouldn't let us destroy the car.

RobL wrote:

We've brought a spare car before and had to use it.

Same here. It's also worth noting that swapping cars mid-race means that you're automatically out of contention for any of the lap-based awards, unless of course for some reason you've already accumulated enough laps to win in your first car before switching to something else right at the very end of the race. Basically the swap is just a way to use the rest of the weekend productively (well, "productively") instead of merely sitting around in the paddock or going home.

You MUST inform the timing and scoring folks that you're doing this before taking the second car on track, as they will not be happy if suddenly surprised when a different car starts registering laps with a transponder that had been on something else. You will, by the way, need to transfer the transponder, as they'll also flag any car that doesn't trip the system when coming through the timing trap. They'll also insist that the replacement car use the same number as the car that it is replacing. Again, this must all be discussed with timing and scoring in advance. It's a good idea to let the judges know, too.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
RobL wrote:

We've brought a spare car before and had to use it.

Same here. It's also worth noting that swapping cars mid-race means that you're automatically out of contention for any of the lap-based awards, unless of course for some reason you've already accumulated enough laps to win in your first car before switching to something else right at the very end of the race. Basically the swap is just a way to use the rest of the weekend productively (well, "productively") instead of merely sitting around in the paddock or going home.

You MUST inform the timing and scoring folks that you're doing this before taking the second car on track, as they will not be happy if suddenly surprised when a different car starts registering laps with a transponder that had been on something else. You will, by the way, need to transfer the transponder, as they'll also flag any car that doesn't trip the system when coming through the timing trap. They'll also insist that the replacement car use the same number as the car that it is replacing. Again, this must all be discussed with timing and scoring in advance. It's a good idea to let the judges know, too.

Just bring two identical cars with the same number.  Swap transponder, you're done.  YMMV.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

I can say they won’t always flag you for not tripping the transponder circuit, at least not if it’s a Super Snipe, and the transponder is securely attached to the light bar which is safely ensconced in your pit space garage,

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

9 (edited by Spank 2020-05-01 10:16 AM)

There's a guy, Gavin, who has brought cars specifically "for rent" to Thunderhill. They are well sorted, well prepped Lemons veteran cars. He offered a pricing structure that varied from "take it as-is, as it came off the track last race including bald tires and all" to "I'll do everything for you including new tires, all refueling pit stops and car maintenance during the event." Fish did/does that with the Model TGT and with his brown Pintos and I've seen him transport those cars all the way to Houston from CA for a team who rented them.

I rented out my Hyundai to a team in Inde who had their car crap out early. I based what I charged them on what it costs to field the car normally, which is about $2500 for the weekend. Minus $1380 entry fee, it runs about $1100 just in what the car actually consumes through an uneventful weekend, no breakages no accidents, and there's still enough tire and brake at the end to run at least another day but that also includes transport to and from the track. That's based on about 4gph on track fuel consumption. For easy math, call that about $85/hr just to break even on the car owner's effort and the car is rented for the entire 13.5 or so hrs. If someone only needs it for a day and the car sits in the paddock for a day not recouping $, figure the single day cost should be $170/hr minimum just to break even, and so on.

Edit: oh, and after being a habitual Late-Tech-er, I found it actually mutually beneficial to run the spare car through tech on Friday during a lull and when they are already set up for tech with people qualified to do the safety inspection sitting around waiting for tech to close. Come Saturday or Sunday, those people aren't always available to inspect a car.  ***Now I'm NOT saying this is the correct or approved way of doing it***, but what I did was have the car safety inspected and signed off and then I HELD ON TO the signed inspection form. If the car were to be put into action, that form AND CAR is then brought to the penalty box with the correct number and transponder already on it to show the judges "THIS CAR is now going into action to replace XYZ. Please inform the tower of the year, make and model (and color change, if necessary)" .Then the already completed form is walked over to HQ and turned in and then I also ask for a new sticker that is then placed on the backup car before it heads out on track. I write very clearly "BackUp Car" on the tech form and make it clear that the original car absolutely will not go back out on track and that the switch is a permanent one for the rest of the weekend, and we forfeit any consideration for any awards or trophies  It feels like the teams who stick with their original bad plan are the ones who should be rewarded for their futility. YMMV

What spank said. And also I've seen Chris Overzet make a deal to let some new people rent on of his old cars before they commit to building their own. He's often selling his one offs after the first race and working on a new concept so his collection needs regular culling. The cages are first rate and he builds for reliability even if its an IOE contenteder or working for judges choice.

#44 VW Jetta "Le Mondrian"
Arsesweat '17 finished 10th in (B), 3 finishes in 7 races
#96 Silver Subaru Legacy Automatic w Orange Top (formerly)

While renting is done occasionally more often than not a team just buys a used Lemons car.  For nearly the same price as renting  (or possibly cheaper) you can buy.  For example, I'm selling a 2000 Firebird for $2000 that is nearly Lemons legal.  Just add a new harness and fire suppression system and you're good to go.

So forget renting and just buy my car.

Team Glue Sticks
00 Firebird, 02 X-Type, 93 NX2000, 00 Mazda 626 (Sold)
2016 NJMP Heroic Fix, 2017 NJMP Near Heroic Fix except we can't drive, 2017 Thompson I Got Screwed, 2019 Pitt Heroic Fix