Topic: Anti-submarine strap mounting

Have a 5-point harness and Kirkey seat with the hole in the seat squab that accommodates anti-submarine belt. Mounted the Kirkey seat on sliders to accommodate 6-8 inch differential in driver heights with an adjustable back brace. I have seen reference to mounting the anti-submarine belt on the car floor with grade 8 bolts and >= 2.5" washers on both sides of floor pan per Lemons rules. However, when sliding the seat back and forth, position of the anti-submarine floor mount position could be either too far forward, or too far back, dependent on seat position selected. Can the anti-submarine belt route through the seat squab hole as intended, but then travel under the seat and be bolted to the front edge of the seat? Doing so would maintain position of the anti-submarine belt at all seat positions. Appreciate any insight folks have on this.

2 (edited by chaase 2020-06-17 11:59 AM)

Re: Anti-submarine strap mounting

Hoffshaw/Hinmann wrote:

Have a 5-point harness and Kirkey seat with the hole in the seat squab that accommodates anti-submarine belt. Mounted the Kirkey seat on sliders to accommodate 6-8 inch differential in driver heights with an adjustable back brace. I have seen reference to mounting the anti-submarine belt on the car floor with grade 8 bolts and >= 2.5" washers on both sides of floor pan per Lemons rules. However, when sliding the seat back and forth, position of the anti-submarine floor mount position could be either too far forward, or too far back, dependent on seat position selected. Can the anti-submarine belt route through the seat squab hole as intended, but then travel under the seat and be bolted to the front edge of the seat? Doing so would maintain position of the anti-submarine belt at all seat positions. Appreciate any insight folks have on this.

The anti-submarine belt should have adjustment so you can lengthen and shorten the belt as needed. The other option would be to add an extra mount point in the floor and use a "clip" end on the belt so you can make moving it easier.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

You can add a second anti sub belt.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

4 (edited by BigBird 2020-06-17 05:34 PM)

rb92673 wrote:

You can add a second anti sub belt.

This is the right answer....One belt for taller drivers,one for the short ones...
Really smart people get one in a different color so as to make belting in a little easier...

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Thanks, this is helpful info.

We have a similar situation, but what we found surprised us all.
I'm our biggest driver at 6-05 and 275 lbs. We installed the sub-belt
so that it fit me. Every driver smaller than me has to move the seat forward.
When the seat moves forward the belt shortens just enough to lower the
belt clip to the right height for the other drivers. They're all pretty svelte,
so it works out. However, if you have a fire plug body type in the mix, all bets are off.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

"fire plug"...Ha! Great info. Thx.

DelinquentRacer wrote:

We have a similar situation, but what we found surprised us all.
I'm our biggest driver at 6-05 and 275 lbs. We installed the sub-belt
so that it fit me. Every driver smaller than me has to move the seat forward.
When the seat moves forward the belt shortens just enough to lower the
belt clip to the right height for the other drivers. They're all pretty svelte,
so it works out. However, if you have a fire plug body type in the mix, all bets are off.

That's how it works for us too. We used to have it more adjustable but never really requires adjustment.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner