Topic: Fuel Suppression Nozzle Install

Performed a forum search and did not find much on fuel suppression system installation. Purchased a 10lb system and understand location of where to place the two engine bay nozzles, and the driver nozzle at "approximately knee level just under the dash to the right". Should the rear (fourth nozzle) be mounted "inside" the rear of the car's hatch area, or make a hole in the floor and point the nozzle toward the gas tank?

Re: Fuel Suppression Nozzle Install

Hoffshaw/Hinmann wrote:

Performed a forum search and did not find much on fuel suppression system installation. Purchased a 10lb system and understand location of where to place the two engine bay nozzles, and the driver nozzle at "approximately knee level just under the dash to the right". Should the rear (fourth nozzle) be mounted "inside" the rear of the car's hatch area, or make a hole in the floor and point the nozzle toward the gas tank?

I think we only installed three in the vehicles with a stock tank. Personally,  I wouldn't do anything to uncover a stock fuel set up.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I take the approach that the word "suppression" is the key.  To me that means I need to suppress the fire to buy me time and space to get out.  If your fuel tank/cell is broached, the fire suppression nozzle pointed there is likely tinkling into the wind.  I want it to provide me a window of opportunity to get out so I'm more inclined to have that 4th nozzle in the driver area remembering that fire burns upward.  I think Lemons is a bit risk adverse in this area and doesn't recommend nozzle placement for liability reasons.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

4 (edited by chaase 2020-06-18 02:41 PM)

cheseroo wrote:

I take the approach that the word "suppression" is the key.  To me that means I need to suppress the fire to buy me time and space to get out.  If your fuel tank/cell is broached, the fire suppression nozzle pointed there is likely tinkling into the wind.  I want it to provide me a window of opportunity to get out so I'm more inclined to have that 4th nozzle in the driver area remembering that fire burns upward.  I think Lemons is a bit risk adverse in this area and doesn't recommend nozzle placement for liability reasons.

There is not a lot of guidance on it. I think they give the boilerplate answer of follow the instructions provided for proper placement. I don't think you can go wrong with extra in the driver compartment.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

The more nozzles the faster pressure leaves the tank, don't bother with the fuel cell in the trunk, the battle can not be won there and its far  enough from the occupant... focus on the driver, the other series recommends driver low/mid torso and fuel injection/carb for the minimum(2), I would add another on the driver if looking for ideas.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

Go for the priorities.  We have two pointed at the engine, and two pointed at the driver's crotch.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Thanks for all the quick responses. This is beneficial info. I failed to indicate that we are using the stock gas tank in its original location, not a fuel cell. It's a mid-80s hatchback. The suppression system instructions indicate to point the 4th nozzle at the fuel cell. But I think after reading all of the responses, I will redirect it to the driver's torso. Thx!