Topic: Basic wiring help for dumbest member of Audi A4 team

Okay, so I went and bought a bitchin’ new Racepak VANTAGE CL1 for our car. So excited to have a bunch of useless data to waste hours reviewing and analyzing who on our team is really the best, and who is the punk.
Installed it, then found out that it does not work on pre-2001 OBD. Yep, my 1998 Audi A4 OBD doesn’t link up. So, now that we know who is the punk on the team, I need help.
To make it all work, I simply need to connect one of the leads to the RPM sensor on the Audi cluster. I have tried all different wiring diagrams I can find online, and even tried connecting the lead to each wire on the back of the cluster. I’m stumped. Any advice?
A six-pack of the cheapest beer I can find to whomever gets me squared away. 1998 Audi A4 Quattro 1.8T
Thank you,
Robert ‘Idiot Dad’

Re: Basic wiring help for dumbest member of Audi A4 team

You could try taking it straight off the engine speed sensor, its the gray 3 wire plug on the drivers side of the firewall.  Pins 1 and 2 are the output to the ECU, pin 3 is the ground.  Otherwise, the RPM pin on the cluster depends on which cluster you have.  in 98 there were two different clusters but I'm guessing you have the more common one with the numbers on the analog clock.  If so, Pin 11 on the blue plug is the tach signal from the ECU.  If you need service manuals or other wiring diagrams or any other a4 help let me know. 

Here's a post that should have all the relevant info you need  https://www.audizine.com/forum/showthre … ter+wiring