Topic: Buttonwillow hot pit fueling, paddock allocation and other noobishness

I'll be at Buttonwillow in Sept, will hot pit fueling be allowed at the pit lane wall, or will it be back at the paddock?

How are hot pit spots allocated?

How are paddock spots allocated?

Do you keep the same hot pit spot through the whole race?

How do drivers find the crew in the hot pit? Do people wave signs or banners or something?

Do teams typically keep someone up at the hot pit to watch the car out on the course?

Is it still just driver change, ice and fuel only at the hot pit? Anything else allowed?

Can we measure tire temperature at the hot pit? It is not making any change to the car, or even touching the car, so I'm hoping it is okay.

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Re: Buttonwillow hot pit fueling, paddock allocation and other noobishness

They don't hot pit at West Coast races as there are too many cars.  You fuel and do everything else in your paddock space.  Safety rules are still the same. You pick whatever paddock space you want that is left.  Garages and RV spots can be reserved directly from Buttonwillow racetrack.  Once you claim a pit space, keep enough stuff on it and nobody else will take it.

Real Racers (TM) try and get pit spaces between the exit and entrance.  Get their Thursday if you want to try and claim one of those.  If you don't care, there is pretty much unlimited room at the track.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:

They don't hot pit at West Coast races...

Speaking as a native of the Pacific Northwest, I'll point out that The Ridge is, in fact, on the West Coast. Lemons has had hot-pit fueling there for the last few years.

rb92673 wrote:

...as there are too many cars.

Admittedly less of a problem at The Ridge. Still, under the current social-distancing requirements, I wouldn't rule out mandatory hot pits at any event until HQ makes a specific announcement for each race.

To answer Limonaid's other questions:

At races with mandatory hot-pit fueling, the spaces are not allocated. Everyone uses the same area, which is typically long enough for at least six-ish cars to be fueling at the same time without any crowding, even without anyone explicitly directing traffic for the efficient use of space. There is usually more than enough room. Each team has to haul all of their fueling gear to and from the hot pits for every stop; nothing can be stored there and no spaces can be "kept" from stop to stop. People do indeed wave signs or banners or something to draw attention to themselves when their car is approaching, so bring something distinctive. Some teams put a spotter near (not in) the hot pits, but really there's not much advantage between that location and having a spotter elsewhere with a good view (which isn't necessarily true of the hot pits). Driver, fuel, and ice only. Nothing else. If you get caught checking tire temperature you can expect to be told to stop and potentially get a black flag, as the whole idea is to minimize the number of people over the wall and the amount of time they spend there. There's no absolute rule about how many people you can use, but if you've got "extra" people over the wall either standing around for no reason or engaged in disallowed activities, expect the pit stewards to notice and be displeased.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I would be surprised if they ran a hot pit at Buttonwillow unless they changed something up.. The space between the walls seems pretty narrow.

That guy

DirtyDuc wrote:

I would be surprised if they ran a hot pit at Buttonwillow unless they changed something up.. The space between the walls seems pretty narrow.

Other budget racing series use a hotpit at Buttonwillow. Track off is before the timing loop on the west side of the tower and re-enter on the east side of the tower, and the refueling has been between those 2 spots. So if you drive off at track off into the paddock, you lose a lap I believe. But if you do a pit stop in the hot pits, you get credit for that lap (but I believe they have a minimum pit stop length if you pull into the hot pits)

but, again, that has NOT been Lemons going back to 2009 at least. But these are different times, so we'll have to wait for the official pre-race email to know what they are going to do with regards to hot pit vs in paddock refueling. I'm sure final official car count will play a factor, and they won't know that until they lock down the reg for the event.

mharrell wrote:
rb92673 wrote:

They don't hot pit at West Coast races...

Speaking as a native of the Pacific Northwest, I'll point out that The Ridge is, in fact, on the West Coast. Lemons has had hot-pit fueling there for the last few years.

I thought the Ridge was part of Canada.

Anyways as Spank said, Lemons has not done a hot pit at Buttonwillow as for at least the last 10 years, but who knows.  If they do have a hot pit for the COVID, bring a wagon to drag your stinky gas cans, spill tray and fire extinguisher to the wall.

I don't know if I am going to be at Buttonwillow this year, but there are plenty of experienced teams who are happy to mentor new or perpetually hopeless teams.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Thanks for all the good detail, I'll watch for the pre-race email.

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Some teams use stuffed animals on a stick.  The easy solution is to paint or duct tape your team number or mascot on the bottom of your drip pan. We run a green Beetle nicknamed "the turtle" since it is round, green, and slow; so our drain pan has a turtle on the bottom for easy identification among the numbers that other teams use.

Rumor has it that mooning your driver is very effective at getting their attention if the radio is not working and they aren't seeing your "come in to pit" sign as they go by; but that was probably using a two piece suit.  And probably not a good idea near the end of the straight.