Topic: 2020 HELL ON WHEELS BEAUTIFUL DOWNTOWN STOCKTON! wut

Hot, smells like cows, 300 miles of the most boring stretch of interstate 5, ending up in Bay Area traffic and density? What's not to like?

Hey! So I will be the sole Certified Official American Motors/Rambler Factory Authorized Human Race Team. I've sent a number of telegrams to George Romney, though I haven't heard back from him yet, I am confident a response will arrive before any deadline.

The only possible problem I can forsee (luckily I can't forsee the others, if I did, I probably wouldn't be this stupid) is a shortage of team members, given that no one I'm podding with down here is willing to take part in this foolishness. Is a team of one OK?

signed,

tom

PS: I can't find LeMon's telex number anywhere on the website.

Re: 2020 HELL ON WHEELS BEAUTIFUL DOWNTOWN STOCKTON! wut

tomicdesu wrote:

Is a team of one OK?

Yes. There have been several solo efforts in previous rallies, some intentional, some unintentional.

tomicdesu wrote:

PS: I can't find LeMon's telex number anywhere on the website.

Can't help you there. I think they're still waiting on parts for the "ran when parked" Kleinschmidt TT-4C they picked up for cheap.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

I drove Rt-66 in 2018 Solo in a Miata. Biggest issue is time wasted making the rally instagram posts. Much easier with a team member like I had for Texas last fall.

It would also help to you know, do them when there's More than 12 hours of daylight.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

I drove Rt-66 in 2018 Solo in a Miata. Biggest issue is time wasted making the rally instagram posts. Much easier with a team member like I had for Texas last fall.

Yeah, I did 2017? Death Valley and all that, yeah, the instagramg posting was a PITA by myself. I was part of a posse of 2, 3 cars, more fun because of that.

But I figured it's better to go than not, and see who I run into (umm I hope not literally) when I get there.

5 (edited by kajer 2020-07-27 02:31 PM)

Howdy Howdy!

Just got the go ahead to have hot sweaty cow smell fun with you all!  I'm bringing 2 spare tires with me for this one, but my cooling system will probably be unhappy.

Also plan is to repack rear axle bearings Thursday night. 

Edit: and probably a transmission swap this weekend. And terrible grammar

Transmission swap was a success, i now have some synchromesh to avoid double clutching every shift.  Luxury motoring!

I paid the $425 entry for this rally via the Lemons site.  It's week-of and it would be nice to get some sort of communication...

PSA: check your wheel bearings...or don't.  Rusty water isn't a great lubricant.

8 (edited by tomicdesu 2020-08-10 11:28 AM)

kajer wrote:

Rusty water isn't a great lubricant.

So YOU! say...

But yeah, my feeling is that at this point, we should probably not go, refund us and call it a @#$_(%&+)$*@Y#H FREAKING YEAR FOR DRIVING.

Besides personally sucking, it sucks for Le Mons''''''' folk. This shit hurts everyone. I would like a refund, but if you wanna sell me a t-shirt on the way out I'm game.

INSTEAD OF DRIVING LIKE MAD COVID IS DRIVING ME CRAZY or some shit.

I still want to do the rally, but we should get some confirmation before its too late to cancel hotels

Just tried the Contact US email on the rally info page. 

Your message wasn't delivered to steve@24hoursoflemons.com because the address couldn't be found, or is unable to receive mail.

This isn't good.   Just a little bit of comms from the rally organizers would be nice.

Hey,

The rally is on! Should be an email very soon with final details.

Sorry for the quiet communications on it; I’ve had more than a couple handfuls of grief helping put on our race last weekend in Connecticut. It’s gonna be a really fun rally; the route is spectacular!

ERIC

Sorry for the communcations backlog; things have been completely nuts at Lemons HQ. Info is coming shortly. Rally Start location is up here:

https://24hoursoflemons.com/lemons-rall … erey-2020/

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I had a blast!  emergency axle swap and all!

Until next time!

It's still 2020, right?

Sacramento seems further north than I remember, from here in Los Angeles, but I'm planning on driving the 2022 event. I got a new car that seems perfect, a 1960 Rambler American station wagon.

tomicdesu wrote:

Sacramento seems further north than I remember, from here in Los Angeles...

I hope to drive from Seattle for the Hell on Wheels Rally again next year and I assure you Sacramento is not particularly lacking in the aspect of being southward.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:

Sacramento is not particularly lacking in the aspect of being southward.

It's pretty much lacking in southness if you live in southern Arizona.

Of course, Seattle is even more so.

But New Orleans is doing pretty well in regards to southness. It's a bit lacking in westness, however.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.