Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

20gph is absolutely epic. What are the chances you make it to Pittrace? Lemons needs a two ton 440 vs 8.0L(?) shootout.

Congrats on the IOE!!!!

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

gtopat wrote:

20gph is absolutely epic. What are the chances you make it to Pittrace? Lemons needs a two ton 440 vs 8.0L(?) shootout.

Congrats on the IOE!!!!

Pittrace is possible.  Now the car is a little more reliable I'm hoping to pickup an extra race or two.

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

Happy to see you persist with this

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

darkostoj wrote:

By the end of the first day we had realized this car has no chance of ever being competitive EVER in this series.

You won IOE. That's the highest award you can win.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

BRAVO1

Alright.....I was on the fence with PITTRace this year. But if class C is going to be this epic, the Javelin is in.....
A bunch of Il handling behemoths must be done ......
Lets get as many of these cars as possible.
Manny

20gph.... That's insanity. Well done. IOE is a nice reward for the mad thrashing.

I know you said the setup isn't dialed in, but how does all your homemade stuff like the rear suspension feel? With so much work into it I'm sure it was cool seeing it work finally.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

783 (edited by darkostoj 2019-11-06 08:22 AM)

Guildenstern wrote:
darkostoj wrote:

By the end of the first day we had realized this car has no chance of ever being competitive EVER in this series.

You won IOE. That's the highest award you can win.

cheseroo wrote:

Happy to see you persist with this

Well, the IOE should be a one time only thing right?  Part of the fun for us is having some type of goal to work towards to introduce some type of competitiveness. It doesn't necessarily have to be winning the race, or whatever but need something to try to accomplish.  We are going to continue to develop the car and at the moment our two goals are:

1. Get fast lap
2. Win Class C

After we get those, going to try and come up with the next goal.

I have been kicking around the idea of building a new car that could actually win an overall race, and have had a lot of ideas floating around in my head...but for the moment I think i'm going to keep them just ideas....It's a shame, there were some really crazy good ones.

It will be an amazing accomplishment to get fastest lap with that car.  It also takes some luck with traffic for a car that big.  Would love to see it hauling the mail like that. 

It was good chatting with you and your team at G-man.  Your car is an amazing build.

LemonAid - Changing kids lives one lap at a time.

Congrats on the IOE!!

As far as winning with lots of fuel stops, find a race where they do hot pits.  We stop every hour and 10 minutes in the cadillac miata, but with hot pits, 90 second refuel/driver changes, and everything going perfectly, we pulled off the overall win in Colorado.

Also, I hope to see this car in person one of these days, great work.

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

Haven't read the rules recently, but would carbon fibre exterior panel pass tech? DIY of course for budgetary purposes, but the wings, bonnet and boot lid are all larger sturdy-looking steel parts. Roof and door skins are also tempting candidates, but are probably more of a safety concern.

Rolls Royce Snakeheart CSL has a certain ring to it.

Well done dude, Ive loved your car since I first saw it a few years ago!

1.5 hours???

Thats about half an hour LONGER then my vette runs on the factory tank!

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Emyr wrote:

...the wings, bonnet and boot lid are all larger sturdy-looking steel parts. Roof and door skins are also tempting candidates...

Replacing the bonnet with carbon fiber would be problematic, as Rule 3.J.2 specifies "OE hoods" for all cars. It also specifies "all doors in place" and, although the rule does not explicitly indicate OE doors, my guess is that DIY carbon fiber replacements would fail on the grounds of not really being doors. As you noted, this would immediately become a safety concern.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

mharrell wrote:
Emyr wrote:

...the wings, bonnet and boot lid are all larger sturdy-looking steel parts. Roof and door skins are also tempting candidates...

Replacing the bonnet with carbon fiber would be problematic, as Rule 3.J.2 specifies "OE hoods" for all cars. It also specifies "all doors in place" and, although the rule does not explicitly indicate OE doors, my guess is that DIY carbon fiber replacements would fail on the grounds of not really being doors. As you noted, this would immediately become a safety concern.

Yea yea. There are plenty of Lemons vehicles out there without OEM hoods on them. Moke used to have the back panel of a dryer as a hood. And as for doors... well...

There's the rules as they are written, and then there are those that are enforced. Sorta like the $500 thing

790 (edited by nimblemotorsports 2019-11-07 11:52 PM)

They celebrated that one car in a recap with a garbage can door.  It got smashed up during race, and they made another one from a stolen(wait borrowed) garbage can at the track..so you are ok I'd think.

Not that I don't 100% this idea, but putting a carbon fiber hood on this thing would be like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic.

Sorry For Party Racing! - 1985 Pontiac Firebird - Car #35

A race car exists only in two states: broken or in the process of becoming that way.

piper.gras wrote:

like throwing a deck chair off the Titanic.

Or fitting a rear spoiler to a tank. Hiiiilarious.

darkostoj wrote:

By the end of the first day we had realized this car has no chance of ever being competitive EVER in this series

Well, the IOE should be a one time only thing right?  Part of the fun for us is having some type of goal to work towards to introduce some type of competitiveness. It doesn't necessarily have to be winning the race, or whatever but need something to try to accomplish.  We are going to continue to develop the car and at the moment our two goals are:

1. Get fast lap
2. Win Class C

After we get those, going to try and come up with the next goal.

I have been kicking around the idea of building a new car that could actually win an overall race, and have had a lot of ideas floating around in my head...but for the moment I think i'm going to keep them just ideas....It's a shame, there were some really crazy good ones.

As long as you quit it with that flamethrower-through-T2 nonsense you may do a bit better than 20gph, at which point that car becomes hilariously more competitive, I'd think...once you found the power that thing was scary quick (and terrifying to see come barreling up on me in that T6-10 complex WEW)

re: new car, just remember, just because it was wrecked and just happens to appear at your shop doesn't make it worth 500 bucks...otherwise we may just happen to see the first 488 in Lemons history hah

always good racing/hanging out/drinking with you guys, we'll have to get together down at your shop one of these days!  I'm sure there's a surprising lack of 991 stickers there too

B Class winning Club 991 Prelude

794 (edited by darkostoj 2019-11-13 09:13 PM)

Got some in car footage!  We were having problems with the car breaking up so i was short shifting most of the time, and we were pulling it in here and there to try and diagnose what was going on.

https://youtu.be/WwnjYbsoCek

What did the plugs look like in it during and after the race? Between the breaking up you had and the giant fireballs I wonder if that thing isn't runner super rich. Since its the stock ECU it could definitely be adding way too much fuel for protection. I don't think you have a wide band in it right?

CLUB 991 - Honda Prelude
Gingerman Oct. 2018 - We Got Screwed
CMP April 2019 - Most Heroic Fix
Gingerman Oct. 2019 - Class B Winner

ballstene wrote:

What did the plugs look like in it during and after the race? Between the breaking up you had and the giant fireballs I wonder if that thing isn't runner super rich. Since its the stock ECU it could definitely be adding way too much fuel for protection. I don't think you have a wide band in it right?

The bad plug was only one one cylinder. All the others were perfect. I think oil is getting into that cylinder somehow.  Still haven't got around to investigating.  After this summer, a break from the car is definitely needed.

It's been a minute.

Hey

darkostoj wrote:

It's been a minute.

Hey

Welcome back.....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

799 (edited by darkostoj 2020-09-07 09:23 AM)

We have been getting this car out to track days trying to get the suspension dialed in but have been not getting very far with it.

I was told that we should get these things sorted in this order

1. Spring rates
2. Bar stiffness
3. Shock damping

So, we have been working on getting the car to feel "neutral" on those long sweeping turns and it keeps pushing and we keep adding stiffer front springs. It keeps getting better the stiffer we go so far.  We are at -4 camber 3/16 toe out and we are still getting wear on the outside edge of tire too...

We are up to 1500's up front now and the front still feels soft & car still pushes.  I had to turn down the shock perches to fit a 2.25" spring since I maxed out 2.5" spring stiffness. 

So I guess my question is....

What is the correct way to dial in front & rear spring stiffness when testing at the track?

At this point I'd consider working on the other end of the car and add more rear swaybar to get it to rotate.  Compressing 1500+ lb springs would scare the poop out of me.  IIRC I had 1200 lb springs in the XJ12 and installing them was about as exciting as I want to get.  Seems to me you want to control roll with bars, not springs.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)