26 (edited by Spank 2020-08-03 04:41 PM)

Re: body and home made parts.

Type44 wrote:

Spank, that's why you're an educator and I'm not.

I will grade it for spelling, though. A Chevy F Body... Is a CAMARO. No "E" in that name. It's amazing how far that misspelling has traveled into use.

You did explain why, say, rebodying a full size full frame Ford with pieces of 1950 Plymouth may be acceptable, where other materials are not. I couldn't get there, so I tried to avoid weighing in.

If it was me, with a rolled Vic, I'd go find a Vic body (not so hard, people put the frames under F100s all the time) and change out the part that is causing you and Tech so much discord...

FIFY

mharrell wrote:
Spank wrote:

It [the Moke] is more or less retired from competition

How close is it to street-legal? It would be an entertaining addition to a rally.

Open to interpretation... Would probably need put in the turn signals, a working horn and wipers, and a light to illuminate the license plate to satisfy the bare minimums of most jurisdictions that might care. Well, plus registering and insuring it.

Mr.Yuck wrote:
tdark_hart wrote:

I have a t5 from an s10 to use. The vic was pretty mangled up. The hood, drivers side doors, grill, and divers front fender were the only body parts that were saveable.

is a T5 from a V6 the same as one from a V8?

Yes and no. You can use a V6 t-5 with a V8 Engine, It requires you use a v8 bell housing a and I believe either a S-10 10 3/4" clutch set or a 94 Camaro Clutch set. The V6 T-5 is the same strength as the V-8 T-5, but has a different spline count on the input. Also the tail housing may have a different shifter location. I think the tail housings and input shafts are interchangeable, but I have not tried it my self yet.

Spank wrote:

To tempt you with what is possible:

Don't build "a Moke".

(In all honesty, the Moke is something that Jay Lamm himself has said is one of the cars that makes him lose sleep at night and he reserves the right to pull it off the track at any time and for any reason with zero refunds. It is more or less retired from competition)

Spank that is what I am talking about. That's cool stuff right there. That gocart looking thing with the model t bed looks cool too. 

I have been in contact with Mr. Pagel and I received this reply "I HIGHLY recommend you don't attempt a body swap, they are likely to become illegal." 

It is disappointing. Well this started out as just a track day rat rod, not a Lemons car. After learning more about the series I figured it would be cool if it could do both. I do not have road race experience on 4 wheels. Looked to be a way to get a ton of track time and feed my racing and building itch.

Type44 wrote:

I will grade it for spelling, though. A Chevy F Body... Is a CAMARO. No "E" in that name. It's amazing how far that misspelling has traveled into use.

Um, that is the point.  In Lemons it will always be CAMERO (almost always in caps), you can't say Corvette without yelling "Corvette Magazine!", everything is "$500 My Azz" with robot arms and you better not take yourself too seriously or you will end up "Johnny Real Racer (tm)".

FYI, the reason it is Camero is when you are looking for a Lemons grade f-body 8 years ago, you would without a doubt be more successful finding candidates on CL with that search term...not a joke.

tdark_hart wrote:

[snip] Well this started out as just a track day rat rod, not a Lemons car. After learning more about the series I figured it would be cool if it could do both.[snip]

Someone in my area just put out for sale what looks like a stripped Deuce Coupe project roller. Keep noodling it - I'm sure there's more inspiration to come.

tdark_hart wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:
tdark_hart wrote:

I have a t5 from an s10 to use. The vic was pretty mangled up. The hood, drivers side doors, grill, and divers front fender were the only body parts that were saveable.

is a T5 from a V6 the same as one from a V8?

Yes and no. You can use a V6 t-5 with a V8 Engine, It requires you use a v8 bell housing a and I believe either a S-10 10 3/4" clutch set or a 94 Camaro Clutch set. The V6 T-5 is the same strength as the V-8 T-5, but has a different spline count on the input. Also the tail housing may have a different shifter location. I think the tail housings and input shafts are interchangeable, but I have not tried it my self yet.

The S10 shifter location is in a forward location, as far forward on the tail housing as it can be.  It's a popular part to swap onto another T5 when that trans is swapped into various cars. I.E. it has value if you don't need it.  The T5's in the GM cars are not quite as strong as the Ford version. Not by much but just a bit less.  Parts for the Ford version are much easier to get, such as gear sets, alternate 5th gear ratios, etc. Bearings and such are mostly the same. 

I've rebuilt both versions starting with the T5 in the "Bread Van" Opel GT and later the '48 Plymouth of Bad Decisions.  That supercharged V6 they have in there just eats T5's, that and multiple drivers beating on it didn't help.