Topic: 2002 Lexus IS300 Manual 5-Speed: 2500$ Fuquay-Varina, NC

I posted on GRM and the guys there correctly pointed out the Lemons crowd might be interested, so here's the ad:

Late in 2018 I was rear ended in my 2002 Lexus IS300. I have been fighting with that individual's insurance company since, and finally had a resolution. Now the car just makes me sad and angry to see in my driveway. It would make a fantastic donor for a project, but I already have WAY too many. I bought the car in 2018 from a salvage auction with some front end damage which I repaired... and then was rear-ended only 6 months later. hooooraay.

The car has a 2JZGE and W55, and as far as I know factory LSD (see Door VIN tag; B01B means LSD), it runs drives, stops, does all the car stuff. I'm actually still daily driving it ~20 miles to work everyday, AC blows cold, radio bumps.

I did the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump when I initially bought the car in 2018. I did the valve cover gaskets and brakes some time in early 2020, new tires around the same time.

The Bad:

-The body (obviously)
-Cracked windshield
-The trunk is wired shut and taped up to keep moisture out
-Replaced the passenger side light with some DOT legal LED ATV taillights; they set off the cars "bulb out" sensor. This could be rectified with an appropriate resistor wired in line.
-Driver's door window has come off the track and needs to be re-attached (seems to be a semi-common issue) which I hope to do before selling the car since I'm still driving it.
-Check Engine Code P0440 "Evap Leak - Small", pops everytime the tank gets down to about 1/4 tank. Fill the tank, clear the code, pops at 1/4 tank again. I've check all the obvious/easy stuff, replaced hoses and the gas cap, but refuse to drop the tank cause I doubt I'd be able to get it back in with the rear end damage.

I would love to see this car go to someone to become a donor for a project, or hell cut it up and drive it basically as is. I'd like to get $2500. I'm located in Fuquay-Varina, NC. If needed I can negotiate partial or full transportation.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer as best I can. If you're already registered on GRM I think I'm probably more likely to respond to comments and questions there but I'll try to remember to check over here. There are more pictures posted on GRM; I'd post the link but I'm not allowed yet.

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/prod.mm.com/uploads/2020/06/05/1591389114_capture5_mmthumb.JPG
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/prod.mm.com/uploads/2020/06/05/1591389172_capture2_mmthumb.JPG
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/prod.mm.com/uploads/2020/06/05/1591389225_capture8_mmthumb.JPG
https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/prod.mm.com/uploads/2020/06/05/1591389276_capture15_mmthumb.JPG

Re: 2002 Lexus IS300 Manual 5-Speed: 2500$ Fuquay-Varina, NC

I've actually been eyeing this car on craigslist for a while for exactly this purpose, but the rear end damage makes me nervous that I wont be able to pass tech without some serious repair because of rule 3.D.2. "Cars with compromised OE crush structures are exceedingly likely to fail tech". 

Anyone have a feel for what it will take to get it to pass?

Our Miata was crashed pretty hard in the front before we bought it, which is why we got it cheap.  We pulled the frame rails back mostly straight and bolted on most of the OE bumper stuff and no one has asked about it in any tech inspection over the last 4 seasons, and its obvious that it was crashed...

That looks totally repairable to get it to pass Lemons tech.  People seem to like these things way too much, so you could probably make back most of that purchase price by selling off the interior and other bits that you don't need on the track.

Petrosexual Racing - 4.9 HT swap/Trashback Miata
https://forums.24hoursoflemons.com/view … p?id=35746
BFE GP '18 - 1st in C, High Plains Drifter -19 - 1st in B/Overall
Uh oh, Spaghettios...

For what it's worth I don't think the frame rails were damaged, it's just body damage. The "upside" of the woman who hit me driving a large SUV she doesn't need... she completely missed the rear impact bar so it just crushed the deck-lid and pushed in the rear quarter-panels.

This is by no means a guarantee that is the case though, I can't confirm this is the case without dropping the fuel tank. I've been driving the car for almost 2 years like this and it doesn't wear tires or handle strangely so all the suspension points are unaffected.

5 (edited by billstewartx 2020-08-06 05:44 AM)

$2500 bucks for a CRASHED 2002 Lexus IS300 Manual ??  CRACK PIPE...  i wouldn't pay that for a UN-crashed one
you can get an crashed  miata  for that kind of money
or a zillion other cars

$500 bucks... maybe...

You're entitled to your opinion; maybe YOU wouldn't pay that but the large number of people who ARE interested would disagree that my price is unfair. I don't expect you to know the market for a manual in one of these cars, but I assure you if you do the research it's worth what I'm asking.

Feel free to track down a crashed Miata and buy that instead.

I'm mileage curious for this manual ride

Car has 242k on the clock. I've got a guy coming to look at it Sunday, obviously if it sells I'll update this posting.

Medchin wrote:

For what it's worth I don't think the frame rails were damaged, it's just body damage. The "upside" of the woman who hit me driving a large SUV she doesn't need... she completely missed the rear impact bar so it just crushed the deck-lid and pushed in the rear quarter-panels.

This is by no means a guarantee that is the case though, I can't confirm this is the case without dropping the fuel tank. I've been driving the car for almost 2 years like this and it doesn't wear tires or handle strangely so all the suspension points are unaffected.

Judging by the damage there is some distortion in the "crumple zones" My Mustang was barley scuffed by a red light runner. I thought a new bumper and I'll be on my way. The insurance company told me the entire front cradle needed to be replaced because of distortion. It doesn't take much, that said I'm not saying it wouldn't be safe to race.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Medchin wrote:

You're entitled to your opinion; maybe YOU wouldn't pay that but the large number of people who ARE interested would disagree that my price is unfair. I don't expect you to know the market for a manual in one of these cars, but I assure you if you do the research it's worth what I'm asking.

Feel free to track down a crashed Miata and buy that instead.

already did.  $600 on Copart.

this "car" has  been for sale here for TWO MONTHS...

Crack Pipe! 

i think this falls squarely in Judge Phils "craigslist translation"
***  I know what this is worth !! ***

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/but-w … ion-guide/

drop the price to $500, and someone MAY buy it...

billstewartx wrote:

$2500 bucks for a CRASHED 2002 Lexus IS300 Manual ??  [snip]

Well, now, wait a minute there: It's a Lexus manual, and there aren't that many, and fewer every day; 242k on the vehicle, but still daily driving. That's got to count for something, right?

BUT: there's 242k on the tranny, and this is a TWICE crashed (presumably totaled each time) vehicle no one in PA would be able to touch because inspection, codes, and a busted windshield.

Lemons wants $500 cars, not $2500 cars - why would grassroots send you here, knowing that?

I'd say there's value some there, at least in the tranny, but geez ...

Well the car has sold. For my asking price. The reason it took two months was dealing with buying a new DD for myself before selling it.

Yes, it has a salvage title. Yes the first time it was hit it was totaled. BUT it's worth noting I repaired all the damage from that accident. All it takes to total a car in NC is repair costs exceeding 75% "value". With a 10 year old vehicle that's a fender and a bumper. Correct me if I'm wrong 24 hours of Lemons is a RACING series correct? You don't need to register the car for the road. Plenty of Lemons cars compete without windshields.

New owner has already sold the interior and engine, basically got the trans and the rest of the car for free. You're welcome to think what you will of my car and my price on the internet without having seen it in person, but it's a non-issue as the car as sold.

I, for one, say: Congratulations!

I was thinking at least the tranny would have a significant value proposition for someone - in addition to me.

And it wouldn't surprise me to see that it made it to a race track near you, in the relatively near future.