Re: Racing Truck without a Bed?

dhharmuth,

I hope you see Pagel, Spank, Cheeseroo and myself, (in that order) want to keep you safe and see you enjoy your time on the track.

And 3 of us are using our real names. (Yes, I think his middle name really is Cheeseroo) We want to see you succeed.

Following the advise of some unknown entity who is telling you how to skirt the rules, or short change the safety precautions at 70+ MPH might generate yucky results.

Bob

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

cheseroo wrote:
Mr.Yuck wrote:

If they fail your bedless truck then all the others need to go find a bed before they race again. I guess you could gut the entire floor out to save some weight.

There are plenty of cars that have been around a long time where the rules have changed yet they have been granted grandfathered exemptions for one thing or another.  At the point where they don't want to see it anymore or want changes before it's next race, they'll let you know.

In 2018 NJMP there was a little PU that ditched the bed and added a fake stake body and was a "landscaping truck".

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr. Yuck said "In 2018....."

I think I see your problem right there....

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

+1 for bed swap. It's an upgrade on both sides of the transaction. Purchaser gets a new bed, you get the compliance, weight, *and* money off your purchase price.

bobnowoc wrote:

dhharmuth,

I hope you see Pagel, Spank, Cheeseroo and myself, (in that order) want to keep you safe and see you enjoy your time on the track.

And 3 of us are using our real names. (Yes, I think his middle name really is Cheeseroo) We want to see you succeed.

Following the advise of some unknown entity who is telling you how to skirt the rules, or short change the safety precautions at 70+ MPH might generate yucky results.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'm totally green when it comes to racing.  I found out about you guys when I was looking for a kit car.  I found one I liked and wanted to see what local tracks I had I could race it on.  I'm from Pittsburgh so we have PittRace.  On their website they had a link to your webpage.  I love the idea and its a lot more affordable than the kit car.  I thought I could do some modifications based on various Lemons I saw on the web and from the rules discouraging but not outlawing modifications.  The OE crumple zone is however the deciding clause.  The last thing I want to do is anger you guys by asking for advise then skirting it.  Safety is #1, especially for an event like this.

Also, if you're worried that you paid over $500 for your PU and that you'll catch grief at BS inspection, don't be.  I highly doubt that the judges will care, as they like seeing more pickups racing.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

32 (edited by bobnowoc 2020-08-08 01:00 PM)

dhharmuth,

You did everything right.

You came up with an idea, pitched to us, and took the good advise from old timers like Pagel and Spank.

Well done all around!

My anger and disappointment is with Mr. Yuck, who repeatedly gave you poor advise that would either make your race truck less safe, or result in you failing the new tech rules and having to sit on the bleachers.

I cant wait to see another race truck.
I wouldnt race in a truck, but I am so happy you will do it for us!

Good luck on your build, and please keep asking the forum for advice.

We wouldnt have anything to talk about if you didnt ask questions.

Cheers!
Bob

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

I suppose I'll have to email Pagel too.  My pickup didn't come with a tailgate and now I need to know if I have to find one.  I have an extra bumper...Maybe I could cut the ends off and weld it into the gap instead.

King.  I think asking pagel is a great idea.

I dont know that welding on a second bumper in the gap is a great idea.

Ask first

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Also, I'm pretty sure a second bumper in the gap goes way past the bottom of the list of the ongoing argument:

Which is better for fuel economy: tailgate up, down, removed, or a mesh gate?

And since this is racing, this isn't really thread drift.

bobnowoc wrote:

dhharmuth,

You did everything right.

You came up with an idea, pitched to us, and took the good advise from old timers like Pagel and Spank.

Well done all around!

My anger and disappointment is with Mr. Yuck, who repeatedly gave you poor advise that would either make your race truck less safe, or result in you failing the new tech rules and having to sit on the bleachers.

I cant wait to see another race truck.
I wouldnt race in a truck, but I am so happy you will do it for us!

Good luck on your build, and please keep asking the forum for advice.

We wouldnt have anything to talk about if you didnt ask questions.

Cheers!
Bob

just going by what I have seen at many Lemons races. A PU w/o a bed is still safer then 1/2 the crap cans on the track.

37 (edited by bobnowoc 2020-08-10 04:59 PM)

Still missing the point here Mr. Y.

1.  The rules changed for 2020.  Removing crash structures could get him a FAIL at tech.

2. If he follows your advise, removes the bed, fails tech, and cant race his truck, are you going to let him drive yours?

3. Because others have unsafe vehicles, doesnt mean we should encourage another poor build.  We should encourage all newbies to build the safest, cheapest, and fastest cars possible (in that order) . Saying " 0ther cars are unsafe, so lets do more janky builds" is foolish.

Bob

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Update on my misfortune. After gutting the car and engine bay I then decided to take the bed off. The rockers on the cab were gone but the bed was clean underneath. I take off the fender flares and wheel wells and it's completely rusted out and 2 frame bolts are stuck on. Can't cut or grind because I can't get the tank out. So it's worth only it's weight in scrap. Many things are not what they reported to be so I'm going to part out the truck and go another way. Parts will be in that forum thread. Thank you to everyone who replied. I might run a truck in Lemons but not this one.

Best,
Don

I am so glad you found that.

Sorry for your bad luck.

Hope to see you on the track soon.
Bob

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

bobnowoc wrote:

Still missing the point here Mr. Y.

1.  The rules changed for 2020.  Removing crash structures could get him a FAIL at tech.

2. If he follows your advise, removes the bed, fails tech, and cant race his truck, are you going to let him drive yours?

3. Because others have unsafe vehicles, doesnt mean we should encourage another poor build.  We should encourage all newbies to build the safest, cheapest, and fastest cars possible (in that order) . Saying " 0ther cars are unsafe, so lets do more janky builds" is foolish.

Bob

So a car that has removed the "structure" in the doors, basically only a "skin" will fail tech, even know the car has NASCAR style door bars? what about a gutted deck lid? fail?

dhharmuth wrote:

Update on my misfortune. After gutting the car and engine bay I then decided to take the bed off. The rockers on the cab were gone but the bed was clean underneath. I take off the fender flares and wheel wells and it's completely rusted out and 2 frame bolts are stuck on. Can't cut or grind because I can't get the tank out. So it's worth only it's weight in scrap. Many things are not what they reported to be so I'm going to part out the truck and go another way. Parts will be in that forum thread. Thank you to everyone who replied. I might run a truck in Lemons but not this one.

Best,
Don

Sorry bro. FWIW Gen I Dakota's came with a 5.2, 5 speed option.

42 (edited by bobnowoc 2020-08-14 07:45 PM)

Yuck, 

Skinning the doors and installing Nascar style door bars and cage is not equal to removing the crumple zone designed into a truck bed and replacing it with nothing.

Or.....

Installing nascar style door bars as described in the rules, and removing the rear body pannell of a truck bed as is Highly discouraged in the rules are not the same thing.

You are still arguing to disassemble a truck bed that is
1. Highly discouraged in the rules
2. Not your truck
3. And a truck that is no longer being built due to horrible rust.

Try this...
"Oops,  my bad guys.  Pagel is right.  See you at the race"

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo