Topic: Can we run lexan door windows?

Was thinking about setting up the car a little better in case we see rain.

Is it legal to pull the glass out of the car and replace it with plastic lexan style in the doors?

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

Re: Can we run lexan door windows?

I don't know the rules exactly for this, but just based off of 3.F.4 and how the window netting is worded, I'd imagine it's a no go just from a driver safety standpoint in a worse case scenario situation.

We managed to make a small triangle of lexan work in the corner of the driver side window, almost like the old Ford corner glass.  It helped keep the rain out at speed at least.

NJMP '11--#132 (Speedycop), NJMP '12 to '16--#215 (Philthy Motorsports), NJMP '16--#75 Most Heroic Fix, NJMP '17--#75 (still drying out), NJMP '18--#75, NHMS '18 - #75 Datsun 510

3.J.9 Glass, Headlights, and Taillights. All glass windshields or windows must be OE-type automotive laminated or tempered glass. Driver’s- and passenger’s-side front windows must be removed, or left open behind fully encasing door panels.

Sorry, no front side windows allowed.

For heavy rain we fashioned a rain deflector and foil taped that to the A-pillar.
It only stuck out about 3 inches but made a pretty big difference in the amount of water
intrusion. However, of greater import was the window defogger.

Capt. Delinquent Racing
RUST-TITE XR4Ti - '21 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA  I Got Screwed
The One & Only Taurus V8 SHO #31(now moved on to another OG Delinquent)
'17 Vodden the Hell - (No) Hope for the Future Award, '08 AMP Survivor, '08 ARSE-FREEZE-APALOOZA Mega-Cheater

DelinquentRacer wrote:

3.J.9 Glass, Headlights, and Taillights. All glass windshields or windows must be OE-type automotive laminated or tempered glass. Driver’s- and passenger’s-side front windows must be removed, or left open behind fully encasing door panels.

Sorry, no front side windows allowed.

For heavy rain we fashioned a rain deflector and foil taped that to the A-pillar.
It only stuck out about 3 inches but made a pretty big difference in the amount of water
intrusion. However, of greater import was the window defogger.

What about a vinyl window like on a boat with snaps?

5 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-08-25 06:40 PM)

My guess is this rule implicates someone reaching in to help an unconscious driver out of the vehicle, and, switching off the electric if it's near that corner of the cockpit.

But as others have posted, Lexan inside the door for driving on the street, or storage, has been done.

6 (edited by TheEngineer 2020-08-25 07:31 PM)

The rules are pretty clear, during the race your side windows must be open. There must be nothing there. The only exception is a window net if you run one. It's a safety thing so that emergency crew can get to you, and so you can get out in an emergency if the door is wedged shut. You don't want to have one more thing in your way if there is a fire.

Like mentioned above you can build some deflectors to try and minimize the amount of water that comes in, as long as they don't obstruct the window area. We've run some fairly aggressively wet races and didn't get nearly as wet as we thought we would, but every car is different in the way the air moves around it and pulls rain.

Big old +1 to defroster though. DIY electric defroster grid on the front window is the #1 thing you can do to improve your racing experience in the rain. You will never have fog again.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

IIRC Speedy Cops VW bus had side windows on the bus body that hinged out.

Bill

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

darkostoj wrote:

Was thinking about setting up the car a little better in case we see rain.

Is it legal to pull the glass out of the car and replace it with plastic lexan style in the doors?

in the other league we ran a lexan "vent" (triangle)  style window on either side (84 Trans Am). It was angled slightly outward, that plus the window kept us dry....much more so than teams that raced w/o. We came straight down from the A-pillar to the door.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

When I have raced in the rain, I don't remember much water coming in through the windows.  I do remember it leaking in the sunroof area, duct tape fixed that.  This was Sonoma drizzle though, not a real heavy downpour.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Every car varies, but our T-bird stays pretty dry in the rain. Like Pitt 2019 rain. When you stop is when you really get wet.

A little cunning aero work keeps you dry most of the time.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Guildenstern wrote:

Every car varies, but our T-bird stays pretty dry in the rain. Like Pitt 2019 rain. When you stop is when you really get wet.

A little cunning aero work keeps you dry most of the time.

I thought Rolls Royce cars came with an umbrella in the door.  Problem solved.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

We removed the little triangle windows in our Miata and found out instantly when it rained why Mazda designed the car with them.  Rain wraps itself around the A pillar and right into the driver's face.  To combat this my cuter-half cut a yard sign into a triangle that we stuff/tape into the spot where the little triangle window used to be.  It worked perfectly in the deluge that was last summer's race at Heartland.  The sign has a place in our trailer for when we next need it.

We have the AVS window vent/shade visors. We park the car outside, and can leave windows down an inch or so without collecting rain, at home or at the race. They keep the spray out when driving, even with windows all the way down.  Just get good ones if you go that route. The cheap Ebay specials weren't worth the  "savings", even at a third the price. 

And since it is an occasional driver - to work once every week or two to circulate fluids - we left the wipers on and the heat and defrost system in. Best system around for rain or defogging.

Stan in Bham wrote:

We have the AVS window vent/shade visors. We park the car outside, and can leave windows down an inch or so without collecting rain, at home or at the race. They keep the spray out when driving, even with windows all the way down.  Just get good ones if you go that route. The cheap Ebay specials weren't worth the  "savings", even at a third the price. 

And since it is an occasional driver - to work once every week or two to circulate fluids - we left the wipers on and the heat and defrost system in. Best system around for rain or defogging.

Those sound like a great idea....now I just need to find them for a 77 Rolls Royce lol

darkostoj wrote:
Stan in Bham wrote:

Those sound like a great idea....now I just need to find them for a 77 Rolls Royce lol

Why not just fill in the vent windows with Lexan maybe make them an inch or so wider? That still gives you a very open window, and as long as the car is moving you won't get much rain inside.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Lexan, heat it up bend it, custom fit for anything you want.

You don't mold Lexan, you fold Lexan.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport