Topic: A Tale of Two Hoopties: CMP->HPR 24H DOUBLE HEADER MEGATHREAD ????

I've only done one 24h hour race before: "Chicago 2015" - more specifically, Joliet. Autobahn Country Club. My "home" track, if you will (as it is the closest racetrack to my house). Given the home field advantage, it seemed like the ideal spacetime to manifest a long sought-after piece of the Lemons puzzle: a Hyundai Scoupe. No longer just a fever dream, sweet Murilee, The Wonderment Consortium was actually doing it!

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LIL15/955-DSC_0775.jpg

As perhaps anticipated, things went sideways pretty fast and our entry was a colossal failure by all objective and subjective standards, confirmed by the bittersweet Heroic Fix iron we lugged home.

But this post is not a reflection upon failures past. This post is a testament that time does in fact heal all wounds. It is a prospective and excited look to future failures, even those that you may never get to actualize. And perhaps more importantly, this post serves as further proof that people never learn, and idiocy knows no bounds!

Earlier today I paid up, so I guess you could say things are getting pretty serious- time for tHe BiG rEvEaL: I'll be wreaking havoc at two simultaneous races in one weekend. Will COVID fuck this whole plan up? Probably. Buy the ticket, take the ride, blah blah. I'm sure wave 2 will hit hard as soon as I book airfare. In for a penny, in for a pound- add to the silly. If you will it, it is no dream. Fuck it, let's go racing. (safely, as we proven we are capable of)

Is this a Lemons first? I think so. Certainly the first 2x24 in Lemons. Is this a world first? I have no fucking clue, so I am going to say "yes, probably" with the hope of being proven wrong by someone who has more time, better research skills, and greater impulse control than I. But seriously, like, when has there even ever been two goddamn 24-hour races happening at the same time? Let alone in the same series! Daytona, Sebring, LeMans, Nurburgring - separated by weeks - never in the same weekend. Jay Lamm you depraved madman. So based solely on the assessment of "when will your dumb ass ever get a shot at something like this again," I set off to find a pair of enabling teams who were agreeable to the notion.

Why I am writing this post:
The seven eight P's:

• Proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance, probably.

• Proof, plus posterity: If I don't write this shit down ASAP I never well.

• Practical problems - I have a lot of questions ("Do I need to get my gear re-teched?", "Do personal black flags carry over between events?", etc)

• Publicity - get some love for Schumacher Taxi Service (CMP) and USMC Racing (HPR). They gonna get Steinkamp'd!

• Pushy peer pressure - I'm jumping off a bridge, so why don't you? Outdo me: go HPR->CMP and cut 2 hours out of your travel budget. I double-dog-dare you, pussy

• Probability that all my plans get COVID'd the way shit is going

• Poop - everyone does it

• Parts - like your race car, this story will be composed of many and they are all terrible. Stay tuned.

"THE WONDERMENT CONSORTIUM"
Everything dies baby that's a fact,
But maybe everything that dies someday comes back?

2 (edited by derekste 2020-09-08 12:09 PM)

Re: A Tale of Two Hoopties: CMP->HPR 24H DOUBLE HEADER MEGATHREAD ????

PART II: THE FEAR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quvod9TRWi8

Thank you Lemons and all the anxiety you provoke within me.

3 part story my ass!

Only way to top this next year is to enter the same car in both races, start one and run a few laps, then drive your STREET-LEGAL RACECAR to the other for the mega-finish.  Google Maps says it is a 23 1/2 hour trip (1,566 miles), but you gain an hour on the way if you go east to west.

Instant Lemons Legend? Anyone up for the road trip next year?

Stan in Bham wrote:

Only way to top this next year is to enter the same car in both races, start one and run a few laps, then drive your STREET-LEGAL RACECAR to the other for the mega-finish.  Google Maps says it is a 23 1/2 hour trip (1,566 miles), but you gain an hour on the way if you go east to west.

Instant Lemons Legend? Anyone up for the road trip next year?

actually you gain 2 hours! Eastern->Central, Central->Mountain (-:

Flights booked. May the odds be ever in our favor.

BUMPED AND OFFICIALLY DOUBLE-DOUBLE DUMB NOW.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/blog/24-hou … s-new-low/

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

therood wrote:

BUMPED AND OFFICIALLY DOUBLE-DOUBLE DUMB NOW.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/blog/24-hou … s-new-low/

TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM AIRPORTS PROVIDED BY CHRYSLER!
https://media.ed.edmunds-media.com/chrysler/town-and-country/2010/oem/2010_chrysler_town-and-country_passenger-minivan_limited_fq_oem_2_500.jpg