Topic: Welder/fabricator

Looking for someone to help out with welding and fabrication of my roll cage. I live in Crown Point, IN. Any leads would be great!

Re: Welder/fabricator

I live in fort wayne and have built cages, what make/model car you working on, what fabrication tools do you have?

There are a number of teams in your area and I know that some have bent up their own cages but to be honest your best bet would be to order a cage kit for your car. Then all you need to do is cut the tube ends to length, etc.  There's a lot involved in making a safe, legal cage!
If I wasn't that busy with my won projects I'd help you. I've helped build a few cages for Lemons race cars. I'm in South Holland, IL.
Some of those local teams may reply to your post once they see it.

I don’t have much in regards to fabrication. Chop saw, angle grinder, die grinder, etc. I have a 2009 rabbit 2 door. I had a cage made by Rhodes. For the most part I really need someone to weld and assist with some of the notching. The car is inside my barn. I have 220 outlets. The car is gutted and I have already started fabricating the boxes for the spreader plates since the floor pans have a pretty good drop.

DerfO wrote:

I had a cage made by Rhodes. For the most part I really need someone to weld and assist with some of the notching. The car is inside my barn.

All the Rhodes cages we looked at were design to be installed with the interior intact...they are relatively local to us so we wanted to try them.  You will have challenges getting it to pass tech but it is possible (usually) with modificiations.  Make sure you have the seat location for your tallest driver installed and ready to test clearances, in particular helmet clearance.

Thanks for the input. I have a custom cage and had to provide all the measurements which were taken without any interior installed. Thus far it is pretty tight, albeit with room to weld which I accounted for in the measurements.