Topic: What do you use for ATF?

Given the passionate debate on brake fluid I was surprised to not find much on atf. Saw a few references to redline atf but thats about it. Any royal purple fans? Other recommendations?

My particular application is a ford 4r70w. Mercon V recommended.

Re: What do you use for ATF?

Hands down, Amalie universal synthetic trans fluid. Had more issues with redline.I now use it exclusively at work for customers.

10 years endurance racing automatic and counting

Shop around a bit, I pay $50 a case locally

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Amalie-160-7 … 1ed532669d

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

We use a manual transmission for our ATF.  We have had mixed results.

when we were running a 7004r we used our ac condenser as a cooler. I forgot what fluid we used but is was not ATF. I think it came from a tractor supply company.  I'll find out and get back with you. We had no issues over a few races. It just felt like the thing was in the wrong gear half the time, even with a rebuilt trans with a modified manual valve body.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

johnjamesmiller wrote:

Given the passionate debate on brake fluid I was surprised to not find much on atf...

If you want some debate on ATF: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/f … es-p-s.16/

EPA Racing - #40 Supercharged Dodge Caliber

Prepping for CMP, I just changed the fluid in the tbird's T5. Used the cheap store-brand Dex/Merc from Advance Auto. Man that stuff stunk. Like a fart in a bottle. Never noticed that from ATF before....

Wonder what they're putting in it nowadays...

Interceptor Motorsports
351w Foxy T-Bird - Class B Winner!, 440 Bluesmobile - Judges Choice, Org Choice & IOE!, Camero, Fuego Turbo - Heroic Fix & IOE!

We actually use Walmart supertech fluid.  depending on were you live its actually made by Penzoil, Quaker state, or Exxon.   So its a cheaper alternative to name brands thats actually OK oil.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Whatever the transmission manufacturer recommends, or the modern equivalent thereof.

For us (in a 60s Mopar) that would be an old Chrysler spec I've forgotten the name of, which was superseded by Dexron. I don't feel like shelling out for full-synthetic Dexron VI, so that means the cheap auto parts store-brand Dex III/Merc blend in the 5 gallon jug.

We use the same stuff in the '41 Olds, because it's cheap and anything is probably better than what they specified back then.