Topic: Fuel Cell in a X

So I picked up a fuel cell, as we are working on a swap that will foul the stock tank location:

https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/prod.mm.com/uploads/2020/09/03/1599151815_20200828_110306_mmthumb.jpg

And now I'm working out the cell cage.

Planning to build from 1" box on all sides, and terminate the tubes to cage style 1/8" or thicker spreader plate.

Tubes will surround the upper lip of the cell, and drop down to the frunk floor or firewall on the 2 sides and rear. For the top there will be 2 tubes ran from the left to right on wither side of the fill plate.

How should I handle the front? I will have to run bar(s) along the outside of the frunk behind the radiator, but dont know If I should have any horizontal bars between the cell cage and the radiator.

I'm working with pretty low clearances to the hood given the wedge shape of the X, so suggestions are welcome

Thanks!

Re: Fuel Cell in a X

These questions are best asked of John Pagel,Tech Tyrant....  pagel@24hoursoflemons.com

His is the only opinion that matters when it comes to safety related topics...

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

The fuel cell for the Imp is mounted up front.  To protect it, we built what was essentially Nascar style door bars across the nose.  The legs of the bars terminated in spreader plates in the wheel wells.  In a big hit the bars would be driven backwards with the spreader plates being stopped by the tires before the bars could contact the cell.  Or that was the theory anyway.  The cell is within its own cage of 1" tubing. The bars were originally removable but Jay made me weld them in place.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Run all plans by John. But the general rule is that nothing in your design should act as a spear into the cell if you're in an accident. It's a good idea to have a full box around the cell so that in a shunt the box can deflect the forces around the cell and into other parts of the car without collapsing the cell itself. That may mean running a bar on the other side of the front of the frunk.

but again, work with John, he'll help you find the answer that will pass tech.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

From your description, it sounds like you are on the right path regarding a full cradle for the cell.  We overbuild our cell cradle using 2"x1" .120 wall tube.  One vertical brace on the sides and two on the front and back of the cell and two over the top.  The tolerances are very tight assuring the cell has no movement.  We used this method rather than using the 30+ top cover perimeter bolts for ease of removal/service.  We secured the cradle to the car by sandwiching the rear unibody frame rails with the rectangle tube and bolting everything together using grade 8 hardware.  Passed tech with flying colors.  The cradle also weights about 80lbs so...