Topic: Welding Doors Shut?

I had an odd question and could not find an answer in the forums.  I guess this is a newbie question but really its a tech question.  Since you have to have door braces, it makes using the door to get in and out this side of useless for a low car.  And since you have to remove the glass in the windows, why not weld the doors shut for added protection and rigidity?  Doors that entrap you are forboden in the rules but I wanted to ask if anyone has done this and if it would pass tech today.

Re: Welding Doors Shut?

I have a car which has a big window opening.  It is still much easier to get out of the car with the door open.  I don't see how welding the doors shut helps you any, but it certainly makes pit stops and emergency exits harder.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Normally, the top of your cage's door bar is still going to be lower than the top of your door.  Why make it harder to get in and out, or to make it harder for a teammate helping you get belted in or adding ice to a cool suit cooler from the passenger side?  It may only be a few inches extra room with the door open, but if it helps you get out of the car faster when it's on fire it's worth it.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

You are allowed to weld them shut if you really want to, but i have never seen a car where it was not easier to get out with the door open. Tech may and usually does ask you to demonstrate that you can get out fast, and if you can't they will ask for you to make changes.

It is also soooo much easier to work on the car when the door can open and you can reach in and around the cage. For example when you have to replace the belts, or pull the seat, or get under the dash.

Weld them if you want, but I can't find a single benefit to doing so.

One clarification, you aren't required to remove the glass. The window just has to be open. If you leave the glass in you need to have some kind of door skin in place to contain the glass if you get hit in the door. Our doors are fully stock with the glass installed because the car lives outside and we need to keep the water out.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

WHEN, not if, when you drop something behind the seat you'll really wish you could open the door to reach through the side of the cage.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

I havent installed the cage yet so I had no idea.  Thank you all for the quick responses.  It would be notably difficult to weld the doors shut on my camerobird so I will avoid that.

In this topic:

All else equal, would you rather build a coupe or a sedan?

... which I started, several commentators mentioned cutting down the height of the door's window sill to make egress easier.

Good luck with your build.

dhharmuth wrote:

I havent installed the cage yet so I had no idea.  Thank you all for the quick responses.  It would be notably difficult to weld the doors shut on my camerobird so I will avoid that.

If you are doing anything later then a second gen I beg you not to weld doors closed.  I cannot see anything but a 14 year old gymnast getting out of a 4th gen in reasonable time for tech...it would actively have to be on fire.

dhharmuth wrote:

I had an odd question and could not find an answer in the forums.  I guess this is a newbie question but really its a tech question.  Since you have to have door braces, it makes using the door to get in and out this side of useless for a low car.  And since you have to remove the glass in the windows, why not weld the doors shut for added protection and rigidity?  Doors that entrap you are forboden in the rules but I wanted to ask if anyone has done this and if it would pass tech today.

our car has nothing but door skins. We balled up our 1st car, the doors were welded. While we gutted these doors as well, I think we will hing them or at least make it possible to remove them. It makes working on the car and getting in and out much easier.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"