Topic: Route Sixty Sic

Inside of a month!?!?
Lemonites....any info, tips, banter on Route 66 Lemons Rally?
Where is start at?
When is start time?
Who is entered?
Toss us a bone and/or put a carrot in front of an Oatman Donkey!!

Re: Route Sixty Sic

hopefully we'll hear something soon....but I'm acting as if it's happening, and I need to be in Chicago the first morning, and have paid up already.

Tip from someone who went last time: Have fun! drive the old highway everywhere you can, it takes some work, but it feels right to do it.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

3 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-09-29 12:54 AM)

Ge the "Route 66 Navigation App"
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/route-66- … 1271779151

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … p;hl=en_US

Keeps you on route, re-routes you back to the route, you can pre-download it to run when you can't get service.  Worth the money, wish I had found it before New Mexico, because the GPS I pre-programmed was a cantankerous jerk.

Definitely plan to drive the old dirt road alignment at the New Mexico boarder with Texas! SO COOL! and otherwise you'll just be on I-40 for too long. (any is too long by the way, but sometimes it's your only choice.)

https://i.imgur.com/7pru0oO.jpg

edit:
Oh, and it will be colder and get dark sooner than you think (That why I really wanted to do it again in June but well 2020.....)

And There's a Phillips 66 station just across the street from the Rock Cafe in Stroud, OK that has No Ethanol Gasoline and Awesome Gas station Chimichangas. 115 W Main St, Stroud, OK 74079
P8XW+P3 Stroud, Oklahoma
https://i.imgur.com/oUGco3M.jpg

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

It's happening, as far as we can tell a month out. Deets coming this week. Route book is mostly done and a little different from rallies past. Still working on a starting location, which might end up being "The House Where Eric Lives Right Now" since I'm only about 2-3 miles from 66. In any case, the start will likely be somewhere in the Chicago suburbs between Berwyn and Joliet on 66. Expect early registration, around 7 am on 10/26.

Also, "No Ethanol Gas" is absolutely a thing in Oklahoma.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

yay!

Looking forward to it! It'll be my first. I plan on heading to the start line from Southern AZ. What could go wrong???

Thank You for all the great info and tips.

Starting the trek east from Northern California. Heading to Chicago Oct 21. Looking forward to another amazing Lemons Rally!

Derek499 wrote:

Looking forward to it! It'll be my first. I plan on heading to the start line from Southern AZ. What could go wrong???

where in southern AZ? I'm in Sierra Vista, which is pretty southern....east...

squirrel wrote:
Derek499 wrote:

where in southern AZ? I'm in Sierra Vista, which is pretty southern....east...

I love the Sierra Vista/ Bisbee area! Lots of fantastic car spotting down there. I’m in Scottsdale and I’ll be pushing my pile to Flagstaff to pick up my teammate before heading East. What are you bringing this year?

If it all works out, I'll bring the Wedge. It's a one off car home built 40+ years ago, on an early LeMans chassis, with a Buick 215 engine. It's all wore out, too. I'd like to take a trip up to Minnesota before heading over to Chicago, though.

squirrel wrote:

If it all works out, I'll bring the Wedge. It's a one off car home built 40+ years ago, on an early LeMans chassis, with a Buick 215 engine. It's all wore out, too. I'd like to take a trip up to Minnesota before heading over to Chicago, though.

That sounds incredible. I'll cross my fingers for you and I hope I get to see it soon.

As usual, Squirrel has a leg up on everyone before the rally even starts.

https://bangshift.com/general-news/proj … -it-again/

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

13 (edited by squirrel 2020-10-04 01:50 PM)

Or a leg down....I took it on it's first sort of long test drive Friday (close to 200 miles), and I made it home. Goes through oil pretty fast. Gets warm, or I should say hot, when it's hot out. Started to run rough near the end of the trip, mostly just when accelerating, And had one episode of fuel starvation. But on a positive note, it'll do 75-80 mph (2.53 gearing), it handles ok, gets over 20 mpg, cruise control works, gauges work, and everyone took a picture of it.

14 (edited by Germaniac 2020-10-11 07:35 PM)

Part of the Tragic School Bus 2018 crew is back for this go around (the idiots in the black bus)!  We'll be heading west before the start from the DC MidAtlantic area if anyone is on the way.

I'm not suggesting a stop or point based activity but "Pick up Eric's Ass From His House So We Can Start This Shit!!!" would be a good 50 pointer.  Kind of like a dysfunctional Where's Waldo

Derek499 wrote:

@Derek499 I'm coming from Mesa. Planning to leave on the 22nd. Let me know if you are interested in convoying out.
I'm bringing my 968 (I know, not very Lemony). I did last years Hell on Wheels rally. No serious problems all rally but the moment I drop my friend off at his apartment a lifted truck backs into me and rolls over the top.

P.S. Is anyone bringing a CB? I am considering buying one but not if no one else will have one.

por4ever wrote:
Derek499 wrote:

@Derek499 I'm coming from Mesa. Planning to leave on the 22nd. Let me know if you are interested in convoying out.
I'm bringing my 968 (I know, not very Lemony). I did last years Hell on Wheels rally. No serious problems all rally but the moment I drop my friend off at his apartment a lifted truck backs into me and rolls over the top.

P.S. Is anyone bringing a CB? I am considering buying one but not if no one else will have one.

We will be monitoring channel 2 on the CB. Limited range. We are not "Tree Top Tall and Wall to Wall".
Passing through AZ on the way to Launch.
Hoping to visit Williams to do the train out to the Grand Canyon....time permitting.
Our old VW Bus has a limited cruzing speed so rolling with a 968 would be frustrating to the lead car. A classic tortoise and hare scenario.

Safe travels to all!

I have taken that train. It's a very nice day trip. If you have never been to the Grand Canyon it's pretty amazing and I am not an outdoors type at all.

I think a bus would be the perfect vehicle for this trip especially. My co-driver has a '67 (I think).