Topic: Will a truck suspension survive corners?

Just started my Lemons build, and got a really nice deal on a company truck, an  2004 f150 heritage.

We got a great deal on this truck, and I'm looking to race it at Lemons in a few years.

My friend is worried that the truck suspension won't survive cornering, because "A truck doesn't have suspension to deal with the load of itself through a corner"

However, I don't see this as an issue imo, at least not after the truck is stripped down to the bare minimum and what we need for Lemons safety.

Will lowering it hurt the suspension on turns?

Would it be even possible for the truck suspension  to survive?

What are budget-friendly options if I do need to replace the suspension.

I don't see it as much of a problem, but wanted to get some "proffesional's" opinions on the matter.

Re: Will a truck suspension survive corners?

Friend is making no sense so ignore that.  Will it handle "well" maybe not.  Will you still have a ton of fun, yep!

We raced a 1947 Plymouth that was all stock except a disc brake upgrade and had a blast.  The suspension was worlds more archaic than a 2004 Ford.

So I will give my newbie build speil:

Make it pass tech
Make it reliable
Make it brake
Make it corner
Maybe, just maybe, make it fast

Do things in that order and your weekend at the race will go much better.

Realize a cage in a body-on-frame vehicle has a few quirks and make sure if you cannot be 100% sure you understand them, ask questions even if you are having pro shop install a cage.  "How not to Fail Tech" is your best resource but it does not cover the outriggers you will likely need for at least two locations, and likely four, on your cage.

Did a quick google and this truck does not have the bulletproof "Big 6" so find out from forums what fails on your engine and preemptively fix it.  It has rear drums as far as I can tell which is OK but reuild them completely and save all the old parts as spares.  If it is an auto trans, cool the every living crap out of the fluid.

Got it reliable yet?  Will it pass tech?  If so, yes lowering the suspension with common practices will have benefits but your steering will need (likely) modifications if you go more than lets say 2".  Not hard or expensive, but you need to know how to do it.

New builds take 5X the money you plan and 10X the time you think so pick your battles.

Do not remove the bed.

There has been a lot of discussion about that.

The bed provides some crumple zone in a rear impact and is part of the o.e.m. crumple zone

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

An F150 suspension is probably 50 times stronger than any early 90s economy car.  The suspension will survive no problem

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

NOPANTSDOUGIE wrote:

An F150 suspension is probably 50 times stronger than any early 90s economy car.  The suspension will survive no problem

It may not be optimal for race track duty (he said duty) but the suspension is plenty strong.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

I have seen a road-race Lightning (in John's shop, not on the track), and my Lightning goes around corners just fine, thank you.  A Lightning is based on a Heritage.  Clearly you need to swap Lightning brakes and suspension (and rear axle, I'd imagine) under your truck. Clearly.

Grab the motor while you are at it.

fiftyeight wrote:

Just started my Lemons build, and got a really nice deal on a company truck, an  2004 f150 heritage.

We got a great deal on this truck, and I'm looking to race it at Lemons in a few years.

My friend is worried that the truck suspension won't survive cornering, because "A truck doesn't have suspension to deal with the load of itself through a corner"

However, I don't see this as an issue imo, at least not after the truck is stripped down to the bare minimum and what we need for Lemons safety.

Will lowering it hurt the suspension on turns?

Would it be even possible for the truck suspension  to survive?

What are budget-friendly options if I do need to replace the suspension.

I don't see it as much of a problem, but wanted to get some "proffesional's" opinions on the matter.

You can make anything handle it depend on your wallet. I'm sure you can find a good set of Moog springs that will work, you can cut them if need be. Also get a good set of shocks, not ebay $19 specials. You are going to want some camber too. You'd probably like to get some weight into the bed as well, so I'd look at moving the battery back there and if you go with a fuel cell, that too. Brakes help more than you know, so don't skimp and if you can upgrade to a 3/4 ton HD system do it. Tires make a huge difference, buy a good set of performance tires and get them as fat as you can. Depending on mileage, you might consider rebuilding the front end.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"