1 (edited by bobnowoc 2020-12-05 07:44 AM)

Topic: O.E.M. windshield or Lexan

Our team is talking about removing the OEM windshield and replacing it with lexan. The OEM windshield does have a rock chip down by the dash, but I don't think it obstructs my vision at all. Why should we do this? Why should we not?

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Re: O.E.M. windshield or Lexan

Windshield wipers.  They scratch the hell out of lexan.  OEM style windshields are cheap.  Only time I'd consider Lexan is if the stock windshield frame has been altered/damaged to the point that a stock one can't be fitted.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Firstly, do not consider lexan without scratch resistant coating, regular stuff will scratch with the slightest brush of a butterfly wing. We have great luck with mar guard protected lexan, wipers do no damage 20+ races

Pros:
Loose weight
Forgot hood pins and flipped hood up? No problem!
Fits even after modifying roof

Cons:
Cost as much or more then glass
Needs bracing

Notes

If using rivets to install, you must go a drill size larger in the plastic to keep from cracking, use aluminum shank as to not pull too tight
Watch paint over spray, it aint easy to remove.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

shouldn't even be a question. Stock windshield, even one with chips, whenever even just remotely possible. To do anything else is just to make due because stock windshield is not possible

I am considering switching to Lexan as this will be the third windshield we've had to replace,  Our last race put 3 major cracks in our windshield,  All due to other cars off track excursions spreading pea stones all over the track which are constantly thrown skyward by sticky tires.  It's not just the windshield cost, it's also the cost and install time of our defroster element.  What thickness Lexan are you guys using?

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

squidrope wrote:

What thickness Lexan are you guys using?

We used 1/4" in the Kim Jong Elantra. The rules specify 1/4" when using it as a firewall but makes no recommendation on thickness for a windscreen. So, I asked The Evil One; he said 1/4".

BTW, we considered using LExan on our second build to save weight. But the KJE windshield is pretty scratched up; so, we decided to stay with the stock windscreen in The John Playa Special. I'm glad we did.

--bb

The windshield in our Corvette was cracked and smashed in about 6 places, so I KNEW it was not going to be legal to use. 

Because its a Corvette it was actually CHEAPER to go for a Lexan windshield from 5 star then it was to get a glass one and have it installed.

A few braces made from hardware store steel strips and some tabs made from scrap metal we had around the shop took care of keeping things safe.  I used the factory frame to trap the lexan in place and Zexel silicone to seal things up.  It takes some time, but was not that hard to do.

As others have said, make sure its coated so your wiper blades don't ruin it!

The main reason I did lexan was it saved me a few bucks and I could do it myself in our own shop (pretty rural...not a lot of glass trucks in the area!)

But yes indeed it DOES save a chunk of weight out of the car...but...with a crown vic is 40ish pounds really worth the effort??  Your call.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:

it DOES save a chunk of weight out of the car...but...with a crown vic is 40ish pounds really worth the effort??  Your call.

Couldn't agree more with Tiptoe and Spank.  Is the return on investment greater than your cost+effort input?  But hey, everyone's calculations will come out differently based on priorities (free time, spare cash available, odds of ever making the podium, COVID lockdown boredom, alternative upgrades available, etc.).

Looking forward to seeing the Cosmo Crown Vic again at Barber.

9 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-12-07 09:46 PM)

[edit again]

I have two large sheets [5'x10'; yes, _feet_] of Makrolon[TM] polycarbonate to play with. I'll try clearcoat on it at some point to see what happens.

Apparently polycarbonate can be cut in a shear - I didn't know that.

Just to add: I've bought brand new windshields for a C4 corvette and Gen2 prius for $100 carried out the door in hand. On the corvette, some 3m window weld in a caulking gun did the job, in the prius it was just some double sticky tape that I thought I'd be able to undo and perform a little more work after removing it a second time... nope. Stuck permanently.

Granted, these were not OEM windshields and in the case of the prius, it took one of the sales people to dig a little and notice that the 2006 glass was cheaper than the 08 glass because it didn't have some sound deadening feature but was the exact same dimensions. What prompted them to dig was that she said most of the aftermarket "chinese windshields" average about $100 each.

This taught me that much of the cost of windshield replacement was the install and the trim moulding that they have to also replace when doing nicey nice passenger vehicles.

I also watched a professional remove a windshield from a junk car using what looked like a flexible putty knife mounted to harbor freight sawzall in one hand and a spray bottle of soapy water in the other. He had like 4-5 wooden drywall shims as well. Took him less than 2 minutes to have the old windshield out ready to be reused in another car.

Milwaukee has a windshield-specific tool; I believe with a different speed/stroke than a Sawzall; the blades are readily available to order.

12 (edited by bobnowoc 2020-12-08 02:23 PM)

The existing windshield is fine.  A few chips from the tow vehicle throwing rocks up at it. But not anywhere near to fail Tech. We were just looking at this as a possible upgrade.

If your existing windshield was fine, would you do this?

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

bobnowoc wrote:

No. Never. The weight of the glass is not what is keeping you from dominating, and I feel safer behind a real windshield than I do lexan.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Having done one windshield removal and install myself [though with a supplied-to-me good, clean replacement] on a nicey nice daily driver: Oh, hell no.

Not until it wouldn't pass tech, Lexan or not.

bobnowoc wrote:

The existing windshield is fine.  A few chips from the tow vehicle throwing rocks up at it. But not anywhere near to fail Tech. We were just looking at this as a possible upgrade.

I broke my windshield on my hooptie, I replaced it with glass.  I would only go lexan if I absolutely couldn't find a new or used windshield.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

rb92673 wrote:
bobnowoc wrote:

I broke my windshield on my hooptie, I replaced it with glass.  I would only go lexan if I absolutely couldn't find a new or used windshield.

/agree

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

chaase wrote:
rb92673 wrote:
bobnowoc wrote:

/agree

So you now have 2 paths you can take:

Stock windshield glass or polycarbonate

Glad we could all clear that up for you.

Spank wrote:

[

So you now have 2 paths you can take:

Stock windshield glass or polycarbonate

Glad we could all clear that up for you.

3 paths,actually....
You could just leave it well enough alone and waste your money on something else.....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Have you considered one of those repair kits that injects plastic into the chip?

bobnowoc wrote:

You're kidding, right Bob?

Our list of stuff to do to the car is always about a page long in fine print. We try to avoid adding projects when possible.  If my Powerball ticket hits then I'll retire and we'll do Lexan windshields and real-racer stuff like that...in the meantime I have too many hobbies and not enough free time as it is.

No I'm not kidding. The team captain, and our head mechanic, are talking about it. I handle all the paperwork, packing, team organization and the pit. all nit picky stuff, and none of the race build so I really don't have a vote. Also I don't have enough experience in auto repair or race car building in order to have an opinion.

I wanted to see what you Old-Timers thought

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Follow-up question, We don't want the lexan to get scratched, so we're thinking about a windshield wiper delete and just using Rain-X. How good is Rain-X? I've never driven a car that didn't have windshield wipers

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

23 (edited by Lemon_Newton-Metre 2020-12-08 10:56 PM)

My experience:
Properly applied to stock windshield, it works really well when at speed, but does help visibility in rain regardless.
Water beads up nicely.
At 50mph, everything rolls up off the windshield, and it's a clear view.
When it's dry, there's a haze, which can be annoying.

Summer thunderstorm on the PA TPK in the Allegheny hills, rain in sheets, only two vehicles moving for 6 miles - me, with freshly applied Rain-X on all windows, and one tractor trailer. I could see his windshield was clear also, in my rear view mirror.
It was like being in an aquarium with the water on the other side of the glass.

bobnowoc wrote:

Follow-up question, We don't want the lexan to get scratched, so we're thinking about a windshield wiper delete and just using Rain-X. How good is Rain-X? I've never driven a car that didn't have windshield wipers

How well does Rain-X work for dirt and mud thrown up onto the windshield from other cars?  Not well at all in my experience.

Windshield wipers work well.

Hey, sometimes you just have to learn from doing.  Go for it and report back your findings.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

I've been to dozens of Lemons races and seen most cars up close. Here's what I'll tell you about windshields:

(1) A windshield's weight has never been the difference between winning and losing.
(2) A good, stock windshield requires considerably less effort to make work than Lexan. Wipers work with them without coating, you don't have to bend the Lexan, etc.
(3) Almost categorically, a home-installed Lexan windshield exists only because the team can't find an OEM replacement or an OEM replacement is prohibitively expensive.
(3B) A solid half of Lexan windshields are installed during race weekends. About 90 percent of dirt-track-mesh windscreens are installed during race weekends.
(3C) Hood pin mounts only work when the kotter pins are placed in them.
(3D) A stock hood latch is a great backup for when your absent-minded teammate waves you out of the paddock with his right hand while his left hand is holding the kotter pins.

TL;DR - Lexan windshields should be considered a last resort for Lemons duty.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com