Topic: New guy deciding if I can participate

I have a group of friends that would like to start a team for a rally in 2021. If we showed  up with a slightly more reliable car than most (not really super mechanically gifted) would we be welcomed? I get most of the fun for others is keeping a crappy car running. I know we wouldn't get points due to the condition of our car vs a team that had to get creative with repairs, but I think we'd have a blast with the themed idea we have and hitting up as many points of interest as possible in the day. Not really interested in winning as much as a fun guys thing to do for several days.

Re: New guy deciding if I can participate

All are welcome.....
Doesnt matter if you drive a clapped-out hooptie,or a brand new Lambo....
Just show up with a good attitude and have fun...

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Sure, there are lots of folks doing that. Also consider that there are quite a few non-mechanically gifted folks driving really crappy cars and making it to the end. Other people on the Rally will help you when you need help.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

Yea bring what you like, Doing the thing is what's fun, "winning" is just something that ends up happening to someone else.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Can't see why it wouldn't. Unless it's a Honda Bike, Rally can't have Motorcycles.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Guildenstern wrote:

Can't see why it wouldn't. Unless it's a Honda Bike, Rally can't have Motorcycles.

That guy on the little dirt bike (what was it, a DRz400?) spoiled it for the rest of us. Yeah, bad idea running Death Valley on that. My Guzzi California 1100 yawns at 500 mile days, but I’ll never get to run this event, sadly...

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

If it yawns at 500 miles a day, then it's probably not much of a LeMon....italian or otherwise  smile

I think it's a good thing we got that out of the way with the first Rally.

I Survived Hell on Wheels, Car Weeeak, Route Sucky Suck, etc.

8 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-12-08 02:22 PM)

Type44 wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

That guy on the little dirt bike (what was it, a DRz400?) spoiled it for the rest of us. Yeah, bad idea running Death Valley on that. My Guzzi California 1100 yawns at 500 mile days, but I’ll never get to run this event, sadly...

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL It IS public roads, and for some reason they post the WHOLE rally book on Instagram for FREE (Speaking of that needs to be talked about before I hand over another $500).......I mean.........So you don't get the possibility of a chance at a Trophy? I mean nobody is going to kick you out of the Bar/Restaurant that didn't have any fore warning or group deal.

Yea hey why IS it $500?

Because stickers, patches, and trophies cost real money.

They got patches now?

Type44 wrote:
Guildenstern wrote:

Oh, no, it was much dumber than that. It was a Yamaha TW200.

Fourteen time loser. You'd think I'd know better by now.

Hello!

Like @darthdennis, also a newbie with a few questions that weren't covered in the (very sparse) rules!

1) Any restrictions to team size? If we had a whole bus full of people (20-30), can we just call it a team?

2) We're looking at November's Hell on Wheels, and there's mention of "lodging" TBA. Are teams required to stay in said lodging or are we free to make other nearby arrangements?

3) Are sponsorships allowed? We may have the opportunity to slap a few banners on our vehicle representing local businesses etc. for a sponsorship fee to offset our expenses. Do the judges care?

Thank you in advance for any and all with answers!

abusajidah wrote:

1) Any restrictions to team size? If we had a whole bus full of people (20-30), can we just call it a team?

No restrictions. My guess is that if you show up with 20-30 people in one vehicle and manage to keep most of them for the duration, you're likely in line for a trophy.

abusajidah wrote:

2) We're looking at November's Hell on Wheels, and there's mention of "lodging" TBA. Are teams required to stay in said lodging or are we free to make other nearby arrangements?

Feel free to make any, or no, arrangements. There's no obligation to stay at any particular lodging. Some of us may have been known to sleep in our vehicles at and/or near the "official" lodgings...

abusajidah wrote:

3) Are sponsorships allowed? We may have the opportunity to slap a few banners on our vehicle representing local businesses etc. for a sponsorship fee to offset our expenses. Do the judges care?

I can't imagine the judges would care, aside from expressing concern over the judgment of any entity willing to publicly provide sponsorship. Or privately, for that matter.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

Thank you so much, @mharrell

This is great news!