Topic: Foreign imports for Lemons races

So I'm thinking about trying to find an old junker in the UK to bring over for Lemons.

However, In the rules it says "vehicles legal for US highway use at the time of their manufacture"

Does that exclude any vehicle that was never sold in US or non-US spec versions from racing in Lemons?

Also, if this is legal for Lemons and you have any ideas on some interesting cars i should look for let me know!

Re: Foreign imports for Lemons races

You could probably find one in the US and save money. That said learning how to drive on  the wrong side of the car might be a challenge.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

How hard could it be? I've been on the wrong side of the racetrack for years

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Well i live in the UK currently so I have a few years experience driving on the right (normal driving not racing). Though I've never had a RHD with a manual so shifting with my left would probably be odd.

As far as shipping cost, long story short... it should be "free" for me. So i was thinking maybe i could find something odd that would not be "worth" importing normally, but could still be a cool Lemons car.

niik wrote:

Does that exclude any vehicle that was never sold in US or non-US spec versions from racing in Lemons?

Yes, but Lemons HQ is generous about granting waivers for such vehicles. We raced a British-spec MG Metro 1300, much to their delight.

Look carefully into US law about importing something, though. If it's over 25 years old, no problem. Younger than that and it must either be brought into full US compliance for road use, or declared in writing to be a "race car" by the manufacturer, or brought in on a temporary basis, which means either complying with various rules about shipping it back out of the country within a certain period or having it destroyed in a documented manner. You'll need to satisfy the NHTSA and the EPA in advance in order to get it properly through Customs.

Everything is so much simpler if the car is more than 25 years old, so the obvious solution is to find a Triumph Acclaim.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

There is really only ONE SATISFACTORY RESPONSE

I know where there's a nice Rover 2000TC that you could take back home with you.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

mharrell wrote:

Look carefully into US law about importing something, though. If it's over 25 years old, no problem. Younger than that and it must either be brought into full US compliance for road use, or declared in writing to be a "race car" by the manufacturer

Ya I was expecting to go with something over 25 years old. I looked at the "race car" import, since that is literally what its for, but it seemed to only grant one year of import then required export or destruction.

cheseroo wrote:

I know where there's a nice Rover 2000TC that you could take back home with you.

Like actually "nice" or a nice choice for Lemons because its a nugget?

niik wrote:
cheseroo wrote:

Like actually "nice" or a nice choice for Lemons because its a nugget?

If I may intercede...

"Nice" as in "I want this thing off my trailer and out of my life"

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bar … 24496.html

You really need to look into the requirements for importing.  The way I understand it, is the car needs to be at least 25 years old and as it was when the factory made it.  I have heard lots of horror stories of cars getting held up in customs because they were not original. 

Anything you would want to import, I am sure you can find already imported at a fraction of the difficulty and expense of importing.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

25 AND as factory! Does rust count?

But seriously, i'll try calling the importer/exporter and get some details from them to help me decide.

I haven't committed to anything but since the car I planned on shipping just got rear ended and is probably totalled I figured I could use the spot on the boat for something else instead of letting it go to waste

Were you going to cage it (etc.) in the UK, or when it arrives in the states?

niik wrote:

Well i live in the UK currently so I have a few years experience driving on the right (normal driving not racing). Though I've never had a RHD with a manual so shifting with my left would probably be odd.

As far as shipping cost, long story short... it should be "free" for me. So i was thinking maybe i could find something odd that would not be "worth" importing normally, but could still be a cool Lemons car.

I grew up in NZ driving RHD, my first manual LHD experience was in a Lemons race, it really wasn't a big deal, I had been driving in the US for a few years at this point just not manuals.
It is fun to tell people that the clutch and brake are swapped for RHD and watch their heads explode.

Apocalyptic Racing - Occupy Pit Lane racing
Racing the "Toylet" Toyota Celica powered by Chevrolet Ecotec.
24x Loser with the Celica. 16x loser in other fine machines
Overall winner Gingerman 2019

Just email HQ and ask.  I bet they'll allow it. 

I raced a car this summer made in China by a company that has never imported any model to the US.

COM ( Chief Operating Moron ) of Burnt Rubber Soul Racing
Current fleet: 95 Ford Probe, 81 Mazda 626.  Past: 81 Imperial
Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/burntrubbersoulracing

The front-engined diesel Porsche is a grey-market car. I double-checked with HQ before the first race and it was fine.

That guy

Brett85p wrote:
niik wrote:

I grew up in NZ driving RHD, my first manual LHD experience was in a Lemons race, it really wasn't a big deal, I had been driving in the US for a few years at this point just not manuals.
It is fun to tell people that the clutch and brake are swapped for RHD and watch their heads explode.

My first RHD was in a Lemons race.  It wasn't hard to adapt either.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm going to get some advice from an import professional. If I do decide to try importing something I'll email HQ to ask if the car could be waved and allowed to race.