Topic: Suspension 1997 Firebird

We bought a salvaged 97 firebird from Copart with a 3.8L v6/automatic with 65k miles. It is in great shape and the damage was to the upper hood and fender-no bent frame. . We are able to trade the automatic for a T5 manual.  The handling is very soft.  Trying to stay under our $500 budget-we are definitely upgrading the sway bars.  Regarding the springs and shocks-we want to get the car lower and firm it up-we could cut the springs.  Shocks are in good shape but on the soft side.  In a perfect world, I would install lowering springs and bilstein shocks but then I am over budget.  Any advice?

Re: Suspension 1997 Firebird

Don't know much about those cars in particular but it seems to me you could go GM parts bin shopping cheaply.  I would think OEM V8 springs/shocks/swaybars from one of the factory performance Camerobird options could be had somewhat cheaply.  Same with bigger brakes.  Parts Lego for that think should be relatively easy I'd think.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Will try that route-may be able to find springs from the salvage yard.

Even if its not a SS or Trans Am  the V8 cars have stiffer springs and thicker sway bars to deal with the added weight.  We put the IROC bars on our RS and that alone was a major improvement.  If you can snag the springs out of a Z28 as well that will also help out a bunch.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

5 (edited by OnkelUdo 2020-11-28 04:57 AM)

We are researching increasing spring rates (a lot more than you will be) due to the extra 400#'s of Chrysler flathead drivetrain we put in there.  I have the spec's somewhere on the stock springs and Moog has a spring guide where you can filter things like length, weight, diameter and end type https://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/u … prings.asp.  Start with weight (probably the same as the V8), diameter and then end type.  Odds are you can find one about 1-2" shorted but a heavier spring rate.  Then use the MOOG part number on Rockauto.  On Rockauto your can then find out the application of that spring and look for cheaper or used alternatives.

Stock spec's that matter are: 3.36 ID, 14.88 free, 10 compressed, stock 223#/in with one end "tangential" and one a pigtail.

One thing slightly more important is brakes by the way.  They are totally budget exempt so you could go nuts or you could just rebuild what is there.  FYI, even in the Heartbeat of America, ain't no one stocks the wheel cylinders for the rear drums...either upgrade to the V8 discs or carry at least one spare.

florianscholz wrote:

We bought a salvaged 97 firebird from Copart with a 3.8L v6/automatic with 65k miles. It is in great shape and the damage was to the upper hood and fender-no bent frame. . We are able to trade the automatic for a T5 manual.  The handling is very soft.  Trying to stay under our $500 budget-we are definitely upgrading the sway bars.  Regarding the springs and shocks-we want to get the car lower and firm it up-we could cut the springs.  Shocks are in good shape but on the soft side.  In a perfect world, I would install lowering springs and bilstein shocks but then I am over budget.  Any advice?

call Mogg and order everything for a WS6 car or TransAm. It will all bolt in. You can cut the springs, we did... but be careful the rear trackbar is not adjustable. We run Bilsteins on our 88. They are well worth the $, Stock shocks suck and you will not be able to run the car hard for more than 2 hours on them. $500 is a goal, but not always the limit. Build a safe dependable car and nobody is going to jam up a Gen Iv V6 firebird. FWIW we run a C6 brake kit from Bigbrakeupgrade.com. SUPER good upgrade and doesn't add to your cost. Get the car as light as possible. There is lots of metal you can cut out.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

7 (edited by florianscholz 2020-12-21 05:18 AM)

Thank you for the replies.   We have removed a large amount of weight and the car is sitting higher-removed the entire rear hatch, moved the battery to where the rear seats were located, removed the entire AC system and condenser, removed the front nose clip since it was damaged in the collision and built new nose out of aluminum. Removed power windows and T tops, removed the dash.  Since the car is so much lighter , that changes the needed spring rate-I wonder if we would be better off cutting the existing springs and adding Bilstein shocks?  Also will remove the rubber rear isolater that the coils sit into and use the heater hose mod.   Since the car is so much lighter than a Z28, it might sit to high with z28 coils.  If I lower the rear quite a bit, the track bar could be cut and Re-welded for the right length.  I bought C5 corvette brackets and will put on front z06 brakes.  The rears are already discs.

florianscholz wrote:

Thank you for the replies.   We have removed a large amount of weight and the car is sitting higher-removed the entire rear hatch, moved the battery to where the rear seats were located, removed the entire AC system and condenser, removed the front nose clip since it was damaged in the collision and built new nose out of aluminum. Removed power windows and T tops, removed the dash.  Since the car is so much lighter , that changes the needed spring rate-I wonder if we would be better off cutting the existing springs and adding Bilstein shocks?  Also will remove the rubber rear isolater that the coils sit into and use the heater hose mod.   Since the car is so much lighter than a Z28, it might sit to high with z28 coils.  If I lower the rear quite a bit, the track bar could be cut and Re-welded for the right length.  I bought C5 corvette brackets and will put on front z06 brakes.  The rears are already discs.

You might want to check about that new nose... we run a Gen III but yes the car will jump up 2+" after a diet. We cut out springs, but we did buy new Moogs with a different spring rate than the factory. The rears are 1 to 1 put the front is not. Yes remover the rubber isolators, they are just to keep the car quiet.  Also do not cut the rears too much as that will mess up the geometry. We made new brackets so we could go lower. We also run Bilsteins and they are wonderful. We also went with C5/6 front discs from bigbrakeupgrade.com They are stupid good, we can carry so much speed into the corner it is almost scary.  What exhaust are you going to run? We run 1 5/8 headers w/ 2.5 collectors into a big Y pipe and 3.5 out pipe all exit behind the passenger door.

Don't forget, you'll gain a good bit of weight back once you cage it.  Also, about the weight of the drivetrains, I don't know that a 3800/4L60E would really be any lighter than an LT1/T56.  I'd definitely think either LS1 drivetrain would be lighter.  This is just conjecture, but, I think a 3800/4L60E combo (what your car came equipped for, even if you've switched it out for a T5 now) would be one of the heavier 4th gen drivetrain options.  V8 springs would still likely be stiffer though, just because of the performance. 

On the braking front, so, we upgraded the Buick to the same brakes as a '93-'97 F-body uses.  With a set of Raybestos ST45 brakes up front (and a crappy pair of drums out back), our car had ridiculously good braking.  Easily the best aspect of the car, dynamically.  Believe it or not, the Century is lighter than the Firebird from the factory.  I don't think we've lost anywhere near as much weight as you, but, they're probably in the same ballpark.  Of course, a RWD, 5MT car with +40hp on a FWD, 4AT will carry more speed, but, don't feel like you absolutely have to dump a huge pile of money into brakes for your first race.  That setup with a good pair of cooling ducts (also much easier/more effective on a RWD car) provided fade-free braking for our entire race.  We did use extremely good brake fluid though (Motul RBF 660).  I'm sure we'll want to upgrade our brakes at some point, but, it's very, very low on the list right now.

Semi-Sentient Centenarians
1996 Buick Century - we upgraded our crappy GM sedan with parts from a crappy GM minivan.
"It's got a van motor, a 220 cubic inch plant, it's got van tires, van suspension, van shocks. It's a model with the catalytic converters ripped out so
     it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it a racecar or what?" - Blues Brothers, Probably

Do I need to get Lemons approval for a new nose?  I am not altering the crash structure or shortening the frame.  They did tell me I have to keep the OEM hood which we did.  For the exhaust, may look at some headers and I like the idea of dumping behind the passenger door.  Will look at Bilstein shocks and may look into more info on what to do with the front coils-cut or replace.  Moving the battery back and removing the AC sure has helped the weight distribution.

florianscholz wrote:

Do I need to get Lemons approval for a new nose?  I am not altering the crash structure or shortening the frame.  They did tell me I have to keep the OEM hood which we did.  For the exhaust, may look at some headers and I like the idea of dumping behind the passenger door.  Will look at Bilstein shocks and may look into more info on what to do with the front coils-cut or replace.  Moving the battery back and removing the AC sure has helped the weight distribution.

we put our battery in the rear pass side floor board. The rear Bilsteins aren't to bad the front struts are a few $$$ but worth it. Just make it safe and dependable for your 1st race, then work on making it faster.

4th gen brake upgrades

http://kore3.com/

Silent But Deadly Racing-  Ricky Bobby's Laughing Clown Malt Liquor Thunderbird , Datsun 510, 87 Mustang (The Race Team Formerly Known as Prince), 72 Pinto Squire waggy, Parnelli Jones 67 Galaxie, Turbo Coupe Surf wagon.(The Surfin Bird), Squatting Dogs In Tracksuits,  Space Pants!  Roy Fuckin Kent and The tribute to a tribute to a tribute THUNDERBIRD/ SUNDAHBADOH!