Topic: EGR delete?

Seems like many teams do this on their race cars, but I'm not convinced (and I'm no expert..)
From my understanding, the valve is closed anyways when the car is cold, idling, or WOT (wide open throttle)
Pluses:
- More horsepower (not sure it makes sense, since at partial throttle, if you want more power, well, press on the gas pedal?).  And seems the increase in power is negligible (0-4 HP?
(- Looks don't count)
- Less carbon build up in intake (maybe, I guess, if you have that problem...)

Minuses:
- more work, money
- Combustion chamber will be hotter
(- ok, pollution concerns don't count in racing, regarding the oxides of nitrogen stuff into atmosphere
- May cause more pinging, knocking, marbles, preignition, ...badness for engine

Seems like more minuses, or potential minuses, than plusses

But maybe it also depends on the type of engine you have?  I have a 1987 Honda Prelude, fuel injected...

And speaking of which, how does adding a turbo factor into the equation....

I have these plans/dreams of installing a baby ebay turbo to bring up the level of awesomeness to the 3PM Civic Giraffe/Godzilla/Fist/Etc
But I suppose I should first put the engine back into the car....I have a bad habit of starting a second project before finishing the first....

Happy New Year!
mz

MarioKart Driving School: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #28) 
Loudon, NH 2014 - Millville, NJ, Lightening 2019 (RIP)
New and improved: 1987 Honda Prelude Si (Opus #11) Pittsburgh, PA 2021 - ??
and finally won something, Class C Win: Loudon, NH 2022

Re: EGR delete?

For racing, delete. The other thing you have to consider is the failure modes. If the valve fails open, then you get exhaust gas in the combustion chamber all the time. Also, potential vacuum leak or exhaust leak source.

All of the potential positives of retaining EGR are negligible during racing and some can be attenuated with timing adjustments.

3 (edited by Team Infinniti 2021-01-02 07:50 PM)

Removing the egr makes exhaust/intake manifold removal quicker & easier on many cars and prevents any unwanted exhaust or vacuum leaks when the system or plumbing fails... Not entirely sure, but a turbo may annoy a system made for no boost.

Why are you fighting to keep this system? On track it is barely going to see a situation where it would help.

Homestead Chump 5th-Sebring 6th-PBIR Lemons 9th - Charlotte Chump  CrashnBurn 9th
Sebring 6th again -NOLA Chump 1st -PBIR Chump Trans Fail 16th
Daytona 11th - Sebring 6th - Atlanta Motor Speedway 2nd - Road Atlanta Trans Fail 61st-Road Atlanta 5th
Daytona 13th - Charlotte 9th - Sebring 2nd-Charlotte 25th broken brakes - Road Atlanta 14 10th-Daytona 14  58th- Humid TT 19th Judges' Choice!

why on earth would you even consider it? Even for a daily driver I yank all that stuff of.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

I just don't want to do anything stupid, cause problems with the ECU,  waste time and money, I just wanted to make sure there was a reason in case someone asks why I did it....I guess I would just need check/adjust the timing after I remove it...

Although I like the argument that the EGR is one more useless thing that can malfunction and cause problems

Anyways, just wondering what people are doing....

Looks like I would need to find a specific size plug for the exhaust side and make some plates that would cover the holes on the intake....

MZAVARIN wrote:

I just don't want to do anything stupid, cause problems with the ECU,  waste time and money, I just wanted to make sure there was a reason in case someone asks why I did it....I guess I would just need check/adjust the timing after I remove it...

Although I like the argument that the EGR is one more useless thing that can malfunction and cause problems

Anyways, just wondering what people are doing....

Looks like I would need to find a specific size plug for the exhaust side and make some plates that would cover the holes on the intake....

what year make and model? I had t make a plate for an 88 Ram Charger. I dumped the converter and smog pump to. If it is newer you will need to cap the lines to each exhaust mani. The RC had one large line to the Y-pipe. The check engine light will come on and that's about it.

1987 Honda Prelude fuel injected
pipe bolts onto exhaust manifold, so I would need to find a plug with the correct size, thread

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/parts-lis … ifold.html

And EGR is in a awkward place, and looks like I would need 2 plates, after unbolting it, and taping the wires, plugging the vacuum hoses

MZAVARIN wrote:

1987 Honda Prelude fuel injected
pipe bolts onto exhaust manifold, so I would need to find a plug with the correct size, thread

And EGR is in a awkward place, and looks like I would need 2 plates, after unbolting it, and taping the wires, plugging the vacuum hoses

that's what you get with a FWD car...lol Good luck!