1 (edited by kirstindarby 2020-12-08 06:29 PM)

Topic: Drip Pans and Gas Cans?

Mundane questions, but does anyone have any tips on where to get a drip pan and Lemons approved 5 gallon gas cans?  I saw a metal drip pan at Advance but it has a really small lip--not sure it would catch a big spill.  Also, it seems the gas cans needed are not the ordinary kind so I'm wondering if I should order them somewhere.  Thanks for any tips on a boring subject!

Re: Drip Pans and Gas Cans?

For the gas cans,you want Hunsaker...https://hunsakerusa.com/collections/5-gallon-quikfill-jugs
They can be spendy,but with a little luck and perseverance you can find a sale...
Go to the website and sign up for email alerts..

For the drip pan,you want something with a decent enough lip that the spilled fuel will not hit the pavement when you pull it out from under the car..

You shouldn't be spilling much,but its when it hits the asphalt is when you get in trouble....

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

Most people use the VP or Hunsaker style fuel jugs with the flexible hoses.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpr-3512
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ … LfEALw_wcB

You can use any fuel jug you would like, but a race version with flexible hose flows the best.  Store bought jugs take longer and spill everywhere with their EPA friendly spouts.

As far as a drip pan, I use a round oil drain tray.

Team whatever_racecar #745 Volvo wagon

For spill pan(s):  We use the black concrete mixing tubs from Home Depot. If you get a few, they nest together, are good for hauling spare parts to/from race and you can pour extra gas out as they have tall sculpted sides.  They cost about $8 each.  We use VP vinyl hose topped jugs. They suck, but are better than the “spill proof” lawnmower type.
Have fun

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

I like the round pans that go under a water heater.  Home Depot Racing supply.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

The rule book states dot, scca, or fia approved jugs. I failed to find anywhere that said those racing jugs we normally use are fia or scca approved so we bought about 5 total garbage Dot approved lawnmower style ones just in case. Never took them out of the box and used our vp jugs. Get the ones with the giant vent hose so you can dump the fuel really fast.

johnjamesmiller wrote:

The rule book states dot, scca, or fia approved jugs. I failed to find anywhere that said those racing jugs we normally use are fia or scca approved so we bought about 5 total garbage Dot approved lawnmower style ones just in case. Never took them out of the box and used our vp jugs. Get the ones with the giant vent hose so you can dump the fuel really fast.

For the most part, no one is checking the certification on your fuel jugs.  If it looks like a well know fuel jug brand, and is the appropriate size, you won't get much scrutiny.  Lemons officials will object to oversized fuel jugs, or any fueling method that isn't just gravity fed from a 5 gallon jug.

Apparently my name is really "Craigers".  Who knew?
We might be yellow, but at least we are slow
I'm a WINNER!

Sometimes it helps to understand the background.  The rules used to not say anything about fuel jugs.  Can't recall if a team actually did it or just talked about using a pressurized fuel rig to speed refueling which begat the rule we have now to use handheld fuel jugs.  Basically any 5 gallon fuel jug or Hunsaker type jug like they sell in the Lemons store is acceptable.  They don't want pressurized rigs or ones that can dump a bunch of fuel on the ground in a hurry.  Seems like the state of NJ has separate rules governing fuel jugs.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Outside of NJ if it doesn't look crazy janky and/or isn't crazy leaky they're fine. The SCCA/DOT isn't at all enforced.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

cheseroo wrote:

Sometimes it helps to understand the background.  The rules used to not say anything about fuel jugs.  Can't recall if a team actually did it or just talked about using a pressurized fuel rig to speed refueling which begat the rule we have now to use handheld fuel jugs.  Basically any 5 gallon fuel jug or Hunsaker type jug like they sell in the Lemons store is acceptable.  They don't want pressurized rigs or ones that can dump a bunch of fuel on the ground in a hurry.  Seems like the state of NJ has separate rules governing fuel jugs.

IIRC, a team out west developed a fuel rig many years ago that involved a surplus Suburban 45 gallon tank mounted on an eight or ten foot high platform to develop plenty of pressure for rapid refueling, and hold enough for a full day of racing.  The clear potential for disaster led to the current restriction. As Cheeseroo, Guildenstern, and others said; they don't seem to really care as long as your cans are five gallons and safe. 

We use VP cans with modified vent tubes, and bring all the lawnmower cans we can to reduce the number of refuel runs needed.  The Hunsaker jugs are great, but pricey.  I suggest using VP cans initially, then adding a 1/2 inch vents with tubing inside and out to flow really well after a few races - the flow rate won't make a big difference until you get your pit stop routine sorted out (unless you use the mower cans: they'll take forever).  Check eBay and Amazon for the VP jugs. They're cheaper if you buy a pair or 4 pack.

Over time you tend to forget the way things were back in the day.  I only vaguely remember that fuel rig.   I *think 2021 marks the 10 year anniversary of the passing of the People's Curse.  Things have changed.

Gone bye-bye

If you have a Tractor Supply in your area, the one by me has "fluid" jugs with fill hoses for pretty close to the same price as the online guys charge without a fill hose.

That guy

I begrudgingly bought one of these. It is actually quite stout and will hold 5 gallons.

Eagle 1677 HDPE Containment Utility Tray, 36" Length x 18" Width x 2" Height https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004EVHFLI/re … &psc=1

cheseroo wrote:

Eyesore had a "fueling rig" that suspended a large Hunsaker jug upside down that gravity dumped into the car.

Hunsakers can very efficiently "dump a bunch of fuel on the ground in a hurry."

I strongly dislike HunSUCKERs!

Troy

#35 LRE
1973 Datsun 240Z