Topic: is there a minimum tire requirement for Lemons?

Bad ideas for Lemons..

I have a non engine swapped 94 miata with no chance of winning in A class but more to the point is about as interesting in a Lemons race as an 80's Camaro at a car show. If I swapped out for 4 skinny donut spares would I qualify for a lower class? I could even take the 'don't go above 55' stickers off. I remember a car magazine in the 90's doing testing on a 'vette with the factory spare and it didn't change performance all that much. I'd test the idea in autox first. Hell, our local autox peeps let a lifted miata with big tires participate until it went up on 2 wheels. I also have the 3" Paco lift kit- so would a raised miata on lowering springs get me out of Class A? I'd probably be only 1" above factory ride height but with positive rear camber. Maybe just do the rears so I look like a bitch in heat?

These are the kinds of questions that keep me up at night.

Happy new year!

El Capitan of Team Corky
94 Miata transitioning to BRG because she now identifies as a Lotus previously covered in cork as Mazda/Toyo Kogyo tribute then painted like the Queen's coffin
4 time tire raffle winner. (So I got that goin for me which is nice)

Re: is there a minimum tire requirement for Lemons?

Couple of issues there.

1.  Anything wheel is easily changed between BS and the race a day later.  In 10 minutes your B car becomes an A car.  Unless you weld the temp spares to the hubs.
2.  Any easily reversible change in an attempt to put a car into a lower class won't buy you anything.
3.  A truly epic theme might get you there.  I mean it has to blow people away.  Nick has been dying for a fist car.  Turn that miata into a giant fist.  I mean a VERY good fist and you might even get C if the car is otherwise bone stock.

You have a very uphill climb to get a miata into a lower class.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

[snip]
3.  A truly epic theme might get you there.  I mean it has to blow people away.  Nick has been dying for a fist car.  Turn that miata into a giant fist.  I mean a VERY good fist and you might even get C if the car is otherwise bone stock.

You have a very uphill climb to get a miata into a lower class.

[content deleted for non-compliance with personal standards]

Oh, my!

So fisting is my only way into a lower class in a miata.

El Capitan of Team Corky
94 Miata transitioning to BRG because she now identifies as a Lotus previously covered in cork as Mazda/Toyo Kogyo tribute then painted like the Queen's coffin

Not exactly what he said, but ok.

Do not put 4 donuts on.  Especially 45 mph max donuts.  That is a safety problem

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Also.  You are in a Miata.  You are gonna be class A.  You and BMW are what class A was made for.  Suck it up buttercup, an continue to blow the doors off us true Class B cars.

Also, why not try going larger?
I have a Mucho Macho idea for your next set....

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

Yeah- several of the "true B class cars" lapped much faster than we did and one of my drivers is a former semipro rally driver (so not just my crap driving ability)- hence the problem with the automatic miata A class designation- it might be track specific with the two significant uphills at NHMS. It also might be by miata is just crap...

Whatever- I'm not in it to win it at all anyway.... we fuel at the pump and did short shifts with driver changeover in the garage. I also took a risk and had some contact... This was my first Lemons race, during COVID, and I did get to drink beer and hang out with another team etc so I get the point of it all. I'll do some incremental cheap upgrades and keep smiling all the way.. The miata is the only race car I'm allowed by the Momarchy I live in and so I can't do anything incredibly silly to it and still use it in autox/hillclimb etc. The next thing I was gonna do is maybe "Full body tattoo" with sharpie on the now hideously dirty and unable to be cleaned stick on cork that Judge Phil suggested. Any ideas on tattoo themes?

Mucho Macho needs to make some 15" tires- some of us are not so generously endowed!

El Capitan of Team Corky

I am so sorry to hear about your size problem. I can't relate but I have heard other guys complain about it as well. Also don't ever listen to judge Phil.

That is all.

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

9 (edited by bobnowoc 2021-01-03 12:10 PM)

We have only done one race in the Crown Vic from racing Cosmo. I will tell you that changing drivers and gassing up in the hot pit was freaking awesome. It made us feel like a real race team.

Racing all of the teams at Carolina Motorsports Park was one of the 20 coolest things I've ever done in my life, and I can't wait to see you guys again this year

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

bigamonsta wrote:

[snip]
Mucho Macho needs to make some 15" tires- some of us are not so generously endowed!

There's a fix for that, but it's expensive.

My girlfriend decided she'd rather have granite countertops.

I wouldn't resort to gimmicks that will make your time on track less fun just because you aren't competitive in class. And I agree space savers are a safety risk.

The judges will listen if you present some proof of your team's ability. Do a few races with the default classing, don't worry about if you aren't competitive, and keep a record of your performance each time. If you can then show the judges that you have never even been competitive in the lower class finishes, you may get them to bump you down. Maybe. Depends on the judge and the race and what else is there that weekend, and if you have a good theme that amuses them. But really don't sweat classing. If your goal is having a good weekend racing with friends, it doesn't matter that you aren't competing in A class.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

Want out of class A in a Miata, Iron Duke swap.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport