Topic: Masaratty TC by Chrysler (a terrible car)

Has there ever been a Maserati TC by Chrysler in a Lemons race? I have an old one...wheels are turning. Definitely a 'why u ruin classic' candidate. LOL

Re: Masaratty TC by Chrysler (a terrible car)

I believe there has been at least 1, i'm not up to date on my Lemons records to know exactly what race/year.

There have been plenty of chrysler K-car and siblings. They are all terrible. all of them. Do you enjoy wrenching more than racing? In that case build it.

20+ Time Loser FutilityMotorsport
Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

I live near the Ridge in Washington state so you never know what might transpire. It would be fun, no intention of being competitive, after all it's just a junky K car not a race car. For fun only.

sjoblom wrote:

Has there ever been a Maserati TC by Chrysler in a Lemons race? I have an old one...wheels are turning. Definitely a 'why u ruin classic' candidate. LOL

KINDA...one showed up at Autobahn one year, ran in practice just fine and then blew up on the 2nd lap of the race or something like that.

So...KINDA.

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Tiptoe the rat wrote:
sjoblom wrote:

KINDA...one showed up at Autobahn one year, ran in practice just fine and then blew up on the 2nd lap of the race or something like that.

So...KINDA.

Owners hung out in a pretty nice Rolls Royce up on one the hills watching the rest of the race...he looked just like the Monopoly guy.

You're conflating bad Chryslers.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LIL11/L … -0951.html

- The first Dodge Intrepid blew up after two laps at Autobahn and had the Monopoly guy on the team.

http://www.murileemartin.com/UG/LMIF18/ … G_1106.jpg

- The first TC by Maserati showed up at Gingerman being run by "Turbo Chrysler guys" who knew "how to make it live." That one turned 7 laps.

Obviously, these are very different.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

Actually it'd probably do fine. Not a lot of power, it can be made light. Go for it.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Also: It's perfect for Lemons.

Eric Rood
Everything Bagel, 24 Hours of Lemons
eric@24hoursoflemons.com

I agree, absolutely purrrrfect, maybe done up with a Lee Iacocca / Alajandro DeTomaso theme...they dreamed up this terrible, $40k, joke of a K car. But not to worry, this Chrysler's TC by Masaratty was manufactured (in Italy no less) with the legendary Mitsbishi 3.0L engine of soccer mom Plymouth Voyager mini-van fame assuredly making it a viable Lemons event finisher if driven at a reasonable un-scary speed. It might just be a possibility.

^ Was hoping it was the 16v 2.2

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

throw that 3.0 in the trash. replace with a 2.2/2.5. It's more reliable.

Note I didn't say the 2.2/2.5 is reliable, just that it is MORE reliable.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon
Retired - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby 2011-2015 "Lifetime Award for Lack of Achievement" IOE, 3X I got screwed, Organizer's Choice

So let me get this straight; based solely on the recommendation and opinion of one of many countless, self proclaimed web site experts, I can search the wrecking yards and Craig's List looking for a used, smaller displacement, 4 banger, 16v, turbo charged engine of questionable history and quality, then spend countless hours lying on my back getting all greasy, busting my knuckles installing said engine in the car, all the time wondering exactly what the benefits (if any) of the entire endeavor might be; or I can do nothing, retain the totally functional, perfectly capable, fine running, larger displacement V6 engine that rests in the engine bay at this time. Duh! If it ain't broke don't fix it I always say. LOL

sjoblom wrote:

So let me get this straight; based solely on the recommendation and opinion of one of many countless, self proclaimed web site experts, I can search the wrecking yards and Craig's List looking for a used, smaller displacement, 4 banger, 16v, turbo charged engine of questionable history and quality, then spend countless hours lying on my back getting all greasy, busting my knuckles installing said engine in the car, all the time wondering exactly what the benefits (if any) of the entire endeavor might be; or I can do nothing, retain the totally functional, perfectly capable, fine running, larger displacement V6 engine that rests in the engine bay at this time. Duh! If it ain't broke don't fix it I always say. LOL

Even better you can put a V8 from a caddie or some other FWD V8 car in it. there is no limit, it is all up to your imagination.

sjoblom wrote:

I mean, you could listen to those who have seen or been the people to run the engines you're talking about. That 3.0 is unbelievably tragic. It's one of the least reliable engines to ever run in Lemons. Not a joke.

I have years and years of experience with the 2.2/2.5. It's a shit engine, but it can work in Lemons, and it's better than the 3.0. But hey, you're welcome to learn all this on your own too. Charge forth and embrace the future of wrenching instead of racing.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Whatever. You are not enjoyable at all. Lighten up, IT IS NOT 'REAL' RACING!

TheEngineer wrote:
sjoblom wrote:

I mean, you could listen to those who have seen or been the people to run the engines you're talking about. That 3.0 is unbelievably tragic. It's one of the least reliable engines to ever run in Lemons. Not a joke.

I have years and years of experience with the 2.2/2.5. It's a shit engine, but it can work in Lemons, and it's better than the 3.0. But hey, you're welcome to learn all this on your own too. Charge forth and embrace the future of wrenching instead of racing.

sjoblom wrote:

Welcome to Lemons Forums, where you can all kinds of free advice: some of it is valuable, most of it worth consideration, and some worth exactly what you paid for it.

My advice is to take all of the offered advice into consideration, but it is your team/car/decision so weigh the advice for applicability and do what makes sense for your specific situation. A lot of advice is meant well, but based on the provider's experience and past situations, which may not match yours. I'd say that if your engine is running well, then run it until it blows (or until it appears to be heading that way soon). And maybe keep an eye out in the meantime for a replacement to have on hand.  Run it easy your first race - you'll have fun racing no matter what.  You probably won't do well your first couple of races until you get your car and team "sorted out", so just focus on having fun and learning to race. Figure out what is going to break and what needs improvement on the car. If the engine holds up, push it a little harder each race. If not, then replace it.  Run what you want and have fun!

17 (edited by fleming95 2021-01-21 06:40 PM)

TheEngineer wrote:

If you subtract the # of engines the infamous K ate, does that make the Mitsu 3.0s history just plain 'ole tragic? smile

And to the OP, when driving the K it was actually a pleasant enough car to drive - surprisingly like the Civic I'd driven, but with more torque and everyone giving you a wider berth...

You know in your heart that you could win Class C out of the gate if you keep the 3.0 in it and oiled and watered... go for it!

<edit to the OP>

The two engines that went in the K when I was around were (maybe) oil starvation in the turn onto the straight at T-Hill and the radiator blowing an endcap at Sears (coulda been head gasket then radiator, we'll never know) so proactively solve those two issues and you're golden.

All websites have their bullies. They ruin the fun. Have a wonderful day!

If I ever needed advice about the Chrysler 2.2, The Engineer would absolutely be my go to guy.  Never met him but have watched him from afar heroically try to make the 2.2 last over several years.  Have also watched many 3.0s not make it thru day 1.  The only one I think that actually made it thru a weekend was Spank's $50 LeBaron.  And I think it blew up on its 2nd race.  As long as your okay with the idea that the thing is very unlikely to finish day 1, carry on.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Knowing TheEngineer in person at races for years, he is the very last person I would ever call a bully. 

Do what you want dude.  A TC is going to be loved and terrible and likely to blow up no matter what.  Watching other people make bad decisions (sometimes on purpose) is part of the fun of Lemons.

Chris from 3 Pedal Mafia

cheseroo wrote:

If I ever needed advice about the Chrysler 2.2, The Engineer would absolutely be my go to guy.  Never met him but have watched him from afar heroically try to make the 2.2 last over several years.  Have also watched many 3.0s not make it thru day 1.  The only one I think that actually made it thru a weekend was Spank's $50 LeBaron.  And I think it blew up on its 2nd race.  As long as your okay with the idea that the thing is very unlikely to finish day 1, carry on.

Actually, we have met. I drove your Rx7 at Sonoma a while back. I came out and joined Spank with the debut of the toronado in like 2014 or whatever year that was. Your Rx7 poisoned me. I had never driven a Lemons car that fast before that point and it made me want more speeeeed. Thanks again for letting me have that drive, it was a blast.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

As for me being a bully, think what you want dude, doesn't phase me.

We get new people to the forums all the time. I've tried to do my best to lend learned knowledge when I can, and I can tell you that I have more experience with the 2.2/2.5 than I ever want. I could build one blindfolded at this point. I'm not trying to crap on your dreams or anything, just share the collective wisdom that the 3.0 is a terrible engine, the K-platform and it's siblings are terrible platforms, but if you prep them right they are weirdly fun in a squeeze the most from a tragic car kind of way. From my signature, the many year saga of trying to deal with a chrysler 2.2

Or read this about the k-car that traveled the country and is labeled literally the worst car ever entred into the series.

If you want some terrible video, this was from our best race weekend ever before we retired our Daytona due to the chassis literally rotting away. (the video is horrible, I was using an old Contour action cam that shook badly when mounted on the windshield). We had like no brakes at all this race, but the engine ran the best it ever had in all our years racing the car and I had a freaking blast.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtIX27M-27Q

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon

Well that escalated quickly!
Chris! you brute!
We have all watched you bully everyone else in the paddock for many years now!
It is now your just dessert.........

.........nah........I can't even go any further without laughing until it hurts.

Sorry.....
Manny

Not a FWD guy here, or anything else besides old iron V8's..well maybe /6. BUT what if the 3.0 was well maintained and serviced? What if you ran a remote oil cooler that gave you extra oil capacity?  If that is one of the issues. What if you kept the rpms down and under 4800? That chopped Lebaron  should handle better than some of the wrecks I've seen at races.

you can make any engine last, if you try hard enough and modify enough things. The question is when does it stop being worth it. The answer depends on your personal level of masochism.

Abandoned E36 Build
2008 Saab 9-5Aero Wagon