Topic: First time building a Lemons car and our car has some problems

We have a car, 05 BMW e46 325xi, that we got for $600. The engine is strong, transmission needs a cutch, and the b pillar is crushed from an apart t-bone.

We are working to fix the b pillar this weekend by cutting out a new one from a different car and welding in the new one to our car. Will we be ok to repair the car this way and run the car? There's some damage on the C pillar but we don't think it's causing the door to not close as much as the bent up B pillar is.

https://i.imgur.com/SLyKtUa.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/Rx4lI87.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/OhEhtHY.jpeg

I just want to know that we'll be run in Lemons if we replace the B-pillar so our doors can close.

Re: First time building a Lemons car and our car has some problems

Welcome! you are in for a fun time!

Email pagel@24hoursoflemons.com for official guidance on this. I felt bad about bugging him but as he explained it to me part of his job is to try to make sure everybody that pays an entry fee passes tech and has a safe race. I am very thankful for the direction he gave us!

I have only been to one race but a lot of the cars - including mine - had equal or greater damage then that.

I had dreams of doing a lot of cool things to my car but in the end just getting it passing tech was almost more then I could handle. Highly recommend making a list of things to do AFTER your car is ready to pass tech. that cool racy sheet metal dash is still on that list.

Unless somebody on your team is a professional body repair person I would not mess with putting a new B pillar in. You are more likely to cause harm then good. I would just hit the high spots with a big hammer until the doors close.

Your best option is to contact The Evil Genius aka John Pagel...he is the head of tech inspection/safety.
Send him an email,spell out what you plan to do,and include lotsa pictures.
He is the ultimate authority on safety.Whatever he says,follow his guidance.
DO NOT let anyone else convince you 'they have a better way"....
He can be reached here: pagel@24hoursoflemons.com

45+x Loser.....You'd think I would learn......
5x I.O.E  Winner   1 Heroic Fix Winner   1 Org Choice Winner
2x  I Got Screwed Winner    2x Class C Winner
(Still a Class B driver in a Class A car)

My car had very similar damage to the B pillar. With the passenger seat out, I put a farm jack between the transmission tunnel and B pillar.  I pushed the pillar outward without too much trouble. Used lots of cribbing to protect the transmission tunnel. Alternatively you could put a strap around the pillar and pull it outward with a come along attached to something stout.

Have fun.

Like everyone says, Pagel is the real authority.

Tri-Lamb Motorsports ‘87 528e

5 (edited by bobnowoc 2021-01-22 06:31 AM)

Do not cut unless Pagel himself tells you to.  You are flirting with disaster, considering removing a b pillar and welding one in could be a D.Q.

P.s.  there is more than 1 way to get the door to close

What about cutting obstruction out of the door, rather than the pillar?
Or
Hit B with big hammer?

Or, new door latch mechanism?

Former Captain
1996 Crown Vic. #55
Team Racing Cosmo

pull it as best you can to make the cage fit, skin/gut the doors and weld the rears on. No big deal

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

7 (edited by -SDR- 2021-01-22 09:11 PM)

Mr.Yuck wrote:

pull it as best you can to make the cage fit, skin/gut the doors and weld the rears on. No big deal

Could not have said it better myself.

ADDED: If you can properly install a cage, you can change a b-pillar.  If you can properly dodge a wrench......

2020 I.O.E. CT #36 The Rootes Of All Evil,1958 Sunbeam Rapier Convertible (YES 1958!!) & 2019 Judges Choice NJMP
2016 Thompson Speedway #36 Sabrina Duncan's Revenge, IOE Trophy, 5th Place 'C' Class 1977 Ford Pinto
2009 Stafford Motor Speedway #16 Team Teflon, 11th Place (overall) 1997 Saturn SL2

Mr.Yuck wrote:

/agree

Do not cut anything that is crash structure.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner