Topic: Roll cage outriggers for body-on-frame vehicle

Hello all,
So I emailed with Pagel and he told me I need 2x4x0.25" outriggers welded to the frame, to support the roll cage.  Without bugging him again, does anyone know if this has to be in a vertical configuration, ie with the short sides facing up?  If I mounted it in a horizontal manner it seems it would be weaker but provide a larger surface on which to land the cage ends.
Secondly, does this negate the need for spreader plates (regardless of orientation)?

Re: Roll cage outriggers for body-on-frame vehicle

King 1 wrote:

Without bugging him again...

You should definitely go to Pagel for clarification. Don't worry about "bugging" him about stuff like this, as not only is it his job, but he and all of the other tech inspectors would much rather deal with this ahead of time than be forced to give a team bad news at the track.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

When you do get an answer from Pagel, post it here for future reference.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Yes Pagel is the final say.  Keep in mind, he gave you minimum spec...feel free to exceed it.

In our case, we built 4" x 4" (give or take) tops for our outriggers but the verticle component was the entire depth of the frame...diagonal just ended up whatever it was.  Our 4" x 6" spreaders (again, give or take) overlapped the frame.  I cannot remember if we fully boxed the the outrigger but would be shocked if we did not.  This was for the main hoop connection where the frame was was wide.  The front down bars I do not remember...sorry.

Well I've emailed Pagel again and he said the outriggers can be in any orientation, and no spreader plates are required there.  I also asked about the rear stays, which in my case will pass thru cutouts in the bed and attach directly to frame rails.  He said, "If the frame is over .120 thick it doesn't need spreader plates, but, it's probably a good idea to use them anyway."
So there you have it.  Orientation either way, no spreader plates anywhere, except at the rear stay landing IF the metal is thin (but recommended anyway).

We drive a former rock crawler.  Our outriggers are oriented flat (long sides on top and bottom).  Also 2x4x.25

Bricoop wrote:

We drive a former rock crawler.  Our outriggers are oriented flat (long sides on top and bottom).  Also 2x4x.25

Knowing that's allowed, I'm going to do the same I think.
What did you do about the cab mounts? On my ranger the frame already has something similar to outriggers right where I need them, with big rubber bushings on top that the cab sits on.  I'm thinking about removing these completely, putting my (longer) outriggers there and then putting bolt holes in them to put the cab bushings back in their proper location.  The cab mounts are inboard from the desired cage landings, but longitudinally they're right in the way.
I'll have to email Pagel again to see if a 1/2" vertical hole through the middle of my outriggers is ok, I guess.

If you remove the cab supports, you'd be asking the outrigger to support the cab as well as the cage, correct?

Another email is a really good idea

King 1 wrote:
Bricoop wrote:

Knowing that's allowed, I'm going to do the same I think.
What did you do about the cab mounts? On my ranger the frame already has something similar to outriggers right where I need them, with big rubber bushings on top that the cab sits on.  I'm thinking about removing these completely, putting my (longer) outriggers there and then putting bolt holes in them to put the cab bushings back in their proper location.  The cab mounts are inboard from the desired cage landings, but longitudinally they're right in the way.
I'll have to email Pagel again to see if a 1/2" vertical hole through the middle of my outriggers is ok, I guess.

I’ll get you some photos. My ranger connects to the original Frame. What year is your ranger?

https://imgur.com/gallery/7lWu6oc

Here’s a couple photos. Notice how the bars go into the cutout of the door. Also, put the A pillar as far forward as you can(not pictured). Our halo seat makes it a little tight. Nothing that worries me, but a couple extra inches would be nice.

I love this. I hadn't thought of running the outriggers under and through the cab supports like in the second picture.  How did you do the front?  There is a suspension arm attached in the middle of the cab support.
Mine is an 88 short cab btw.

https://imgur.com/gallery/NH9p5Zt

Here’s a few more. One measurement of the back (next to the exhaust) and 2 photos up front.

Make sure Pagel is cool with your idea. And if he isn’t, it’s a dumb idea you came up with on your own. wink