Topic: Adding a roof to convertible E36 vert

I want to add a 'roof' to our E36 convertible because the arm restraints are annoying and I think it would make things more comfortable in rain.

Has anyone done this before?

For contour purposes, I guess I'd probably weld some rails between windshield frame and back of roll cage and then weld 22ga sheets to the rails, thus avoiding having to match up contact points to a single flat monolithic piece of sheet metal.

Sort of a fringe question - Would a carbon fiber roof be frowned upon? I vowed to never buy a carbon fiber front air splitter again on another car that I have after destroying 2 of them pulling into parking lots and have subsequently gained a lot of knowledge in that area (and I have materials for that).

Any examples I could reference of people who have added tops to their 'vert would be really very helpful.

Thanks you

Re: Adding a roof to convertible E36 vert

I'd suggest riveting aluminum sheet to your rails; it would save weight up high.

We found 2' x 3' aluminum panels at our local Lowe's racing supply store for pretty cheap, for our glass sunroof replacement. An afternoon of trimming to fit, drilling and riveting (and a tube of Permatex to seal it) did the job.  The cheap hand-rivet kits work fine for non-finesse jobs.  Two layers of duct tape on the inside helped a lot with the oil canning/drum effect.

3 (edited by 545days 2021-01-11 07:58 PM)

We put a steel roof on our Fiat X1/9.  We bolted it to the roll cage with straps intended to connect chain link fence mesh to the posts.  The car is exocaged because it is tiny and my son is 6'-6", so our roof sits 4 " or so above the top of the windshield.  Sitting on the floor with the seat removed and no helmet his head stuck above the targa bar.  Rain coming through the 4" gap has never really been an issue for us.

We still run arm restraints and window nets anyway.

We built it by forming the steel over the roll cage with a rubber mallet and welding up the seams where we needed to cut out a bit to fit the panel.  The shape and weld make it stiff enough that we have no issues with it oil canning.

why not go to a yard and cut one off, gut it, then weld it to your car?

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

Mr.Yuck wrote:

why not go to a yard and cut one off, gut it, then weld it to your car?

Have not been to a junkyard before. Maybe it's time for that rite of passage.

A Lemons racer who’s never been to a junkyard? Where do you get your parts, the dealer?

I kid, but that’s a heck of a thing to admit out loud!

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

The intent of the "roof" rule is to keep extremities within the cage in a flip.  Centrifugal force is much stronger than you.  Any material that keeps your pink lil bod inside will suffice so whether it's CF, netting or old stop signs is probably ok as long as they are well secured.

Never been to a junkyard?

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

Coworker had a car that was sitting for 3.5y in a parking garage w/ the top down - dead battery - emergency flasher button stuck on - interior destroyed etc. Sold it to me for $500 - invited him to the race in November as an honorary team member.

Car was not sitting in junk yard. Car was sitting in parking garage. Like I said - I'll get there - rite of passage.

... anyway - I like the idea of riveting aluminum to welded structural rails - I think that's great input
,,, also like the idea of cutting  one off and welding it on - except it may not be particularly feasible given roll cage height and structural differences between E36 body styles

both good ideas - thx

Type44 wrote:

A Lemons racer who’s never been to a junkyard? Where do you get your parts, the dealer?

Eh, the last time I went shopping at a junkyard was well over fifteen years ago, long before I became a Lemons racer. Even at that time none of the local or even not-so-local yards had a sufficiently reliable inventory of old enough, odd enough stuff to make a trip worthwhile.

If I want parts for a '67 SAAB, a '70 International, or an '82 Austin, I'll either contact a specialty outfit, find a parts car, or try getting ahold of that one guy in the club who has his own stash. The same's true for my less mainstream vehicles, too.

1982 MG Metro 1300: IOE 2015 Pacific Northworst GP, Longest Distance 2010 Cd'L Box Wine Country Classic
1980 KV Mini 1: Worst of Show and Fright Pig Supremo 2009 Concours d'Lemons
1978 H Special: Second-Round Elimination 2010 Lemons Pinewood Derby at Sears Pointless
1967 SAAB 96: IOE 2012 Pacific Northworst GP, Organizer's Choice 2022 Hell on Wheels California Rally

We run an e30 vert which we've added a roof.  We welded 3/4 square tubing from the top windshield frame back to the main hoop.  Made a cardboard template and then cut some .03" sheet metal to match the template.  Clamped it in place and drilled holes where we wanted it to attach to the front and side edges. We added nut-certs(?) to the square tubing and top rear seam of the windshield frame. where we had drilled holes.  Then added some slots for zip ties to attach the "roof" to the main hoop.  I can send you some pics if you send me your email or cell #.

"We Got Screwed" NHMS 2017, 4th NHMS 2020,  4th NJMP 2021,
"Judges Choice" NHMS 2021,10th NJMP 2022, 3rd Thompson 2022
#847 Batmobile  aka-"Beulah"  search Squidrope Racing on Facebook

squidrope wrote:

We run an e30 vert which we've added a roof.  We welded 3/4 square tubing from the top windshield frame back to the main hoop.  Made a cardboard template and then cut some .03" sheet metal to match the template.  Clamped it in place and drilled holes where we wanted it to attach to the front and side edges. We added nut-certs(?) to the square tubing and top rear seam of the windshield frame. where we had drilled holes.  Then added some slots for zip ties to attach the "roof" to the main hoop.  I can send you some pics if you send me your email or cell #.

Starting to get the idea -
It sounds like a good way to bridge the gap between the roll cage and the main hoop.
Basically, my plan now (after these helpful anecdotes) is a mixture of your design and the rivets+aluminum design.

I recently built a roof for our '05 Saab convertible. A doc with the list of parts, pictures, and description of what we did is here if you are curious. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gZO … lW4iE/edit

We've run it on a track day and a race, and so far so good.

It's essentially two sheets of aluminum, with rivets, with hose clamps, bolts, and some aluminum bars to hold it down.

Hope this helps,

-Chad