Topic: Hints on streaming our dashcam / race video live

We were quite excited recently to try connecting a GoPro 8 with twitch streaming through our phone to watch the mayhem live from the pits. However it appears the connection is somewhat spotty, and if there does not appear to be a retry for the stream, thus we lose connection (and local logging to SD).

Does anyone have some tips / tricks for setting up a network connection from the car to the pit, or directly to the internet?

We were hoping for some kind of hotspot relay type gadget which may go over a race radio, perhaps a wifi or some other transmitter from the car to the pit, or maybe some magical device which acts like a wifi router / proxy in the car and buffers / keeps alive the connections while retrying the network connections.

Would love to hear what others have has setups for live streaming from the car and sending telemetry. I've noticed some of you have this going in the pits :-)

Thanks!

2 (edited by Guildenstern 2021-02-20 02:14 PM)

Re: Hints on streaming our dashcam / race video live

There are Streaming encoder boxes you can hook to a Cell hotspot (or Starlink if you can get your mitts on it)
Stuff like this: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/wir … s/ci/38525

There's cheaper, and ones you can use a cell phone or hotspot separate. But that's the kinda stuff that would give you easy operation.
HDMI goes in, Stream comes out.

As always your biggest hurdle is going to be getting solid reliable Internet that isn't at Satellite data rates. Some track have cuh-hrappy cell service.

As for video to the pit, you're looking at high frequency, high bandwidth line of sight. If tracks could be convinced to put up a bounce either tethered balloon or tower in the middle of the track. You might have a chance, but most tracks can't even keep a bathroom running all weekend so......yea. There's a reason why there's Blimps at big race events. They're signal platforms.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Thanks!

I actually just got a starlink invitation yesterday - does anyone have experience using this from a racecar? They seem to indicate it would. Maybe that's the thing to try out.

I was also wondering if a cell signal booster is helpful. I know at Sonoma and The Ridge coverage was very crraaaappy.

Cheers!

You definitely want to NOT flip over on the antenna. That ain't a Radioshack standard inventory part.

A signal booster could help some, but even then, you still are fighting for limited bandwidth access. Everyone's running a lap timer, Everyones on the phone, and everyones bored kids/spouses are trying to watch Netflix the whole weekend.

A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)

Starlink doesn’t work on a moving vehicle. You’ll need to setup a link from the car to a base station that has the Starlink uplink.

A cell link in the car is the simplest setup.

Too bad about starlink.

Any ideas on how to get the cell signal to be reliable, for example are these weboost amplifiers good enough?

weBoost Drive Reach (470154) Vehicle Cell Phone Signal Booster | Car, Truck, Van, or SUV | U.S. Company | All U.S. Networks & Carriers -Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint & More | FCC Approved https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PDVTMM6/re … NNA9KHSAV5

7 (edited by Guildenstern 2021-02-21 10:40 AM)

TrackGeeks_Chris wrote:

Starlink doesn’t work on a moving vehicle. You’ll need to setup a link from the car to a base station that has the Starlink uplink.

A cell link in the car is the simplest setup.

Is it being software limited? Because part of its point is to feed the stupid Tesla onboard toy-puter.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/musk-spacexs … g-vehicles

The current hardware isn't designed for a moving platform. It is a phased array dish but it isn't in any kind of a aerodynamic dome that can handle hurricane force winds.

That's really more an installation issue not a hardware limitation.

Amateur Radio Television? Broadcasting a TV signal over HAM radio bands?

Guildenstern wrote:

That's really more an installation issue not a hardware limitation.

The dish is pretty slow acquiring the signal so I expect if you move it around much it won't be able to keep a lock on the satellite.

I have one on order. I'll be able to tell you more when it arrives and I have first hand experience.

12 (edited by alloriginaltone 2021-02-22 01:38 PM)

Let's say you can get a stable connection and it doesn't drop a bunch of frames.   That's a huge accomplishment and would require some luck (as in great tower signal strength throughout the track) without a big budget.  BUT....if you could....what do you want to do next?

The reason I ask is because the latency on most streaming platforms is 20-30 seconds.  Amazon AWS is probably the best around 5 seconds...but you have to know how to code.

So, streaming over any of the typical solutions, the driver will be 1/4 to 1/3 the way around most tracks by the time you see the footage.

If you are sharing it with friends and family at home this would be great.  If you want to provide guidance and coaching on driving lines, shifting points etc, after the fact but maybe before they get around again, also could be possible....it's a lot to think about though.  But useless for anything real-time.

To have anything real-time you would need a wireless transmitter in the car and receiver at the track.  You're in the $2k - $5k range for that tech given track sizes.  It exists...but only for deep enough pockets.  You can look at the TereDek gear.  I think that's the only stuff that will transmit reliably far enough.