26 (edited by chaase 2021-03-01 01:44 PM)

Re: Wing options, so we don't fly away

Passaable wrote:

I think you all know the short answer on why we haven't used the coilovers to balance our car - we don't really know what we are doing.

My assumption was to get it balanced the back end would have to be much lower than the front end, and thus it would have some weird aerodynamics problems.

If you folks are saying it can be done, and works reasonably well - we will definitely give it a go.

Also - if 50/50 is not the ideal balance - I'd love to learn more on why that is for fwd cars.

Thanks for all your insights!

Lots of good comments here, in short though, if the rear is lifting there are things that can be done that are not wing related. Stiffen front springs to reduce nose dive. Change brake compounds front vs rear, the front may be biting too hard as well. Front/rear brake bias has an effect. shifting weight to the rear of the car from the front battery, fuel cell, cool system, etc.

1992 Saturn SL2 (retired) - Elmo's Revenge -  Class B winner, Heroic Fix winner x2
1969 Rover P6B 3500S(sold) - Super G-Rover - I.O.E Winner, Class C Winner
1996 Saturn SW2 - Elmo's Revenge (reborn!), Saturn SL1  Dazzleshipm Class C x2 and IOE winner
1974 AMC Javelin - Oscar's Trash heap - IOE,”Organizer's Choice" and "I got Screwed" award winner

Passaable wrote:

I think you all know the short answer on why we haven't used the coilovers to balance our car - we don't really know what we are doing.

My assumption was to get it balanced the back end would have to be much lower than the front end, and thus it would have some weird aerodynamics problems.

If you folks are saying it can be done, and works reasonably well - we will definitely give it a go.

Also - if 50/50 is not the ideal balance - I'd love to learn more on why that is for fwd cars.

The link below is what we used, and it worked great for us.  Most everything you need to know right on that page IMO.

LINK

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!

For one trying to get a 50/50 balance on a FWD car is impossible unless you add weight to the rear end.  The heavy items in a car, any car, is the engine and trans.  On a FWD car what are you going to move to get that 50/50 balance?

There will always be weight shift when accelerating.  if you are static 50/50 when you are full throttle you are now rear biased and losing front grip,  front grip is the most important thing on a fwd.  There is no perfect weight balance of any car, it is driver and car specific to what someone likes and what makes the car do what you want.  Ive no idea how you got an integra 50/50 unless you are talking 50/50 CROSSWEIGHT which is usually the goal.

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

30 (edited by NOPANTSDOUGIE 2021-03-02 06:08 AM)

Passaable wrote:

heres a good video on fwd weight distribution,  also he is an aero engineer and has many videos on DIY aero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vh3XV6Sw38

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

NOPANTSDOUGIE wrote:

TIve no idea how you got an integra 50/50 unless you are talking 50/50 CROSSWEIGHT which is usually the goal.

Yes, I'm talking about cross weight.

Captain
Team Super Westerfield Bros.
'93 Acura Integra - No VTEC Yo!