801 (edited by darkostoj 2020-09-07 02:37 PM)

Re: I bought a Rolls Royce and want to build it.

cheseroo wrote:

At this point I'd consider working on the other end of the car and add more rear swaybar to get it to rotate.  Compressing 1500+ lb springs would scare the poop out of me.  IIRC I had 1200 lb springs in the XJ12 and installing them was about as exciting as I want to get.  Seems to me you want to control roll with bars, not springs.

Every person I talked to said I need to not use a rear sway bar since its a solid axle and not needed.

I also have a problem where the rear inside wheel will almost completely lift under hard corning and can cause the wheel to spin to where I can't put traction down...my thought is that adding the sway bar would make that problem worse.

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

MAYBE....take some grip away from the back of the car to get the front to bite more???

Team Sucker Punch: Winner Class B Doing Time at Joliet 2023 Autobahn ,Winner Org Choice award Were the Elite Meet to Cheat 2015
Chevy Camaro (Tiger striped #38)  (1989-2017 RIP old friend)
Chevy Corvette 1984......and still racing!

Not sure I subscribe to the no sway bar on a solid axle car theory.  Sure you don't have a bind going on back there?  I can't recall how you located that rear end, 4 link?  If you can't do anything to the rear of the car your hands are kind of tied.  If you can't change it, add rake is all I can think of but seems to me your problem lies out back, not up front.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

IIRC you’ve got a hella stout home brew 4 link back there? My guess is you have a bind in your rear suspension. I also would not shy away from a sway bar just because it’s a solid axle. If you still have outside edge tire wear at -4 camber with aggressive toe out, that is some serious push (which is how you’re describing the feel)... yeah, look carefully at the rear setup.

Tradewinds Tribesmen Racing (The road goes on forever…)
#289 1984 Corvette Z51 #124 1984 944 #110 2002 Passat
Gone but not forgotten, #427-Hong Kong Cavaliers Benz S500
IOE (Humber!) Hell on Wheels (Jaguar)

805 (edited by Guildenstern 2020-09-09 04:15 AM)

The ONLY live rear axle that doesn't need a sway-bar is a Leaf Spring suspension, because nothing is really going to help it much.

But the issue seems to be your rear roll center may be too high, so when you go into a turn, no matter the front spring stiffness, the whole front of the car is rolling "lower" causing a lever action on the inside rear. Also causing it to roll over onto the outer edge of the front tire.

If you can't give it any more front sway bar, you need to think either raise front roll center, or lower rear roll center.

http://kb.fmiracing.com/caster-camber-s … -explained

https://suspensionsecrets.co.uk/roll-ce … ll-moment/

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

Haven't posted in a while, but making some pretty big changes to car.

Thought I would start to be more active here since this is going to be a busy year.

A question.....

On a car that has dual master cylinders, is there a way to electrically adjust front/rear bias?  I don't think my pedal box has a way to adjust the balance bar ratio.

I'm assuming something that will restrict rear brake pressure electrically???

2018 Where the Elite Meet to Cheat - Organizer's Choice Award
2019 Rust Belt GP - Spirit of Entropy Award
2019 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Index of Effluency Award
2020 The Tony Swan Never-Say-Die Memorial - Class C Lap Winner

You want one of these type dealios
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wil- … 8QAvD_BwE/

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)