Topic: Window material for everything behind the front doors

The title for this is the TL;DR so let's get into the elaboration.

Our windshield will be OEM/OEM replacement (whatever is on the car now) and our front side windows have been removed.  Them's the rules, got it.

Now I need clarification on the REST of the windows.  We will have driver and passenger side "rear door" windows, rear quarters, and a hatch.  For safety and weight I would like to remove the glass but teammates would like the option of covering those areas.  For the windshield the rules specify polycarbonate if removing the glass, but is this a requirement for other windows as well?  Can we use acrylic to cover the window openings behind the driver?  The rulebook does not specify...

Thanks,

Re: Window material for everything behind the front doors

You can. Although for the rear hatch you may want to use Poly just for fit and clarity. And yes you want the hatch covered. A lot of hatch backs have a bad habit of sucking exhaust in through an open hatch due to their aerodynamics.

Unless it's a very old car, side glass is no big deal and no big safety issue. As tempered glass it pops into the little chunks which make a mess but are fairly safe. And as for weight.....yea the weight of some windows isn't going to be your win vs loss factor.

Mistake By The Lake Racing (MBTL)
88 Thunderbird "THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO!", Ex Astris, Rubigo / Semper Fracti
A&D: 2014 Sebrings at Sebring (NSF), 2014 NJMP2 Jurassic Park (SpeedyCop), 2012 Summit Point J30 (PiNuts)
2018 Route Sucky-Suck Rally Miata, 2019 World Tour Of Texas 64 Newport

For door glass lately I've been keeping the glass but removing all the rest of the guts.  I keep the glass.  For storage I made wood struts to hold the glass up and then just remove all that for racing.  It's nice to have a weathertight car when stored.

1990 RX7 "Mazdarita"  1964 Sunbeam Imp (IOE 2013 Sears Pointless) 2002 Jaguar x-type (Winner C-Class 2021 Sears Pointless)
Gone bye-bye
1994 Jaguar XJ12 (Winner C-Class 2013 Sears Pointless)  1980 Rover SD1 (I Got Screwed 2014 Return of Lemonites)

cheseroo wrote:

For door glass lately I've been keeping the glass but removing all the rest of the guts.  I keep the glass.  For storage I made wood struts to hold the glass up and then just remove all that for racing.  It's nice to have a weathertight car when stored.

We have a garage when the car it not in use and will cover the openings when we're not driving.  Unfortunately for this car keeping the glass is long since a non-starter, and finding more is near impossible without buying a new set if it's even available (many parts are not)

4X8 Sheet of good 3mm poly from my local plastics supply is 95$  enough to do a whole car easily.

959 Toyota Tercel   6x Lemons loser

New England Area roll cages send me an email I'm in Central MA

cheseroo wrote:

This is my plan as well on our Milano. It lives outside in Oregon so needs to be water right.  And currently the windows are all intact and hooked up, but I plan to pull the regulators and sell them off.

NOPANTSDOUGIE wrote:

4X8 Sheet of good 3mm poly from my local plastics supply is 95$  enough to do a whole car easily.

Not a Gen III F-body (Camaro, F-bird). I'd probably go with plexi for the rear windows if they aren't too large or have curves, but the rear hatch you'll want some lexan and at least 3/16 thick. We ordered a complete pre-bent scratch resistant unit for our car. Wasn't cheap. You'll also need steel straps if you run anything other than a stock hatch.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

My vote would be for using polycarbonate. The properties of poly make it strong and easier to work with. That is what bullet proof glass is made of. While acrylic can be strong like in fish tanks it is also more brittle. My neighbor didn’t want to take my advice to use polycarbonate to replace his rear camper shell window due to price. He has now had two windows built of acrylic proceed to shatter. An added benefit of polycarbonate is that you can use heat to add some shape to your project.

Good luck,

Philip

Yes, Polycarbonate.    Found this in the rules.

3.J.1 Windshields. A sturdy, driver-protecting windshield is required; if glass, it must be OE-type. Real polycarbonate or strong, securely mounted steel mesh is also acceptable. Acrylic and all other non-polycarbonate plastics are not allowed.  All non-OE windshields must be thick enough and suitably braced to resist a heavy object striking the windshield at speed.

keycat wrote:

Yes, Polycarbonate.    Found this in the rules.

3.J.1 Windshields. A sturdy, driver-protecting windshield is required; if glass, it must be OE-type. Real polycarbonate or strong, securely mounted steel mesh is also acceptable. Acrylic and all other non-polycarbonate plastics are not allowed.  All non-OE windshields must be thick enough and suitably braced to resist a heavy object striking the windshield at speed.

He's not talking about the front windshield.

"get up and get your grandma outta here"

He's not talking about the front windshield

You are quite correct!  My bad. Late at night and misread windshields as all of the windows.

Regards